The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

to pay and see Options
azz
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2018 1:24:30 PM

Neurons: 2,415
Can one say

a. These are some of our favorite stand-ups to watch. And now we are meeting them in person.
b. These are some of our favorite stand-ups to pay and watch. And now we are meeting them in person.

?

(b) is a bit jocular. We normally love to pay and watch these people, but now we are meeting them and talking to them for free!

Many thanks.

FounDit
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2018 4:12:22 PM

Neurons: 47,890
azz wrote:
Can one say

a. These are some of our favorite stand-ups to watch. And now we are meeting them in person.
b. These are some of our favorite stand-ups to pay and watch. And now we are meeting them in person.

?
You could say these, but b) might sound a bit strange unless you were emphasizing the fact you had to pay to see them. If that is your goal, then it would be okay, but I would probably say, "pay to watch" rather than "pay and watch", because I'm paying "to do" something — have access.

(b) is a bit jocular. We normally love to pay and watch these people, but now we are meeting them and talking to them for free!

Many thanks.

A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2018 8:01:34 PM

Neurons: 164,822
In my opinion, "pay and watch" is a common colloquial phrasing.

It is "more correct" (or more exact) to say "pay to watch".

It is very common.
In situations where a person is described as doing two unrelated things, "and" is normal and correct.
I want you to play with Johnny and be good.

In situations where the second action is the reason for the first, the infinitive is really more exact.
I want you to play with Johnny to keep him amused.

However, it is not incorrect to use the 'and form.
I want you to play with Johnny and keep him amused.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Audiendus
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2018 8:33:31 PM

Neurons: 855,484
Yes, this use of "and" (when it doesn't really mean "and") is technically called a 'hendiadys', and can also be seen in the following examples:

I will try and fix the machine. [= I will try to fix the machine]
I will do it when I am good and ready. [= when I am fully ready]
It is nice and warm here. [= It is nicely warm here]
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2018 8:43:55 PM

Neurons: 164,822
Audiendus wrote:
Yes, this use of "and" (when it doesn't really mean "and") is technically called a 'hendiadys'.

That's a new word to me.
I'll try and remember it . . .

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Romany
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2018 5:49:23 AM

Neurons: 43,013
I still don't see how either "pay and/to watch" fit into the sentence, actually.

You don't, ever, pay a comedian directly to see their show. So "pay and watch" isn't valid. .. And in any case you don't "have to" either pay or watch.

"Pay to watch" implies that not only did you meet them, you got to watch the show for free as well.

The problem, if that isn't what happened, (watching the show for free too) is in the difference between the verbs "watch" and " see".

Using "see" obviates these little niggles. One usually sees a performer only when one has paid for a ticket or online...But you got to see them in real life without paying for the privilege.