The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Womens' Plight Options
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2018 10:22:19 AM

Neurons: 74,278

Women around the globe should be celebrated for their extraordinary contributions in all areas of society – as professionals, as bread-winners, as caregivers and caretakers.

But we must also focus on the stark reality that women suffer disproportionately from poor access to health services, discrimination, the effects of war, and, at times, victimization by harmful traditions. It is important to keep in mind that behind every statistic listed below, there is a heartbreaking story to be told.

More than 530,000 women die in childbirth every year – tragically, the vast majority of these deaths are avoidable with simple and cost-effective health interventions.
More than 100 million women in the developing world, about 17 percent of all married women would prefer to postpone their next pregnancy or not have any more children but are not using a modern method of contraception.
It is estimated that up to 100,000 maternal deaths could be avoided each year if women who did not want children used effective contraception.
One harmful outcome of unintended pregnancy is abortion – an estimated 18 million abortions take place each year in the developing world, contributing to high rates of death and injury.
In sub-Saharan Africa, approximately 58 percent of all people living with HIV are female. In some countries, girls between the ages of 15 and 19 have three to six times higher HIV prevalence than boys their age.
More than 80,000 women suffer complications during pregnancy including obstetric fistula. The consequences of this condition, when untreated, are life shattering. Many times the child dies, and the mother has lifelong reproductive and urinary complications. But it can be prevented through expanded access to modern methods of family planning, raising the age of marriage and can be treated with proper medical attention.
An estimated 52 million girls under the age of 18 years of age are married off by their families each year. Likewise, several hundreds of thousands of girls and women are trafficked every year as illegal workers and/or forced into prostitution.
An estimated 100 million to 140 million women and girls undergo female genital mutilation/cutting each year and thousands more are at risk.
Despite these startling statistics we know that women around the world have an undying spirit, are surmounting obstacles, and are committed to making their lives, their families, and their communities better. President Obama stated, “…we must also recommit ourselves more broadly to ensuring that our daughters have the same rights and opportunities as our sons: the chance to attain a world-class education; to have fulfilling careers in any industry; to be treated fairly and paid equally for their work; and to have no limits on their dreams. That is what I want for women everywhere.”

The human race cannot progress when half of the world population lives without the same rights and respect afforded to its male counterpart. If you are moved by what you read and want to share, we’ve made it easy for you.

-------- Sandra Jordan

P.S.The 16 Days Campaign to End Violence Against Women: From 25 November to 10 December, USAID posted a blog each day that aims to prove a single point:

Source: Internet

Me Gathering Pebbles at The Seashore.-Aj
TMe
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2018 12:39:53 PM

Neurons: 4,943

Ah! Nobody is interested in my plight.

I am a layman.
FounDit
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2018 4:10:28 PM

Neurons: 50,744
Ashwin Joshi

It is true that women all around the world suffer under the conditions you mention( poor access to health services, discrimination, the effects of war, and, at times, victimization by harmful traditions), and I can sympathize, but it must also be pointed out that everyone else also shares in that suffering, from old men, to babies and children, not to mention young males, too.

And I'm not sure what 16 days of activism is going to do to ameliorate that. I know the whole idea of to focus on women, but unless the whole society changes, women aren't going to reap any benefit from simply talking about what needs to be done.

And what is it that really needs to be done? The list of things you mentioned are not going to go away by themselves. But part of the problem with living under such conditions is that the people tolerate it. They make no effort to change it. There are many reasons why this is so, and a few of them are religious culture, traditional culture, superstitions, and some things, such as war, that may or may not be under their control.

But if a society wants the conditions for its citizens to improve, then the citizens themselves have to demand it. They have to work for it. Marching in the streets and carrying signs won't get that done. Talk is cheap. It is action that is required, but as long as people let inertia paralyze them, or tradition stymie them, change won't happen.

