The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Please check grammar of my another CPD entry Options
Jigneshbharati
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2018 9:33:41 AM

Neurons: 8,414
What are you planning to learn?

I am planning to learn about the different types of inhalers commonly used or prescribed in the UK, the correct technique to use them in order to maximise the benefits of these medications and improve outcomes for the patient.

This learning is relevant to me because it will help me:

To demonstrate or counsel patients on the correct inhaler technique

with taking a complete and an accurate drug history for patients who use them for their respiratory conditions

To answer any questions from the patient regarding their prescribed inhaler(s)

To avoid or minimise any errors or mistakes when I carry out the final check on the dispensed items including the inhalers.
How are you planning to learn it?

I am planning to attend the Inhaler technique workshop conducted by our expert Respiratory pharmacist.
Use the Internet to read and learn about different types of inhalers and their correct technique
Observe and learn from the colleagues who are well trained in this area.
Read the patient information leaflets.

Give an example of how this learning has benefited the people using your services

Now I know that the following main types of inhaler devices are used for delivering asthma and COPD medicines:
'Press and breathe' metered dose inhalers (MDIs)
'Breathe in normally' breath actuated MDIs
'Breathe in hard' dry powder inhalers (DPIs), that the most common mistakes associated with poor inhaler technique are:
Lacking coordination( for MDIs), breathing in too early, too fast or too slow, not breathing out first and not holding your breathe after taking your inhaler.
While working on the respiratory ward, the pharmacist asked me to counsel the patient who was prescribed a new inhaler device- Spiriva. I explain to the patient about main parts of the device, how to set it up once you get it out of the packaging, demonstrate the correct technique using a dummy device, how to store and look after the device to get the maximum benefit from the medication. The pharmacist verified the patient's understanding later on and was really pleased with the information given and technique shown to the patient.
FounDit
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2018 10:57:31 AM

Neurons: 47,890
Excellent.
I noticed only one area I would change — make the verbs past tense in the last section since it is something you have already done, and add the words, "the" and "and".

Jigneshbharati wrote:

While working on the respiratory ward, the pharmacist asked me to counsel the patient who was prescribed a new inhaler device- Spiriva. I explained to the patient about the main parts of the device, how to set it up once you get it out of the packaging, demonstrated the correct technique using a dummy device, and how to store and look after the device to get the maximum benefit from the medication. The pharmacist verified the patient's understanding later on and was really pleased with the information given and technique shown to the patient.

A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~
Jigneshbharati
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2018 11:37:56 AM

Thanks a lot!
Now I know that the following main types of inhaler devices are used for delivering asthma and COPD medicines:
'Breathe in hard' dry powder inhalers (DPIs), that the most common mistakes associated with poor inhaler technique are:
Lacking coordination( for MDIs), breathing in too early, too fast or too slow, not breathing out first and not holding your breathe after taking your inhaler.
While working on the respiratory ward, the pharmacist asked me to counsel the patient who was prescribed a new inhaler device- Spiriva. I explain to the patient about main parts of the device, how to set it up once you get it out of the packaging, demonstrate the correct technique using a dummy device, how to store and look after the device to get the maximum benefit from the medication. The pharmacist verified the patient's understanding later on and was really pleased with the information given and technique shown to the patient.
Have I used "that" correctly in ",that the most common mistakes... "?
FounDit
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2018 3:35:52 PM

Neurons: 47,890
Jigneshbharati wrote:
Thanks a lot!
Have I used "that" correctly in ",that the most common mistakes... "?

Hmm, now that you point it out, I think the word "and" should be inserted before "that". The reason being that you are listing things you now know.

The basic idea is, "I now know (list of types of inhalers), AND that the most common mistakes are: (list of common mistakes). So you are saying you now know this (list) and that (list).

A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~
Jigneshbharati
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2018 4:08:54 PM

Thanks