The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

mess of pottage Options
Daemon
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2018 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 76,428
mess of pottage

Something of little, trivial, or no value but which appears to be attractive or valuable on first reckoning. An allusion to Esau in Genesis 25:29–32, who sells to Jacob his birthright to his family's estate for a bowl of lentil stew (pottage). More...

KSPavan
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2018 4:30:17 AM

Neurons: 2,698,804
Idiom of the Day
mess of pottage — Something of little, trivial, or no value but which appears to be attractive or valuable on first reckoning. An allusion to Esau in Genesis 25:29–32, who sells to Jacob his birthright to his family's estate for a bowl of lentil stew (pottage).
Squawk Box
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2018 2:00:06 PM

Neurons: 1,090
New Living Translation
Esau said to Jacob, "I'm starved! Give me some of that red stew!" (This is how Esau got his other name, Edom, which means "red.")
"All right," Jacob replied, "but trade me your rights as the firstborn son." "Look, I'm dying of starvation!" said Esau. "What good is my birthright to me now?"
But Jacob said, "First you must swear that your birthright is mine." So Esau swore an oath, thereby selling all his rights as the firstborn to his brother, Jacob.
Then Jacob gave Esau some bread and lentil stew. Esau ate the meal, then got up and left. He showed contempt for his rights as the firstborn.

Esau was a boorish oaf, who had no social manners, and he was always in the field hunting. Plus, he was given to exaggerations, since it is unlikely that he was starving to death. Once he ate the "mess of pottage", he arose and went on with his business. He had the sense of an animal, who could not distinguish what was valuable, from what was of little worth.

http://biblehub.com/genesis/25-30.htm

PS: he could have planned ahead a little, and packed some victuals in a knapsack, with a jug of water. Instead he ran himself into the ground, and then acted precipitously. A pretty stupid course of action in my view.
monamagda
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2018 5:23:44 PM

Neurons: 4,707,742
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Sunday, July 1, 2018 6:47:46 AM

Neurons: 6,957
Pottage means a thick soup or stew, it may be made from lentils as in the bible story but it's not a defining characteristic of a pottage.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/pottage
Quote:
pot·tage (pŏt′ĭj)
n.
1. A thick soup or stew of vegetables and sometimes meat.
2. Archaic Porridge.

It's just a little bit misleading for leaners who may now think pottage only means a lentil stew.

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.