The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Only ignorance! Only ignorance! How can you talk about only ignorance? Don't you know that it is the worst thing in the... Options
Daemon
Posted: Sunday, April 29, 2018 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 73,683
Only ignorance! Only ignorance! How can you talk about only ignorance? Don't you know that it is the worst thing in the world, next to wickedness?

Anna Sewell (1820-1878)
KSPavan
Posted: Sunday, April 29, 2018 1:41:22 AM

Neurons: 2,546,654
Quotation of the Day

Only ignorance! Only ignorance! How can you talk about only ignorance? Don't you know that it is the worst thing in the world, next to wickedness?

Anna Sewell (1820-1878)
Bully_rus
Posted: Sunday, April 29, 2018 7:40:51 AM

Neurons: 179,157
Daemon wrote:

Anna Sewell (1820-1878)

Yeah. I only know that I know nothing. Is it ignorance or what?
monamagda
Posted: Sunday, April 29, 2018 1:20:19 PM

Neurons: 4,396,980

Context from: Black Beauty

Chapter 19.
Only Ignorance

For awhile both men sat silent, and then Tom Green said in a low voice:

"I wish, John, you'd say a bit of a kind word to Joe. The boy is quite broken-hearted; he can't eat his meals, and he can't smile. He says he knows it was all his fault, though he is sure he did the best he knew, and he says if Beauty dies no one will ever speak to him again. It goes to my heart to hear him. I think you might give him just a word; he is not a bad boy."

After a short pause John said slowly, "You must not be too hard upon me, Tom. I know he meant no harm, I never said he did; I know he is not a bad boy. But you see, I am sore myself; that horse is the pride of my heart, to say nothing of his being such a favorite with the master and mistress; and to think that his life may be flung away in this manner is more than I can bear. But if you think I am hard on the boy I will try to give him a good word to-morrow -- that is, I mean if Beauty is better."

"Well, John, thank you. I knew you did not wish to be too hard, and I am glad you see it was only ignorance."

John's voice almost startled me as he answered:

"Only ignorance! only ignorance! how can you talk about only ignorance? Don't you know that it is the worst thing in the world, next to wickedness? -- and which does the most mischief heaven only knows. If people can say, `Oh! I did not know, I did not mean any harm,' they think it is all right. I suppose Martha Mulwash did not mean to kill that baby when she dosed it with Dalby and soothing syrups; but she did kill it, and was tried for manslaughter."

"And serve her right, too," said Tom. "A woman should not undertake to nurse a tender little child without knowing what is good and what is bad for it."

http://www.online-literature.com/anna-sewell/black-beauty/19/