The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Automation, Bane or Boon? (50) Options
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2018 11:26:01 AM

Neurons: 74,351
Automation is the creation of technology and its application in order to control and monitor the production and delivery of various goods and services. It performs tasks that were previously performed by humans. Automation is being used in a number of areas such as manufacturing, transport, utilities, defense, facilities, operations and lately, information technology.

Is it a bane or boon in Developing countries?

Me Gathering Pebbles at The Seashore.-Aj
Islami
Posted: Saturday, May 19, 2018 12:15:22 PM

Neurons: 699
Automation; Boon; anywhere anytime

https://youtu.be/_scelZgVfu8

Automation: bane

Just because the writer of an article is British doesn't mean that they use English correctly-DragOnspeaker.
whatson
Posted: Saturday, May 19, 2018 8:10:59 PM

Neurons: 2,637
Possible solutions: fewer babies per families, adequate contraception.

I am a lay-about.
TMe
Posted: Sunday, May 20, 2018 11:27:37 AM

Neurons: 4,943
Its both ways. In some fields its boon while in some its bane.

I am a layman.
Y111
Posted: Sunday, May 20, 2018 2:38:52 PM

Neurons: 1,266
There is a problem with "the production and delivery of various goods and services". To whom will those robots deliver them? To other robots? Humans, not having jobs, won't have money to pay for goods and services. This looks like the end of the market economy. Because most people won't have anything to sell and therefore won't be able to buy.
leonAzul
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2018 10:27:47 AM

Neurons: 27,478
Ashwin Joshi wrote:
[b]Automation is the creation of technology and its application in order to control and monitor the production and delivery of various goods and services.

Forgive me for being so critical, yet I have a "very serious cavil" with that assertion. [quoted for oxymorony™]

The motive for the creation of technology is to get things done. One of its methods happens to be automation. The good thing about automation is that, within tolerances, it can obviate the need for repetitive trivial decisions. In other words, when an optimal way of doing something has been identified, automation can assure that it is done the same way every time.

The obvious flaw with automation is that conditions vary, and so to achieve the best results, one needs to vary one's methods according to the circumstance, assiduously maintain the circumstances such that the automation is always correct, or imbue the automaton with a heuristic algorithm that facilitates adaptive behavior.

"Make it go away, Mrs Whatsit," he whispered. "Make it go away. It's evil."
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2018 12:04:40 PM

Neurons: 74,351
leonAzul writes;

The motive for the creation of technology is to get things done. One of its methods happens to be automation. The good thing about automation is that, within tolerances, it can obviate the need for repetitive trivial decisions. In other words, when an optimal way of doing something has been identified, automation can assure that it is done the same way every time.

The obvious flaw with automation is that conditions vary, and so to achieve the best results, one needs to vary one's methods according to the circumstance, assiduously maintain the circumstances such that the automation is always correct, or imbue the automaton with a heuristic algorithm that facilitates adaptive behavior

Good observation. Nice points.

But lA what makes you think its a 'very serious cavil'?

Its not a cavil much less a 'very serious'.

Me Gathering Pebbles at The Seashore.-Aj
leonAzul
Posted: Monday, May 28, 2018 2:53:26 AM

Neurons: 27,478
Ashwin Joshi wrote:

But lA what makes you think its a 'very serious cavil'?

Its not a cavil much less a 'very serious'.

Sorry for my twisted sense of humor. I thought the scare quotes and the made-up word "oxymorony™" would suffice, yet I suppose I should add a Whistle for good measure whenever I'm in a playful mood.

Angel

"Make it go away, Mrs Whatsit," he whispered. "Make it go away. It's evil."