The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

The Inexcusable Treatment of our G7 allies Options
mactoria
Posted: Sunday, June 10, 2018 8:06:10 PM

Neurons: 1,210,596
I've tried to stay silent for months now, but feel I have to write on behalf of only myself, though I believe hundreds of millions of my fellow Americans feel similarly ----

To my fellow TFD posters (and their fellow citizens) from Canada, the UK, Germany, France, Japan, and every other allies and friends of America, please know that real people in the US value your friendship, our shared history in war and peace, alliances we have shared, regardless of what our president has said and done. His treatment of PM Trudeau and the other G7 leaders is unbelieveable and unforgiveable; your countries and your elected leaders didn't deserve to be disrespected. While not all Americans feel the same about all issues or agreements between our country and yours, we (even many of those who polls show approve of Trump's general governance because they may like his tax plan, regulation cutbacks) respect your sovereignty, leadership, and the direction you'er trying to take the western world. Most Americans don't think it's wise or decent to disrespect our allies, then embrace dictators and autocrats like Putin and Kim. For me, it's appalling, distressing, and just not 'the American way." Please hang in there with us while we deal with our internal politics and justice system which hopefully will set things right.

NKM
Posted: Sunday, June 10, 2018 8:15:17 PM

Neurons: 235,332
I'm sure a lot of us feel that impeachment is overdue.

Hope123
Posted: Sunday, June 10, 2018 11:43:18 PM

Neurons: 45,038
Thank you, Mactoria and NKM. I wrote my rant yesterday in this thread. I'm still mad but like the quip of the European diplomat referring to Trump : The dog barks, the caravan moves on. I had not heard that one before but apparently it has been around for ever.

http://forum.thefreedictionary.com/postst182884_US-trade-war-with-China-has-backfired-already-in-solar-panels.aspx?find=unread

In a way, the DISRUPTOR MAN (he disrupts everything he touches and does it on purpose) has made even the Conservatives mad enough to pull together and support Liberal PM Trudeau. It might even help him in the election next year. The G6 rallied around him too.

Who comes into someone's home, skips a meeting, arrives late, leaves early, and complains that the host was nice? Your rude president does not belong in this group of leaders.

Feel sorry for yourselves too when the NAFTA deal which supports millions of US jobs falls through, which it will if Trump doesn't stop the zero sum game and bullying. It would be politcal suicide for the CDN govt to accept a bad deal for Canada and the sunset clause and agriculture changes insisted upon by the US are deal breakers for Canada. There will be absolute chaos at the border. Have you ever seen or heard how many trucks cross the border both ways every day? Bet Trump has not even thought of the logistics.

We definitely feel sorry for Americans too. Good luck with getting it sorted.

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do. Anon
Hope123
Posted: Sunday, June 10, 2018 11:55:38 PM

These numbers about the border and trade between the two countries are seven years old so they will be much higher now. But it gives an idea.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/the-canada-u-s-border-by-the-numbers-1.999207

Travellers help the economy too.

$12,667,000,000 — Amount Canadian travellers spent in the U.S. (2009)

$6,087,000,000 — Amount American travellers spent in Canada (2009)

Hope123
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2018 11:31:30 AM

The attacks on Trudeau and Canada on Twitter continue.

LOL. Just saw this cute tweet from God. If you can't get along with Canada you're not human.

I updated info on this thread.

http://forum.thefreedictionary.com/postst182884_US-trade-war-with-China-has-backfired-already-in-solar-panels.aspx

Hope123
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2018 12:14:45 PM

Mactoria, many Americans know the facts and are with us and your oiginal post. Thanks again for the empathy. I know Americans are doing what they can, and hope help comes soon enough from Congress before he ruins our country with illegal tariffs.

This article is from Dan Rather's "News and Guts" showing the same attitude as you by other Americans. Apologies to Canada are in other media too, counteracting Fox et al's attacks.

https://www.newsandguts.com/oh-canada-sorry/

progpen
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2018 1:21:43 PM

Neurons: 262,311
Thank you Hope, for the News and Guts link. Angela Merkel was correct. It is sobering and (more than) a bit depressing.

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
Hope123
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2018 5:04:31 PM

progpen wrote:
Thank you Hope, for the News and Guts link. Angela Merkel was correct. It is sobering and (more than) a bit depressing.

You are welcome, Proggy. I always liked Dan Rather. I heard about "New and Guts" through my son (a business financial exec who keeps up on international news) and now follow N & G on Twitter for sane true analysis of US news.

Romany
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2018 7:21:45 PM

Neurons: 43,375
But to-day actually I got a giggle out of the travesty of the Summit. I'd heard Trudeau's statement - normal, calm but firm & measured. Then the hyperbolic, red-eyes-blazing tweets, and then this guy comes on right out of Blazing Saddles and informs us that "There's a special place in hell reserved" for the leader of another country who made the rather reasonable statement that his country will always come first with him. Which rather goes with the job.

This very phrase calls to mind the wizened old cowboy, or valiant rookie who looks off into the distance and makes that statement in hundreds of movies since we were kids. And then we're into the Godfather and a bit of 'back-stabbing' rhetoric.

I've played this guys words through a couple of times now and they never fail to make me grin. And one thing's for sure: it's obviously not only Trump who watches too much TV!

(ps I wonder did this guy realise he was saying this stuff out loud? To be carried to all four corners of the globe? And existing as bytes forever? Bet he'll be in the doghouse tonight when his wife tells him!)

And don't worry Mactoria - I don't think there's anyone, anywhere, who thinks Donald & Co represent the American people.

Hope123
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2018 11:58:26 AM

Romany wrote: And don't worry Mactoria - I don't think there's anyone, anywhere, who thinks Donald & Co represent the American people.

I agree but with a caveat. I don't know how many Trump supporters along with the diplomats in Washington (unheard of ever before that minions take up the chant to castigate a foreign ally country or any country) are cheering on Trump's lying vicious vindictiveness against Canada to promote a trade war. I see a lot of hatred towards Canada now on Twitter that wasn't there before. The positive tweets and the letters to the editor of apologies to Canadians from Americans are obviously not from Trump supporters, judging by the way they describe him. I don't see FD, Wilmar, Squawk Box, or even Listening on this apology thread either, although there's always the possibility they didn't see it, I suppose.

I also originally wrote about the reasons for this attack - Trump has said from the get-go that he wants to get rid of NAFTA and this is his way of trying to make Canada responsible for that.

I then decided the post digressed too far into specifics and made it into a new thread about the potential disastrous effects of trade wars.

http://forum.thefreedictionary.com/postsm1046519_One-map-shows-why-Trump-s-trade-fight-with-Canada-could-end-in-disaster.aspx#1046519

progpen
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 8:39:55 AM

Neurons: 262,311
NKM wrote:
I'm sure a lot of us feel that impeachment is overdue.

I've mentioned in a few threads here that if this were a Democratic (or let's just say 'not a Republican') President there would already have been multiple impeachment proceedings underway. We do live in a country with 2 sets of rules.

EDIT: We live in a country with multiple sets of rules depending on what political party you are attached to as well as the color of your skin.

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum