The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Event Options
teachersalah
Posted: Saturday, May 26, 2018 3:20:13 PM

Neurons: 4,109
I have just read an article in the newspapers, I couldnt find the verb in the sentence.
"I don't personally think anyody should have to disclose private information'. he while awaiting the start of a meet the condidadates event recently in cabin creek,west verginia.
Is the verb here event?Z
thar
Posted: Saturday, May 26, 2018 3:50:46 PM

Neurons: 72,982
The whole thing is terrible (if you have copied it accurately!)

The number of missing words (if they were missing from the original) makes it more than a simp!e typo, though. Something has gone badly wrong!

But if I rewrite the last bit:

' while awaiting the start of a recent "meeting with the candidates" event in Cabin Creek, West Virginia.

is all an adverbial phrase, so the sentence really is

"____" he.

Which makes no sense.
It was intended to be 'he said' or 'he stated', or something like that.

It is a typo, a mistake. But given the words missing from the rest of the sentence, and terrible sentence construction, I think there has been a glitch somewhere in their editing.
Orson Burleigh
Posted: Saturday, May 26, 2018 4:30:28 PM

Neurons: 92,472
teachersalah wrote:
I have just read an article in the newspapers, I couldnt find the verb in the sentence.
"I don't personally think anyody should have to disclose private information'. he while awaiting the start of a meet the condidadates event recently in cabin creek,west verginia.
Is the verb here event?Z

The verb appears to have been omitted. After the perfectly good sentence "I don't personally think [that] anybody should have to disclose private information." was quoted, the verb describing how the quoted sentence was originally conveyed was left out. As a reader you may choose among many possibilities for the missing verb:

"I don't personally think [that] anybody should have to disclose private information." he (_your chosen verb here_) while awaiting the start of a meet-the-candidates event recently in Cabin Creek, West Virginia.

"I don't personally think [that] anybody should have to disclose private information." he said while awaiting the start of a meet-the-candidates event recently in Cabin Creek, West Virginia.

"I don't personally think [that] anybody should have to disclose private information." he whispered while awaiting the start of a meet-the-candidates event recently in Cabin Creek, West Virginia.

"I don't personally think [that] anybody should have to disclose private information." he asserted while awaiting the start of a meet-the-candidates event recently in Cabin Creek, West Virginia.

"I don't personally think [that] anybody should have to disclose private information." he shouted while awaiting the start of a meet-the-candidates event recently in Cabin Creek, West Virginia.

"I don't personally think [that] anybody should have to disclose private information." he vouchsafed while awaiting the start of a meet-the-candidates event recently in Cabin Creek, West Virginia.

"I don't personally think [that] anybody should have to disclose private information." he opined while awaiting the start of a meet-the-candidates event recently in Cabin Creek, West Virginia.

"I don't personally think [that] anybody should have to disclose private information." he noted while awaiting the start of a meet-the-candidates event recently in Cabin Creek, West Virginia.

"I don't personally think [that] anybody should have to disclose private information." he texted while awaiting the start of a meet-the-candidates event recently in Cabin Creek, West Virginia.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Monday, May 28, 2018 2:09:49 AM

Neurons: 179,177
I would prefer the inverted commas. The hyphens which Orson suggests are OK, but do not seem quite enough, for me.
The original, with no hyphens and no inverted commas, is almost unreadable.

As this is a totally invented term (it's not a phrase which I've ever seen used before) it should be marked as "outside the mainstream lexicon".

There is only the one missing word, but there is a lot of missing or incorrect punctuation, plus a couple of spelling mistakes.

Quote:
. . .we can use quotation marks to highlight terminology that is considered novel or outside the mainstream lexicon. For instance:
One of the emerging “neo-Gothic revivalists,” the artist has seen several of his latest pieces fetch extraordinary prices.
The tech company is continuing to develop their line of “office on the move” smart phones.
Farlex Grammar

The verb in the second part (the adverbial phrase) is the participle "awaiting". If I make it into a clause, it may be more obvious.

Recently, while he was waiting for the start of an event in Cabin Creek, West Virginia, at which constituents were invited to meet the candidates, he said "I don't personally think anybody should have to disclose private information."

"I don't personally think anybody should have to disclose private information", he said, while awaiting the start of a "meet the candidadates" event recently in Cabin Creek, West Virginia.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
thar
Posted: Monday, May 28, 2018 2:16:35 AM

Neurons: 72,982
I agree - I just noticed I left my version in mid-edit.

I thought it was a noun

...while awaiting a meeting with the candidates

Before I met the next word 'event' and realised that was the noun and 'meet the candidates' was all adjectival describing the event.

Without punctuation it makes no sense (and it is bad style even then) even without the missing verb.

Null points.