The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

put up the paper Options
vkhu
Posted: Saturday, June 2, 2018 2:43:04 PM

Neurons: 6,168
Quote:
Later after we’d finished the cake, Evi focused her attention on me. I looked at the starry diamond on her left finger. Eamon put up the paper all right. It was huge. I could almost smell how expensive it was from across the table—a whiff of something clean and clear-blue.

Context: Eamon just proposed to Evi, and she said yes.

I can't find anything for "put up the paper." The closest definition I can find is for "put down the paper," which means "to resign." Since earlier, there was reference to Eamon taking himself "off the market" (getting married), could "put up the paper" be interpreted as "put down the paper"? As in, Eamon had truly "resigned from his bachelor life"?
whatson
Posted: Saturday, June 2, 2018 3:04:30 PM

Neurons: 2,607
https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/put+up

put (something) up - 3.

Altar boy on one occasion. Less thrilling than a sorcerer's apprentice.
NKM
Posted: Saturday, June 2, 2018 6:22:44 PM

Neurons: 236,844
My guess would be that Eamon has taken out a loan to obtain the money for the ring. The "paper" might be a lien against something of value (as security for the loan), or perhaps it's even a mortgage on his house or other property.

alertec
Posted: Saturday, June 2, 2018 10:06:08 PM

Neurons: 896,073
perhaps refers to bank notes ... paper money?
leonAzul
Posted: Sunday, June 3, 2018 4:44:06 AM

Neurons: 26,471
The meaning is to provide funding for a cause.

Quote:
put up

4. Provide funds, especially in advance, as in They put up nearly a million for the new museum.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer. Copyright © 2003, 1997 by The Christine Ammer 1992 Trust. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.

put (something) up

3. To supply or provide some or all of the money necessary to fund something. My work is putting up the cash for me get my MBA. We'll agree to put up half of the down payment, but it's up to you to pay for the rest yourself.

Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.

put up

The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer. Copyright © 2003, 1997 by The Christine Ammer 1992 Trust. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.

put up
v.

6. To provide some amount of money for some purpose: The company put up half of the money for the new park. The agency put $1,000 up toward the scholarship fund.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs. Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.

https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/put+(something)+up

In context, "put up the paper" would mean "pay the cash" instead of "made a promise" or "took out a loan".

This could also involve "putting up a front" of great wealth, or "putting on a show" of great sincerity.

"Make it go away, Mrs Whatsit," he whispered. "Make it go away. It's evil."