The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Mysterious Beast of Gévaudan Kills Its First Victim (1764) Options
Daemon
Posted: Saturday, June 30, 2018 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 77,139
Mysterious Beast of Gévaudan Kills Its First Victim (1764)

From 1764 to 1767, the people of Gévaudan, France, reported dozens of sightings of a man-eating, wolf-like creature now known as the Beast of Gévaudan. According to many accounts, the beast—consistently described as having large teeth and an immense tail—killed some 100 people, prompting King Louis XV to send hunters to slay it. Some stories say a local hunter shot the beast, possibly with silver bullets. What mythical creature did some suggest was behind the attacks? More...
KSPavan
Posted: Saturday, June 30, 2018 4:42:02 AM

Neurons: 2,747,965
This Day in History
Mysterious Beast of Gévaudan Kills Its First Victim (1764)
From 1764 to 1767, the people of Gévaudan, France, reported dozens of sightings of a man-eating, wolf-like creature now known as the Beast of Gévaudan. According to many accounts, the beast—consistently described as having large teeth and an immense tail—killed some 100 people, prompting King Louis XV to send hunters to slay it. Some stories say a local hunter shot the beast, possibly with silver bullets.
ChristopherJohnson
Posted: Saturday, June 30, 2018 10:03:38 AM

Neurons: 1,265,862
I never stop wondering, what this beast rally was. I had seen a film about the events (which seemed to me very fantastic and far-fetched as a piece of fiction) when I found, to my great astonishment, that the truth was possibly even weirder and scary, At least, the beast really existed and killed people. Indeed, sometimes life is more bizarre than fiction.