If they can see a better way to live, a better system, and don't strive to achieve that system, they will continue to dwell in their current state. Carrying placards won't get that done, and they shouldn't wait for someone else to do it for them. They should do it themselves, or it won't happen.

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
TMe
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2018 11:35:44 AM

Neurons: 4,943
Thank you FounDit for sympathesizing and be concerned.

Of course 16 days of activism is not going to revolutionize the way we think of , but such periodical initiatives will definitely move the philanthropists and world famous NGOs like Red-Cross to take positive steps for betterment and amelioration of physical and mental pain.

It’s perfectly true that the sufferers are tolerating it. But then the big question is, Why? Is it because they are helpless and handicapped or it is because we, the haves, are indifferent towards their sufferings?

A society that does not raise voice for the improvement of the down-trodden and the poor is as much to blame as the silent suffering victims.
Victims tolerate for many reasons. They have multitude of other problems as such hunger, shelter, safety against animals and pouncing men, poverty, no protection from disease, inhuman and despicable living conditions, pitiable health of schools, inhuman police and on top of it the money hungry and liar politicians.

And you can feel I started this thread on April 16, 2018 no woman responded till I posted again and the idea stirred your mind.

God bless.

I am open to correction.

I am a layman.
FounDit
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2018 11:54:17 AM

TMe wrote:
Thank you FounDit for sympathesizing and be concerned.

Of course 16 days of activism is not going to revolutionize the way we think of , but such periodical initiatives will definitely move the philanthropists and world famous NGOs like Red-Cross to take positive steps for betterment and amelioration of physical and mental pain.
It may move the philanthropists, but any action taken will only be short-term, and when what is needed is a long-term solution.

It’s perfectly true that the sufferers are tolerating it. But then the big question is, Why? Is it because they are helpless and handicapped or it is because we, the haves, are indifferent towards their sufferings?
I don't think it is because the "haves" are indifferent. If that were true, none of the philanthropists or organizations you mention would be there to help, even temporarily. But they can only do so much, and it will never be enough if the people who are suffering don't work to improve their own conditions.

A society that does not raise voice for the improvement of the down-trodden and the poor is as much to blame as the silent suffering victims.
People raise their voices every day for one group or another, but the conditions remain. The reason is because no one, and no one country, has the resources to cure the ailments of every person on the planet.

Victims tolerate for many reasons. They have multitude of other problems as such hunger, shelter, safety against animals and pouncing men, poverty, no protection from disease, inhuman and despicable living conditions, pitiable health of schools, inhuman police and on top of it the money hungry and liar politicians.
All of this is true, unfortunately, but all of it will continue until people living in these conditions are willing to stand and fight for better government, better laws, customs that help rather than hurt. It is a shame it has to be that way, but there really is no other way. Having sympathy is good, and it certainly makes us feel better, but it really doesn't help in the long run, if the people themselves don't do something to change their conditions.

And it must include ALL people, not just one group. We tend to think that if we focus on one group, such as women or children, that this will somehow motivate others to help and that this will change things, but it doesn't. By focusing on groups, it becomes overwhelming — there are too many groups when people are divided up. The focus needs to be on the society as a whole. Everyone must benefit, and that should be the focus, and the end result of change.

And you can feel I started this thread on April 16, 2018 no woman responded till I posted again and the idea stirred your mind.

God bless.

I am open to correction.

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
Lotje1000
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2018 2:39:27 AM

Neurons: 478,922
FounDit wrote:
TMe wrote:

All of this is true, unfortunately, but all of it will continue until people living in these conditions are willing to stand and fight for better government, better laws, customs that help rather than hurt. It is a shame it has to be that way, but there really is no other way. Having sympathy is good, and it certainly makes us feel better, but it really doesn't help in the long run, if the people themselves don't do something to change their conditions.

