The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Suggestions for a film studio's name Options
Parpar1836
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2018 8:23:56 PM

Neurons: 10,201
We all know how important names are. The tiny, independent company that I work for has set up a video/film production branch that we wanted to call Redbird Studio, trademarking it and all. When my co-staffer (the technical guy) was checking domain-name registrations, he discovered that "Redbird Studio" had already been registered by another company. I contacted the company to ask if we could purchase the domain name, and, as it turns out, there is already a "Redbird Studio" media company in Los Angeles, and we're advised to find another trademark. (But there's no indication that this company actually trademarked the name; an online search of trademarks indicates that it's available.) The logo (with a cardinal) isn't a problem; the name is, and having two Redbird Studios might well indeed create confusion and legal problems.

Problem is, we have a redbird (cardinal) as our company's logo, and a graphic-artist friend already designed a smashing logo, so we'd like to find some sort of name that ties in with a cardinal. The logo can be changed, of course, but it would be good to have an "i" in it. (In the Redbird Studio" logo designed by the artist, the dot over the "i" is a stylized cardinal, a lovely touch.) I suggested "Redfinch," but someone else already registered that. "Red Wings" is another no-no; it's the AAA baseball team in Rochester, New York (where we live and work). "Red Feather" didn't exactly inspire elation when I suggested it to the boss. We're thinking of "Red Luna" or suchlike. Yes, I perused TFD's synonyms for "red." Someone already has "Carmine Studio." As for "Crimson Bird," dunno.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
TMe
Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2018 1:06:08 AM

Neurons: 4,943

I suggest

Cupid Studios

or

Red Cupid Studios

I am a layman.
Pandion haliaetus
Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2018 1:58:43 AM

Neurons: 80,738
Hi, Parpar 1836,

I would suggest, and, as you may see it from my nom de guerre, I have reasons to do so, to examine the following path of choosing the right term - try the bird's name in Latin.

A latin name (there are many of them for different species) for all cardinal-birds which suits your demands most is Richmondena cardinalis. Suppose, for the sake of brevity, you take the first word of it: being a part of the universal scientific classification, it, if taken as a logo, will hardly arouse any claims. Richmondena contains the 'i'-letter, the idea of it is as closely connected with your logo as nothing else is, and it simply sounds good (Richmondena Studio).
A red bird can be confused with an oriole, and if it is not the Redbird (which, as you've said, can't be registered), then Richmondena comes in to substitute it with relevancy, I think.
In fact, Richmondena cardinalis is another bird (blue grosbeak) of the same family as the northern cardinal, the name given after
the renowned American ornithologist Charles Wallace Richmond.
Parpar1836
Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2018 3:49:53 PM

Neurons: 10,201
Thank you, TMe and Pandion halietus, for your responses. I checked the Latin nomenclature yesterday, and even suggested doing it in Japanese (my boss's Japanese godson is a partner in the venture), but the young man insists on English. Which would rule out Japanese (Akaitori) and Latin (Cardinalis cardinalis just doesn't clinch it for us).

As Hamlet noted, "When the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw." I can justly claim to know an osprey from an ostrich.

We're planning to contact our copyright lawyer about this.
TMe
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2018 12:51:49 AM

Neurons: 4,943
Hamlet knows who his enemies are. And he is letting them know that he is capable of taking care of himself. Though he is very sly. Only when the wind is north northwest.

I am a layman.