The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Are these sentences grammatically OK? Options
robjen
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2018 11:06:54 PM

Neurons: 3,154
I have made up two sentences below.

(1) He is looking forward to the next basketball season that he is going to coach his team.

(2) By doing these IQ exercises, you can discover skills that you would never thought you possessed.

Are they grammatically correct?

Thanks.
palapaguy
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2018 11:19:12 PM

Neurons: 10,435
robjen wrote:

(1) He is looking forward to the next basketball season that he is going to coach his team.

(2) By doing these IQ exercises, you can discover skills that you would never thought you possessed.

Thanks.

No. Some suggestions are:

(1) He is looking forward to the next basketball season in which he is going to coach his team.

(2) By doing these IQ exercises, you can discover skills that you would never have thought you possessed.

Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2018 11:27:20 PM

Neurons: 172,312
I think that the first one is grammatically correct, but it does not sound very natural.
The word 'season' has an article, two modifiers and a relative clause - which seems a little clumsy.

I would shift it around:
He's looking forward to coaching his basketball team next season.

The second is not correct.
The verb-phrase in the final clause used an impossible combination of tenses and moods.

It could be "you would never have thought you possessed" or "you would never think you possess" or "you would never think you had possessed".

In this sentence, the first one seems to fit better.
The 'that' is not needed.

By doing these IQ exercises, you can discover skills you'd never have thought you possessed.

EDIT:
FounDit, palapaguy and I must have all started writing our replies about the same time, as we seem to be repeating each other.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
FounDit
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2018 11:30:04 PM

Neurons: 49,673
robjen wrote:

Thanks.

I agree with palapaguy that they need work.
As I read the first one, my thinking was, "He is looking forward to the next season". Why? Because he wants to coach his team. So his focus is really on coaching. So I think a better sentence would highlight that.

"He is looking forward to coaching his team in the next basketball season."

For the second one, inserting the word "have" makes the thought past perfect.

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
Parpar1836
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2018 10:30:37 AM

Neurons: 9,956
Is there a word or idiom in English (a an inimitable French expression) that expresses the feeling you have when you want to post a correction of a grammatically awkward sentence, only to discover that the mavens have beaten you to the punch, thereby rendering your correction superfluous?

Good to see these fine minds at work, though.
FounDit
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2018 11:35:15 AM

Neurons: 49,673
Parpar1836 wrote:
Is there a word or idiom in English (a an inimitable French expression) that expresses the feeling you have when you want to post a correction of a grammatically awkward sentence, only to discover that the mavens have beaten you to the punch, thereby rendering your correction superfluous?

Good to see these fine minds at work, though.

In my case, it's usually some variant of a four-letter word — "Well, "@!$%"...Whistle

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
Squawk Box
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2018 3:16:43 PM

Neurons: 1,080
robjen wrote:

Thanks.

No, they are not grammatical.
(1)He is looking forward to the upcoming basketball season, because he is going to coach his own team.

(2) By doing these IQ exercises, you may discover skills; that you would have never thought you possessed.

You will figure it out, it was only a matter of adding a few words and puctuation, to rectify the sentences.