It's unfortunate that when forum members try to create awareness by pointing out some issues in society, they get so quickly pushed into boxes and dismissed. Even starting small, pointing out how gendered language can affect people, gets swept under the rug as too "politically correct" and left-wing. Pointing out how a misogynist is elected president gets pushed aside as "boys will be boys" or "locker room talk". Pointing out discrimination on the forum gets dismissed as "impolite" ravings from women who should "learn their place".

On a forum, we're never going to be able to change legislation, but we are able to create more awareness. A pity that when we try, we get dismissed so quickly.
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2018 12:59:06 PM

Lotze1000 writes;

FounDit wrote:
TMe wrote:

It's unfortunate that when forum members try to create awareness by pointing out some issues in society, they get so quickly pushed into boxes and dismissed. Even starting small, pointing out how gendered language can affect people, gets swept under the rug as too "politically correct" and left-wing. Pointing out how a misogynist is elected president gets pushed aside as "boys will be boys" or "locker room talk". Pointing out discrimination on the forum gets dismissed as "impolite" ravings from women who should "learn their place".

On a forum, we're never going to be able to change legislation, but we are able to create more awareness. A pity that when we try, we get dismissed so quickly.

Thanks Lotze1000.

Romany
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2018 2:06:20 PM

Neurons: 44,818
The discussion is about women's issue: and its not political but in General Knowledge.The perfect place to discuss what those issues are.The fact that there are other issues - animal cruelty, starvation & famine, wars, genocide, and so on - doesn't nullify women's issues and there are organisations, government policies, fund-raising and publicity given to all of these issues as well. But in a discussion specifically on one particular issue those other subjects don't have any place.

If one tries to sweep away talk or exposition of women's plight simply because there are other plights around is a basis for inaction of any kind: why even talk about women when there are other groups who need help, says Foundit. Then why talk about/help war victims...because there are starving children who need help more. But why help starving children when there are elderly people who need help...and so ad infinitum until one sits on one's hands and does nothing for anybody or any cause.

And, as this is a General Knowledge forum, it would help if we could discuss all the wonderful, brave women everywhere who ARE standing up, and getting thrown in prison, or standing up and drawing others to their cause, or fighting to change laws etc.

The women of India are making history by getting together and changing minds,laws and societies. The women in Iran are throwing their head-coverings into rubbish bins in an attempt to make the use of them a woman's choice - not a man's edict. Women in Africa are taking strength from each other and raising themselves from a status lower than cattle, to taking their rightful place in society. And women in every country are forcing police, politicians, media to help them stop FGM - the most barbaric of all practices and one which has them dying in droves during child-birth, or condemned to life-time of stench as their ruptured bladders from the procedure (with no anaesthetic!) leak into all corners of their bodies and they are shunned and sometimes driven from their villages.

And they/we have wrought unbelievable change, everywhere, during my lifetime while an American political party takes away more and more rights from women and still makes a storm in a teacup about the "gendered language" thing. Which has been quietly adopted for at least the past 30 years in other English-speaking countries without the sky falling on anyone's head. In fact, schoolkids to-day will never have even come across the "mankind" debate as the word no longer appears in their texts books - nor in some cases, did it do so in their parents books.

Indeed women's plight still has a way to go, even though we have made giant strides our mothers wouldn't have dreamed of. Until women have equal pay; no longer have their genitalia hacked off with rusty knives; can represent themselves in Courts across the world; are able to have sanitary protection so they can attend school; all have access to education; are all allowed to drive; have rights over their own bodies - and wife-beaters are no longer protected by Presidents and/or governing bodies; until then dismissing all their concerns because there are boys and men who also need help, is simply a way of perpetuating women as second-class citizens.

So yes, great idea Joshwin - lets use this particular thread to talk about women - and to spread some knowledge of all that is being accomplished, all that has changed, all the heroines around the world who are facing death, torture and mutilation for refusing to stay silent on behalf of their sisters across the world.

