The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Mexican Emperor Maximilian I Executed by Firing Squad (1867) Options
Daemon
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2018 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 74,877
Mexican Emperor Maximilian I Executed by Firing Squad (1867)

In the 1860s, France sought to establish an empire in Mexico. Ferdinand Maximilian, an Austrian navy chief and member of the Habsburg dynasty, accepted Napoleon III's offer of the throne, naively believing that the Mexicans had voted him their king. In reality, Maximilian's only support came from the French army, and the empire was doomed. In 1866, Napoleon withdrew his troops. Maximilian refused to abdicate and was captured and executed, ending the empire. What were his last words? More...
KSPavan
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2018 2:17:55 AM

Neurons: 2,608,696
This Day in History
Mexican Emperor Maximilian I Executed by Firing Squad (1867)
In the 1860s, France sought to establish an empire in Mexico. Ferdinand Maximilian, an Austrian navy chief and member of the Habsburg dynasty, accepted Napoleon III's offer of the throne, naively believing that the Mexicans had voted him their king. In reality, Maximilian's only support came from the French army, and the empire was doomed. In 1866, Napoleon withdrew his troops. Maximilian refused to abdicate and was captured and executed, ending the empire.
monamagda
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2018 8:51:43 PM

Neurons: 4,571,501

Maximilian's last words were:

Mexicans!

….. persons of my rank and origin are destined by God either to be benefactors of the people or martyrs.

Called by a great part of you, I came for the good of the country.

Ambition did not bring me here.

I came with the best of intentions and sincerest wishes for the future of my adopted country and for that of my soldiers, whom I thank before my death for the sacrifices which they have made for me.

Mexicans! …..

May my blood be the last which shall be spilled for the welfare of the country and if it should be necessary that its sons should still shed theirs, may it flow for its good, never by treason…..

Long live Independence…..

Long live Mexico!