The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

ethical question Options
rmberwin
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2018 5:44:12 PM

Neurons: 437
I was at a bookstore and I damaged the cover of a book. I brought the matter to the attention of a manager and suggested to him that I pay the store's cost for the book, and that the store could keep the book. The manager agreed to my offer. I'm wondering if I was fair to the bookstore. Should I have offered to pay the full price for the book? I assumed that they could perhaps sell the book at a discount.

"Great art should never be mushed up!!"
Hope123
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2018 11:28:05 PM

Neurons: 47,569
I think you did what was necessary, rmberwin. Brought it to their attention, paid what it cost the store, and they still had the book. They could send it back or sell it at a discount or even full price, depending how much it was damaged.

Besides, if they wanted full price they would have demanded it - and you would have bought the book.

I think you acted ethically but that is only my take on it.

The past is to be respected/acknowledged, not worshipped. It is in our future we will find our greatness. Pierre Trudeau
TMe
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2018 1:34:05 AM

Neurons: 4,943
You were ethical, rmberwin; but the integrity of store is not up to the mark. IMO

I am a layman.
Romany
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2018 5:37:33 AM

Neurons: 44,811
Agree. You did what you could to make amends. Had that not been satisfactory the shop wouldn't have agreed to this plan, so put your mind at rest.

If it was a big shop or part of a chain they have insurance against damage and
theft, so will not lose money. If it was a small,family -run shop you have ensured no-one will go hungry because of you!

That's, after all, what ethics are all about - making sure nobody suffers or is discomforted by our actions as we make our way through life.
Elvandil
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2018 6:58:41 AM

Neurons: 126,611
Chances are that the store used its insurance and ended up getting paid at least twice for the book. Nearly all merchants have insurance against damages of that sort.

(議思不の界世) pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ɟo sɹǝpuoʍ ǝɥʇ ɟo ǝuo sı ǝpoɔıun
ChrisKC
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2018 9:38:46 AM

Neurons: 128,536
You have actually written that you were prepared to 'pay for the cost of the book" but you meant, "pay for the cost of the damage to the book" as later, you mention about the full price of the book, I can't imagine the Manager refusing the offer to pay for a new book and for him to keep the damaged one!
rmberwin
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2018 7:02:57 PM

Neurons: 437
ChrisKC wrote:
You have actually written that you were prepared to 'pay for the cost of the book" but you meant, "pay for the cost of the damage to the book" as later, you mention about the full price of the book, I can't imagine the Manager refusing the offer to pay for a new book and for him to keep the damaged one!

By "cost of the book" I mean the wholesale price, the price that the store pays to the vendor. By "full price" I mean the retail price, which I found out is about double the wholesale price (that's top-secret information).

"Great art should never be mushed up!!"
TMe
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 11:20:15 AM

Neurons: 4,943
Very clever, rmbervinDancing Dancing Dancing Dancing

I am a layman.