And then, in another thread we can talk about old people, or little boys, or starving children, or skinning dogs alive.
FounDit
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2018 4:47:59 PM

So tell me, these 16 days of activism against gender violence, did they prevent any female genital mutilation (FGM)? Were fewer female babies drowned? Were fewer female children sent into sexual exploitation? Were there fewer cases of HIV? What, exactly, did the 16 days of acitivism accomplish?

My position was that there was an even greater need: the elevation of everyone in the society out of poverty, out of poor healthcare, out of the violence of rape and FGM, out of exposure to HIV; that mobilizing the whole of society creates a greater impetus, a greater momentum for change.

In the same vein as the axiomatic, “Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day, but teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime”, I was suggesting that all the members of a society suffering under the listed conditions, fight for better living conditions in their country, rather than one single group.

Or, do you (anyone) oppose such a betterment for all? Do you really do anyone a favor by making people comfortable in their poverty through aid, in their mutilating traditions by just just talk, in their often-fatal exposure to diseases by placards? Why would anyone want to keep a population in such circumstances? Is there some benefit to doing so? Well, it occurs to me as I write that, that it does create a never-ending stream of problems that can be used for various purposes. And since there will always be people who are poor and needy, in one form or another, the answer is obvious.

But it takes an amazing feat of mental contortionism to suggest that my desire to elevate everyone is “dismissing” the idea of “awareness”, as Lotje suggests, or “sweeping it away”, as Romany suggests. I suppose that, by now, I should be used to having my words twisted to mean what I didn’t say, but I admit it still surprises me. I thought that mobilizing the whole of society would be helpful, but, by all means, keep your thinking provincial if you like.

Lotje1000
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2018 3:15:12 AM

Neurons: 478,922
As you can see at the bottom of the original post, FounDit, the 16 days of activism are started by USAID. If you go to their webpage, it says the following:

Quote:
The 16 Days Campaign to End Violence Against Women: From 25 November to 10 December, USAID will post a blog each day that aims to prove a single point: The human race cannot progress when half of the world population lives without the same rights and respect afforded to its male counterpart. If you are moved by what you read and want to share, we’ve made it easy for you. Click here to find out how.

Clicking there, reveals the following.

Quote:
5 Ways USAID Is Working to Prevent and Respond to Gender-Based Violence
USAID has provided critical services to over 4 million survivors and persons at risk of gender-based violence

During conflict and crisis, we often see atrocious acts of gender-based violence, such as the selling of women and girls to generate income; demanding sex in exchange for food, water or safe passage; or forcing girls into marriage to meet basic needs or secure a child's future. Between 2014 and 2016, USAID provided nearly $87 million to support gender-based violence response and prvention efforts as part of our humanitarian assistance efforts in countries such as Iraq, Syria, Nigeria, Haiti, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Burma, South Sudan, Mali, Somalia, the Central African Republic, Pakistan, the Phillippines and Yemen.

Through our DREAMS ( (Determined, Resilient, Empowered, AIDS-free, Mentored and Safe) partnership, USAID works to eliminate harmful gender norms that contribute to gender-based violence, and provide vital care to GBV survivors.

Millions of women around the world who have a disability face increased risks of physical and sexual violence. USAID is partnerhing with projects such as Shanta Memorial Rehabilitation Center, which works to promote disability rights, disability inclusive development, civil society strengthening and community-based rehabilitation programs in India. We’ve helped train service providers, security personnel and counselors to respond to the needs of women with disabilities who experience gender-based violence. Through this partnership, USAID provides rights and advocacy training, income generation support and resources for over 1,000 Indian women with disabilities to ensure they can fully live out their dreams.

Child, early and forced marriage (CEFM), like other forms of gender-based violence, is rooted in gender inequality. Child marriage is a human-rights violattion and an impediment to sustainable global development. USAID is working around the world to prevent and respond to CEFM; for example, last year we worked with community leaders to prevent 748 cases of child marraige in Ethiopia. Our work in this area is rooted in USAID's Strategic Vision for Action to End Child Marriage and Meet the Needs of Married Children [PDF, 464K].

