The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

But Tim, did you not understand anything I told you? Options
Nikitus
Posted: Friday, May 18, 2018 12:16:13 AM

Neurons: 1,764
Hello

First of all, thanks for your time to help me.

Are the following sentences grammatically correct?

"But Tim, did you not understand anything I told you? Everything you tell me is suspiciously strange and sincerely makes no sense. I can not rule out that someone from the beyond came to visit you, perhaps a relative of yours, but you must understand that this is a very remote probability. Many times we suggest ourselves with certain things and see what we want to see."

Thanks.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Friday, May 18, 2018 6:14:51 AM

Neurons: 176,780
Hi Nikitus.
Grammatically, it is almost correct (just one point really).

The construction of the first part of the last sentence is wrong. I can't say exactly what each individual error is (it is sequence of phrases, preposition and type of object all together). I guess this form is a translation from your own language - but it doesn't quite fit in English.

Many times, we suggest certain things to ourselves and see what we want to see.
or
Many times we give ourselves suggestions and see what we want to see.

However, there are several 'style' and 'vocabulary' points (not errors, but usages which don't sound really English). It is too formal and 'perfectly spelled out' for two friends talking.

This is someone speaking.
No-one ever says "Did you not understand?" - You may find this is writing occasionally, but not often. The normal phrase would be "Didn't you understand?"

This is how I would say all this (it's not "standard text-book English" maybe - it's just my style).

"But Tim, did you not understand anything I told you? Everything you tell me is suspiciously strange and sincerely makes no sense. I can not rule out that someone from the beyond came to visit you, perhaps a relative of yours, but you must understand that this is a very remote probability. Many times we suggest ourselves with certain things and see what we want to see."

"But didn't you understand what I said? That sounds really strange and doesn't make sense. I can't say you weren't visited by some spirit - maybe a relative - but it's unlikely. Sometimes wishful thinking makes us see what we want to see."

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Romany
Posted: Friday, May 18, 2018 9:47:58 AM

Neurons: 44,818
Well done, Drago! I've noticed very often that Nikitus's paragraphs tend to be rather stilted and unrealistic, but hadn't realised they were translations so said nothing.

As they're translations I would suggest getting rid of all non-contracted forms in future i.e "did not" = "didn't"; "I am" = "I'm" etc. and cutting down on the number of unnecessary or unusual adjectives.

Please understand I'm not being 'picky' here Nikitus, or demeaning your work at all. Just backing up what Drago has said in order to help: no-one converses in English as if they have a text book in front of them.

In fact, very few native English-speakers have EVER read a text-book on the subject!!
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Friday, May 18, 2018 10:47:02 AM

Neurons: 176,780
Hi Romany.
Thank you.
I think Nikitus is writing this story (or series of stories) - but I guess the initial draught (whether written, or just in the mind) is in Spanish (sometimes the word-sequence seems a bit "Iberian").

I did read a grammar book when I was thirteen (only fifty-five years ago!)

I think I was one of the last generation to study grammar, as such, in normal school. What I studied was very basic compared to what our foreign members seem to be expected to know.

Of course, someone studying English would study some grammar, but I don't think English is really taught in normal schools as a subject for everyone. When I was at school, I concentrated on Maths and physics - but English Literature and English Language were mandatory daily lessons.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Parpar1836
Posted: Friday, May 18, 2018 2:15:43 PM

Neurons: 10,034
"But Tim, haven't you understood anything I've been telling you? Everything you tell me sounds suspicious, just weird, and honestly makes no sense. I can't rule out that someone from the beyond came to visit you, perhaps a relative of yours, but you must understand that this is an extremely remote probability. It just doesn't happen to most of us. Many times we give ourselves subconscious suggestions and see what we want to see."