speak/talk to/with Options
Koh Elaine
Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2018 3:42:51 PM

Neurons: 15,338
1. I want to talk to you.
2, I want to talk with you.
3. I want to speak to you.
4. I want to speak with you.

What is the difference between the sentences?

I believe the British and the American native speakers of English do differ in their interpretations.

Thanks.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2018 4:31:12 PM

Neurons: 169,652
Hi Koh Elaine.

They are not really different statements - the "with" ones are not very likely to be heard, though, and the "speak" ones are not very likely either.

The phrasing you would more likely hear in Britain would be something like "Have you got a minute? I'd like to have a word."

"I want to talk to you" sounds (to me) like "I have a complaint to make" said by someone who is (or considers themself to be) your boss, senior or some in way better than you.

Looking at them literally (which no-one would normally really do) if you "talk to" someone you do all the talking - if you "talk with" someone, you have a conversation.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
NKM
Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2018 5:25:16 PM

Neurons: 242,831
DragO's observations are just as relevant to American as to British English, except that we'd probably say "have a talk" instead of "have a word".

"I want to talk to you" is likely to sound confrontational, though of course tone of voice can make it less so.

In American English there's a noun "talking-to" (synonymous with "dressing-down"), as in "That lad needs a good talking-to!"