(Emphasis mine)

In short, the 16 days create awareness of the issue so people will support USAID's efforts. The results of which I just listed.
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2018 11:47:35 AM

Your kind attention please;

Back in 1993, following the fall of communism, I was sent twice by the U.S. Information Agency to Russia to teach business skills to women bewildered by the new market economy. Through my volunteer work for the American Woman's Economic Development Corporation, I had previously witnessed the uplifting effect of microlending on African women's lives when given the chance to borrow as little as $5 from Credit Union programs and buy chair-caning tools, seeds or a used sewing machine. With the newly found self-worth, the status of these female entrepreneurs rose drastically within their families and villages: Their husbands stopped beating them, their enslaving mothers-in-law relaxed, their sons grew to respect women, and their daughters replaced their vision of life of despair with hope.
The same bloodthirsty societies, such as Afghanistan, Iran and Saudi-Arabia, that are obsessed with women's bodies' "purity"—and where women are considered property no different than goats—are also the countries that produced the most terrorists and terrorist acts of the 20th and 21st centuries.

Why today, when famine in China is a thing of the past, do mothers abandon or kill their daughters? Beyond the long-seated tradition of preference for boys (women are still referred to as "the maggots in the rice"), many Chinese women's lives are utterly miserable. Poorly educated and often medically neglected since birth, forever cut off from their birth families since their teenage years when given away in marriage, sexually enslaved to their husbands, often ridiculed, beaten, starved and made to serve their in-laws, Chinese women demonstrate the highest rate of suicide in the world. More than half of the world's female suicides occur in China, five times higher than other countries according to a study by the World Bank, Harvard University and the World Health Organization. No wonder that Chinese women do not want this life for their daughters.
What is the answer for this bleak state of global gender discrimination that results in female misery and death?
Women are not the problem, but rather the solution. Had society heeded the now-40-years-old Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women, women—one-half the world's population—would have helped society double its forward move toward development and prosperity.
Source; Internet

And thanks Romany for giving me a distinct identity; Joshwin, I like it .

philips daughter
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2018 12:06:37 PM

Neurons: 43,583
Ashwin thank you for such meaningful testimony. Bless you for your work and for telling us.
Hope123
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2018 6:04:39 PM

Neurons: 47,633
Hey Joshwin, I like that name too.

Thank you so much for your work plus explaining how women can pull themselves up by their bootstraps with as little as $5 help.

It is not only the women but concerned men such as you who can help and who do make such a difference.

I just read an article about the millions of young Chinese men who are now lonely and cannot find love and wives because of the one child and it-should-be-a-son policy. This is one case where the reason for abortion is not a good one, but with the one child policy and cultural influences that is what they did.

"Thirty years of China's one-child policy, coupled with a cultural preference for male children, led to mass abortions of girls. As a result, by the year 2020 it's predicted there will be 24 million men with no partner." So fewer children.

Read More

The past is to be respected/acknowledged, not worshipped. It is in our future we will find our greatness. Pierre Trudeau
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Wednesday, May 16, 2018 2:15:10 AM

Thanks Hope123. I will relish Joshwin for the rest of my life.

You are not here merely to make a living.
You are here in order to enable the world to live more
amply, with greater vision, with a finer spirit of hope and achievement.
You are here to enrich the world and you impoverish yourself if you forget the errand.

-Woodrow Wilson

('hope'(Hope123?) colored by me)

Hope123
Posted: Wednesday, May 16, 2018 5:52:31 AM

Joshwin, this is a link to a group in the US that helps victims of all crimes no matter their gender. It has been in operation for 40 years. I heard about it from Sunny Hostin, a lawyer/ex prosecutor, TV host, journalist, and a very talented lady who raises 4 chickens in the backyard of her posh home in NY.

https://www.safehorizon.org

The past is to be respected/acknowledged, not worshipped. It is in our future we will find our greatness. Pierre Trudeau
Romany
Posted: Wednesday, May 16, 2018 12:04:20 PM

Joshwin - I too was appalled at the treatment of women and girls in China. As you might know, I lived there for 7 years and taught at a University in Zhejiang province - the majority of the students came from rural villages. I cried so much in that first semester because so many of the girls showed me their crookedly set bones, horrific scars and twisted, burned skins. And told me their stories. So I started to teach all my students about equal rights and raised awareness.Soon non-students from the city started coming to my lectures and the students persuaded the University to make my lectures and tutorials open classes.

