The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Wow! William Berry Options
Epiphileon
Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2018 4:49:01 AM

Neurons: 63,299
I am amazed, by no means merely surprised, but right through my mind I am brought up short in awe. At first I thought how could it be that I have never before known of such a purely human spirit, but am wholly satisfied that I have only come to know of him this far into my journey. For all the world, and my being, still has much of wonder, but seldom it is that I am stopped dead in my tracks, and with tears in my eyes immersed in such beauty. This morning I discovered William Berry through his poem

"The Peace of Wild Things"
When despair grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting for their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

This poem I found beautiful and a testament to a zen like being that I aspire to, but in the back of my mind there was the chance that it may have been a one time thing; however, then my interested strongly piqued, I looked for more. I clicked on the "previous poem" link at the bottom of the page and came to, "The Mad Farmer Revolution", and was stunned, I again clicked on "previous poem" and came to, "The Hidden Singer", and I found a spirituality that is fully compatible with my monism, but then I did it again, the "previous poem" thing, and then I had to be done, I had to come here and exclaim my good fortune. I could read no more, my mind has not been this overwhelmed in I don't know how long, for then I came upon this,
"The Country Of Marriage" and it was then I was brought up short in awe.

It seems there are 19 of his poems at that site, starting tomorrow, I will read one a day, and will grow richer everyday I am sure.

OH whatever you do, do not play the audio clips of the poems, I only tried it once and it was a heretical travesty, it was recited by a voice synthesizer.

Question authority. How do you know, that you know, what you know?
FounDit
Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2018 11:36:07 AM

Neurons: 48,403
Congratulations! Kudos on finding the next step in your goal to becoming the zen-like being you desire to be.

It is a very peaceful place to live. As stated before, I found it in the Manichean outlook of basic Taoism and Tai Chi. Here's hoping you find your place ASAP, so you may begin enjoying the experience for many years to come...Applause Applause Applause

A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~
thar
Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2018 4:40:38 PM

Neurons: 69,283
I will look at the poem when I have the time and right mindset. I am just struck by how any parent could name their child bilberry!

Is that very unZen of me? Whistle
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Sunday, April 29, 2018 4:13:00 AM

Neurons: 167,301
There appear to be four people on Facebook with the name (not nickname or username) "Cookies Andcream".

I used to know a girl called "Peaches Andcream" - her parents were zoned-out hippies back in the seventies.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
FounDit
Posted: Sunday, April 29, 2018 12:22:23 PM

Neurons: 48,403
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
There appear to be four people on Facebook with the name (not nickname or username) "Cookies Andcream".

I used to know a girl called "Peaches Andcream" - her parents were zoned-out hippies back in the seventies.

I once worked with a man with the last name of "Whynot". He insisted he named his two daughters "Ifnot" and "Howcome". I could never get him to tell me different.

A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~
Epiphileon
Posted: Friday, May 4, 2018 9:35:29 AM

Neurons: 63,299
thar wrote:
I will look at the poem when I have the time and right mindset. I am just struck by how any parent could name their child bilberry!

Is that very unZen of me? Whistle

Well I don't know that anyone actually did, as the poet's name is actually Wendall, oopsd'oh!

Question authority. How do you know, that you know, what you know?