The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

of mine, of yours Options
Posted: Friday, June 1, 2018 1:00:20 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/14/2017
Posts: 295
Neurons: 5,219

A. Plastic flowers have always been a particular hate of mine.
Oxford Learner’s Dictionaries.

Is the phrase 'a particular hate of mine' used to mean 'one of my particular hates'?

B. pay child support [v phrase] to pay a regular amount of money to help support children of yours that you no longer live with: He had been paying child support for his two children since 1985.
Longman Language Activator

How will the meaning change if 'your children' is used instead of 'children of yours'?

Thank you
Posted: Friday, June 1, 2018 4:13:49 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 7/27/2014
Posts: 274
Neurons: 213,117
Location: Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai, Thailand
The first sentence is grammatically correct, though of plastic flowers I think I would just say I don't like them or, they are a 'pet hate' (a soft hate) of mine. - I prefer real. natural ones.
The reason I say this is because "a particular hate" is on the edge of extreme or absolute. For example, a particular hate of mine is cruelty to animals that is more appropriate for the extreme end of the spectrum

Second question, "Children of yours" is not a sentence but would most likely be used in a disapproving way when referring to the children of parents. "Those children of yours have been very naughty."

So in context, both ways have the correct grammatical sense.
Posted: Friday, June 1, 2018 2:44:37 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/14/2009
Posts: 15,021
Neurons: 47,066
Location: Brighton, England, United Kingdom

1) Yes - the two ways of phrasing it make no difference to the meaning re "particular hates". However, neither sentences sound particularly natural. The common way to express it is as a "pet hate" as Chris did. And again, it makes no difference whether you say "a pet hate of mine" or "one of my pet hates."

2) the same applies to "your children" or "children of yours". people today often marry more than once the phrase becomes a little more nuanced in respect to the law of child support. When two people who have children from previous relationships get together they'll refer to all of them as "my children" and treat all equally within the relationship. However, if the relationship breaks down, and the parents separate, a person will only be responsible for their own children, or any children born within the union. Thus, you only pay child support for "children of yours" i.e. those of your blood. By law, you won't be responsible for your partner's children who were born before the union, even if you regard them as "your children".

Of course, if you choose to continue to support all of them, that's your choice. But the law can't enforce the support of any but your own flesh and blood.
Users browsing this topic

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.