Mainly, the problem had been that no-one had ever thought about equality for women - it was just "traditional" that they were inferior. So I also taught them debating skills and wow! did we have some great ones. I was also the first adult with whom any of them had ever discussed sex - and the idea that women should enjoy it too. And the rate of abortions in the student body began to plummet.

After discussing it with them I made doing volunteer work (a thing most of them had never even considered) represent 10% of their semester marks.

By the time I left there were organisations in the city, as well as on campus, set up to help old people; girls and women were going into business on their own; the boys started to look at women differently and were part of this "revolution"; and eventually I was presented with an award from the Chinese Gov. for my "work for the Upliftment of the Chinese Youth"...after which all of these things we'd put in place took on a life of their own: - so the students themselves built on those original days and spread more without even needing me at all!

I'm so damn proud of those young people and the way they changed a whole way of thinking. And, as I said, it was only because none of them had ever heard or thought about gender equality. So too I introduced them to the history of Chinese women and the role models which none of them had ever been taught about. I still hear from many of them and they have all done both me, and their University, proud!

That's why I value discussion, and raising awareness, and finding the truth - something it appears you also value. I also know, from experiences all round the world, that one person CAN make a difference. YOU are one of those people.

I've met hundreds of these kinds of wonderful people all over the world - which is why I have faith in humanity. And I also believe that the more we reach out to women in China, India, Africa, the more they gain the strength to stand up for themselves, by simply learning that it IS possible.

Keep standing tall - you're a valuable person. And know that not just Hope but I too, respect and am grateful to you.
FounDit
Posted: Friday, May 18, 2018 1:19:28 PM

Romany wrote:

By the time I left there were organisations in the city, as well as on campus, set up to help old people; girls and women were going into business on their own; the boys started to look at women differently and were part of this "revolution"; and eventually I was presented with an award from the Chinese Gov. for my "work for the Upliftment of the Chinese Youth"...after which all of these things we'd put in place took on a life of their own: - so the students themselves built on those original days and spread more without even needing me at all!

And this was exactly the point I was trying to make. Old people, girls, women, and young boys were all changing their attitudes and looking at things differently. It is precisely what I meant when I said the whole society needed help, not just women.

And how did you do it? Not by focusing on violence against women, but by including everyone in the idea of all being equal, males and females; by pointing them outward in volunteer work, helping others whether male of female. This was exactly the point I was trying to make: it takes everyone to lift everyone.

The focus should not be on only one group. Focusing on violence against women puts the males in the society in the camp of the enemy, and makes them feel that way. You aren't likely to get very far with that campaign.

But when everyone is included and made to feel they are making the whole society better, progress can be see, as you experienced.

Congratulations on your success!

Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Sunday, May 20, 2018 11:46:28 AM

Hats off to you Romany, for the excellent and tremendous work done by you for the betterment of the miserable people. You must be feeling on cloud 9 when you hear from them of their present life; that is a blessing directly from the Almighty. That is the real happiness when one’s head bows with instant thankfulness to the Almighty. Presently I am about 68, my health is an impediment. But still I had done as much as I could in the past many years.

FounDit sir ye r right with your concept but it’s a bit , I repeat, a bit distracting. Lets take the problems one at a time.

Romany
Posted: Sunday, May 20, 2018 2:22:21 PM

Why thank you, Ashwin. I didn't tell the anecdote to boast or anything: just to prove that, if you empower women, you can change the world!!

