The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

It is a capital mistake to theorize before you have all the evidence. It biases the judgment. Options
Daemon
Posted: Thursday, July 5, 2018 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 74,847
It is a capital mistake to theorize before you have all the evidence. It biases the judgment.

Arthur Conan Doyle (1859-1930)
KSPavan
Posted: Thursday, July 5, 2018 4:09:52 AM

Neurons: 2,608,696
Quotation of the Day

It is a capital mistake to theorize before you have all the evidence. It biases the judgment.

monamagda
Posted: Thursday, July 5, 2018 6:32:33 AM

Neurons: 4,571,501

Context from :A Study in Scarlet

PART I.

CHAPTER III.

THE LAURISTON GARDENS MYSTERY (continued)

"Why, it is just such a chance as you have been longing for."

"My dear fellow, what does it matter to me. Supposing I unravel the whole matter, you may be sure that Gregson, Lestrade, and Co. will pocket all the credit. That comes of being an unofficial personage."

"But he begs you to help him."

"Yes. He knows that I am his superior, and acknowledges it to me; but he would cut his tongue out before he would own it to any third person. However, we may as well go and have a look. I shall work it out on my own hook. I may have a laugh at them if I have nothing else. Come on!"

He hustled on his overcoat, and bustled about in a way that showed that an energetic fit had superseded the apathetic one.

"Get your hat," he said.

"You wish me to come?"

"Yes, if you have nothing better to do." A minute later we were both in a hansom, driving furiously for the Brixton Road.

It was a foggy, cloudy morning, and a dun-coloured veil hung over the house-tops, looking like the reflection of the mud-coloured streets beneath. My companion was in the best of spirits, and prattled away about Cremona fiddles, and the difference between a Stradivarius and an Amati. As for myself, I was silent, for the dull weather and the melancholy business upon which we were engaged, depressed my spirits.

"You don't seem to give much thought to the matter in hand," I said at last, interrupting Holmes' musical disquisition.

"No data yet," he answered. "It is a capital mistake to theorize before you have all the evidence. It biases the judgment."

"You will have your data soon," I remarked, pointing with my finger; "this is the Brixton Road, and that is the house, if I am not very much mistaken."

Read more:http://www.literaturepage.com/read/astudyinscarlet-23.html

Bully_rus
Posted: Thursday, July 5, 2018 11:37:12 AM

Neurons: 186,598
Daemon wrote:

Yeah. Any capital mistake deserves capital punishment, isn't it? Off with his head! This is just a suggestion, not a theory...
dave argo
Posted: Thursday, July 5, 2018 5:08:42 PM

Neurons: 64,851
Daemon wrote:

Only if the evidence can't be squeezed into the theory.
Emel Rapchan
Posted: Thursday, July 5, 2018 7:31:26 PM

Neurons: 290,265
It is a capital mistake to theorize before you have all the evidence.
It biases the judgment

Arthur Conan Doyle (1859-1930) - Here some interesting facts about him:
- His name was, in fact, Arthur Ignatius Conan Doyle
- A British writer who was best known for his detective fiction featuring the character of Sherlock Holmes.
- Originally a physician, in 1887 he published A Study in Scarlet, the first of four novels about Holmes and Dr. Watson.
- In addition, Doyle wrote over fifty short stories featuring the famous detective.
- The Sherlock Holmes stories are generally considered milestones in the field of crime fiction.
- Doyle is also known for writing the fictional adventures of Professor Challenger and for propagating the mystery of the Mary Celeste.
- He was a prolific writer whose other works include fantasy and science fiction stories, plays, romances, poetry, non-fiction and historical novels.
- Doyle was a doctor on the Greenland whaler Hope of Peterhead in 1880 and, after his graduation from university in 1881 as M.B., C.M., a ship's
- He struggled to find a publisher for his work.
- His first work featuring Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson, A Study in Scarlet, was taken by Ward Lock & Co on 20 November 1886, giving him £25 (£2500 today) for all rights to the story.
- The piece appeared one year later in the Beeton's Christmas Annual and received good reviews in The Scotsman and the Glasgow Herald.
- His character, Holmes, was partially modeled on his former university teacher Joseph Bell.

For more deeper information, go to:
http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Sir+Arthur+Conan+Doyle