The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Can a body be found unconscious? Options
Koh Elaine
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2018 2:30:23 AM

Neurons: 14,155
Against their advice, Cpl Kok returned to camp, bearing "a lot of snacks" for everyone as he wanted to "treat his colleagues", said his cousin, Ms Julia Ng, on Tuesday (May 15).

The 22-year-old NSF died on Sunday after his body was found unconscious at the bottom of the 12m-deep pump well at the fire station, which was filled with 11m of water.

Is the bold part OK? Can a body be found unconscious?

Thanks.
Turnpike
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2018 2:57:01 AM

Neurons: 537
Koh Elaine wrote:
Against their advice, Cpl Kok returned to camp, bearing "a lot of snacks" for everyone as he wanted to "treat his colleagues", said his cousin, Ms Julia Ng, on Tuesday (May 15).

The 22-year-old NSF died on Sunday after his body was found unconscious at the bottom of the 12m-deep pump well at the fire station, which was filled with 11m of water.

Is the bold part OK? Can a body be found unconscious?

Thanks.

It does not sound correct. The thing that was found was not a body (because he was living at the moment) it was a human being who is alive -only unconscious. When he died, the thing that was found became a body.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2018 3:09:40 AM

Neurons: 164,316
It is a way of thinking or speaking.
I don't like it very much (as Turnpike says, it 'sounds wrong' to me).

However, many people believe they are a body, and nothing more. They consider the 'being' or 'awareness' to be part of the brain.

Not many people speak in this manner, but some do.

"Body" is normally (traditionally) used only for a 'dead body'/corpse or when differentiating spirit/mind/body.

Like the well-known phrase Mens sana in corpore sano - a Latin phrase, usually translated as "a healthy mind in a healthy body".

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
ChrisKC
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2018 4:00:32 AM

Neurons: 62,378
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
It is a way of thinking or speaking.
I don't like it very much (as Turnpike says, it 'sounds wrong' to me).

However, many people believe they are a body, and nothing more. They consider the 'being' or 'awareness' to be part of the brain.

Not many people speak in this manner, but some do.

"Body" is normally (traditionally) used only for a 'dead body'/corpse or when differentiating spirit/mind/body.

Like the well-known phrase Mens sana in corpore sano - a Latin phrase, usually translated as "a healthy mind in a healthy body".

Maybe we have to infer that what was at first thought to be a body(dead) was later spoken of as alive but "unconscious".
mactoria
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2018 4:29:00 AM

Neurons: 1,187,261
I see that this person did die, it's not clear if he was actually dead when they found him or if he died later. I think most US media would write this report as "he was found unconscious" if he was still alive when found but died later, with the important part being that he (being Col. Kok) was the person involved, dead or alive.
TMe
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2018 4:33:27 AM

Neurons: 4,215
The 22-year-old NSF died on Sunday after he was found unconscious at the bottom of the 12m-deep pump well at the fire station, which was almost filled with water. IMO

I am a layman.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2018 5:46:33 AM

Neurons: 373,121
My body is my temple ;-)

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
TMe
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2018 10:55:08 AM

Neurons: 4,215
You are right.

I am a layman.