(And yeah - some of them make me feel so proud I could just burst!!)
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 12:36:38 PM

Thank you for excellent thoughts, work done and attitude, Romany.

Hope123
Posted: Saturday, May 26, 2018 4:59:49 PM

Way to go, Ireland. Overwhelming vote! Changes ARE being made.

Romany
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2018 6:31:24 AM

Which makes it all the more ridiculous that only America, once one of the leading industrial nations, should suddenly take a leap backwards and plunge itself back decades back into the past.

It would be bad enough for themselves to take the retrograde step in Abortion Law they have taken. But to extend it to cause death and misery to women in other countries is like a declaration of war to one half of those populations too.

If they do succeed in overturning Roe v Wade, women everywhere will die, infant mortality rates will spiral up, and misery and tragedy will have social and economic consequences.
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Monday, May 28, 2018 1:48:11 AM

The result in Ireland's historic referendum on relaxing abortion laws has been a "resounding" yes.
Speaking shortly after the result was confirmed, the country's prime minister Leo Varadkar said it marked "the day Ireland stepped out from under the last of our shadows and into the light".
The country has voted in favour of ending the abortion ban .Exit polls released after Friday's vote had suggested more than two thirds of voters wanted to change the country's strict law.
"No more stigma. The veil of secrecy is lifted. No more isolation. The burden of shame is gone" said Leo Varadkar, the PM.
Ireland's health minister has said the story of the late Savita Halappanavar was in the front of his mind when he voted, but he would not be drawn on the suggestion that the new abortion law should be called Savita's Law. Savita is a woman of Indian origin, the who spear-headed the movement.

Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Tuesday, June 5, 2018 12:50:34 PM

Hinduism defines woman to be a man’s half-batsman. It is clearly indicated and symbolized through “Shiv-Shakti” that a man is incomplete without a woman. Holy Books have preached equality of both sexes. But even in today’s ultramodern India the situation remains the same as it was centuries ago.
The face and style of women exploitation has changed from visible to invisible. However, the cruelty and extent is unchanged. In earlier times, where women were prohibited from pursuing education, today, educated women are exploited at home and at their workplaces. Physical exploitation of women has it’s prominence in the rural areas of the country while urban women face mental torture that many times extends to physical torture.
Modern educated women have become independent but their responsibilities have increased. A modern Indian woman has to provide income as well as has to perform household duties to support her family. During marriage a woman’s family background and property still plays a major role for acquiring a good alliance.
So, the question remains whether have women really acquired independence through education or have become scapegoats to new kinds of exploitation. Has her plight changed? The answers to these questions are difficult. Education surely makes us aware of our rights but social conditioning makes us believe the unacceptable norms of the society to be our duties.
A divorcee woman or a widow still finds it difficult to find a worthy alliance. But it still works for a man under similar conditions. Even if the woman is the sole income provider of the household and the man has proven to be incompetent, she is expected to be a socially correct “good wife”.
Female feticides have increased in the metropolitan cities due to advancement of science and technology while infanticides continue to grow in rural areas. The modern policy of countering population explosion and family planning has become an excuse for those who prefer sons over daughters.
A wife is discarded; a daughter-in-law is abolished for not giving birth to a boy child. Although it is scientifically proven, that it is the man who is the sole determinant of the sex of the child to be born. A girl child’s education is interrupted and she is diverted towards much “feminine” educational courses.
While a male child is encouraged to pursue his desired professions under the pretext that he will take the household responsibility on growing up. Whether he really does or does not, yet he is prioritized for being the “heir” who will carry on the family surname.
Even if it was Kalpana Chawla and Indira Gandhi who actually proved to be the “heirs”, it is beyond the understanding of the male dominated Indian society.
Marriage is security for a woman and it might be an easier way of accumulating wealth for a man. Parents of a girl child educate their daughter and accumulate wealth for finding a “better groom” for her. Still, her income generating capacities are tested by the boy’s parents.
If she qualifies in terms of property, education, income only then she has a chance to get a good husband. If she lacks in the first and the last category then her chances can be reduced to nil. Even her beauty cannot compensate for it.
Beauty of a woman has the last of all priorities during match-making. However, it becomes a potential determinant if a man is highly-educated and earns extremely well. Then, no matter his own looks and age he is considered deserving to get a beautiful, well-earning, and highly educated girl belonging to a well-settled family.
This gender bias is prevalent in workplaces as well. A talented and intelligent woman faces mental abuse from her male seniors who consider her as to be a potential threat to their designation. Physical abuse and exploitation is present to some extent in glamour industries.
But predominantly, women face the glass-ceiling effect. Despite of talent and skills a woman employee gets less number of promotions and her wages are often lesser than her male colleagues.
Child marriage and sati are still prevalent in states like Rajasthan. Denying a girl her right to live and to live happily are heinous crimes of the same nature. But sadly, even in the 21st century India, women struggle to find their right place. Dowry deaths have not become a talk of past nor has woman’s secondary status elevated to equal.
The change that has happened is only that the picture is hidden, sometimes behind the close doors and sometimes underneath a dark region imperceptible to the naked eye. Dogmatic situation is prevalent in many countries of Asia, Africa, South America, and , may be in the USA.

