The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

three of it Options
Koh Elaine
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2018 1:33:54 PM

Neurons: 14,219
"Anwar is suffering in prison right now, why must the Election Commission shame them by doing this?" he asked.

He said this is the 14th general election, out of which he was involved in three of it.

"This election is the only one with all sorts of outrageous crazy rules," he said.

He said even Parti Pribumi Bersatu Malaysia's operations centre in Bayan Baru was told to remove Dr Mahathir's photos from their billboard.
"
Is the bold part OK? Shouldn't it be "three of them" instead?

Thanks.
FounDit
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2018 4:00:38 PM

Neurons: 47,789
Koh Elaine wrote:
"Anwar is suffering in prison right now, why must the Election Commission shame them by doing this?" he asked.

He said this is the 14th general election, out of which he was involved in three of it.

"This election is the only one with all sorts of outrageous crazy rules," he said.

He said even Parti Pribumi Bersatu Malaysia's operations centre in Bayan Baru was told to remove Dr Mahathir's photos from their billboard.
"
Is the bold part OK? Shouldn't it be "three of them" instead?

Thanks.

Yes, three of them would be correct. You could even say, "...out of which, he was involved in three".

A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2018 4:10:12 PM

Neurons: 164,503
Yes - I don't know why (I don't think it is a 'grammatical reason'), I would say either:

He said this is the 14th general election, out of which he was involved in three.
or
He said this is the 14th general election, and he was involved in three of them.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
NKM
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2018 7:37:50 PM

Neurons: 227,828
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
Yes - I don't know why (I don't think it is a 'grammatical reason'), I would say either:

He said this is the 14th general election, out of which he was involved in three.
or
He said this is the 14th general election, and he was involved in three of them.

══════════════════════════════════════════════

I agree, except that I'd change "out of which" to just "of which".