The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

sea-god timbres in the blue of Noah’s cry Options
vkhu
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2018 5:21:40 AM

Neurons: 6,343
Quote:
Dalton’s lips. They weren’t Eamon’s. Eamon’s mouth was fuller. He had a bottom lip I could’ve chewed on for a week. I could still feel it between my teeth. Eamon was gone forever, but he was everywhere. How did that happen? I even heard his sea-god timbres in the blue of Noah’s cry.

Some context: Eamon is the late husband of the narrator. Noah is their newborn son.

I have no idea what kind of imagery this metaphor is supposed to evoke. This is just a normal romance novel, no fantasy element of any kind. So what kind of timbres is "sea-god" and why would the cry of a baby described as "blue"?
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2018 8:57:11 AM

Neurons: 176,951
I don't really know - this is probably why you have had no answers. No-one knows why the writer chose those specific metaphors - except the writer.

I can see some connection between 'Noah', 'sea' and 'blue'.

However, Eamonn, Éamon don't really have much connection with the sea or a sea-god, except very remotely.
Eamonn is an Irish name and means 'guardian of the treasure'.
It comes from the same etymological roots as Manannán mac Lir - who was a sea-god and guardian of the 'otherworld' (Tír na nÓg) and 'The Blessed Isles'. I can't find any reference to his voice being anything special.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
AndEng
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2018 11:57:37 AM

Neurons: 27,755
Hello vkhu

I cannot say anything better than what Drag0n has already said.
I only add that blue means sadness in this context, I guess.

Have a look at https://www.freethesaurus.com/blue
I knew it as an adjective but in this case is a noun which means melancholy unhappiness...

Its use with this meaning, as an adjective above all, is not rare at all, although sad is more common of course.

Hope it helps.

"Search as if you are going to find, and find as if you have still to search....." (St. Augustine)
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2018 1:35:54 PM

Neurons: 6,750
vkhu wrote:
Quote:
Dalton’s lips. They weren’t Eamon’s. Eamon’s mouth was fuller. He had a bottom lip I could’ve chewed on for a week. I could still feel it between my teeth. Eamon was gone forever, but he was everywhere. How did that happen? I even heard his sea-god timbres in the blue of Noah’s cry.

Some context: Eamon is the late husband of the narrator. Noah is their newborn son.

I have no idea what kind of imagery this metaphor is supposed to evoke. This is just a normal romance novel, no fantasy element of any kind. So what kind of timbres is "sea-god" and why would the cry of a baby described as "blue"?

Could you tell us the title of the book and the name of the author, knowing that can help try to pick out such meanings.

Sometimes an author is known for writing in the particular style of say Northern England, or Australian English where a word can have meanings that are not commonly used in other parts of the world.

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
thar
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2018 1:51:31 PM

Neurons: 72,475
I put the quote in search and got Leesa Cross-Smith, book called Whiskey and Ribbons. I think it is the right one, although I can't be sure.

If it is, vkhu is certainly branching out!

Author's debut novel (which may explain the over-flowery metaphor) - set in contemporary Louisville.
Author is "resident of Louisville, Kentucky". And from picture, although not in bio, is African-American. Oh, and female, just to clarify.

Not very sea-goddish territory, I would have thought, so unless it is a theme in the story, it seems a personal choice of metaphor.