Plight of widows in orthodox society in India is heart-melting. I will shed light in next blog.

progpen
Posted: Tuesday, June 5, 2018 6:24:04 PM

Neurons: 297,987
Romany wrote:
Which makes it all the more ridiculous that only America, once one of the leading industrial nations, should suddenly take a leap backwards and plunge itself back decades back into the past.

It would be bad enough for themselves to take the retrograde step in Abortion Law they have taken. But to extend it to cause death and misery to women in other countries is like a declaration of war to one half of those populations too.

If they do succeed in overturning Roe v Wade, women everywhere will die, infant mortality rates will spiral up, and misery and tragedy will have social and economic consequences.

Romany, the rest of the civilized world is looking at the US not as a leader, but as a bright and shining example of how not to lead the free world. Our Supreme Court just ruled that businesses are now allowed to discriminate against LGBTQ individuals and couples as long as they are Christian (no one in their right mind would argue that Muslim run businesses should be allowed to discriminate in the US). But ever more countries are picking up where the US has left off and are showing the rest of the world that they don't need the US to lead anymore.

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
Hope123
Posted: Saturday, June 9, 2018 10:53:27 PM

The Canadian government announced at the G7 summit in Quebec that it has raised more than $3.8 billion in an effort with other countries to send the world's poorest girls to school. Good for the G6.

The US contributed a big fat zero. Guess they can't afford it.

Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Sunday, June 10, 2018 10:39:57 AM

The poor US. Billions of dollars for 'extra-terrestrials' (NASA) and war-weapons nothing for poorest girls.Think Think Think

Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Sunday, June 10, 2018 10:40:39 AM

Poor Uncle Sam. Billions of dollars for 'extra-terrestrials' (NASA) and war-weapons nothing for poorest girls.Think Think Think

Parpar1836
Posted: Friday, June 29, 2018 5:56:44 PM

Neurons: 10,034
What happened to the Chinese girls abandoned by their birth mothers because of that disastrous one-child-per-family rule? They ended up in state-run orphanages. The luckier ones were adopted. I know one such story, written by the man who found an abandoned girl under a bench in a railway-station waiting room, and was so haunted by her situation that he and his wife adopted her. She's now an adult, has her own family, and is doing well. I've also been following the progress of two more recently-born girls, both deaf, who were adopted from Chinese orphanages by U.S. families, and are thriving and loved. China's loss, America's gain.
Romany
Posted: Friday, June 29, 2018 7:54:05 PM

Parpar - I don't blame the one-child policy for the abandonment and treatment of girls/women in China. Really, at the time it was inposed, China HAD to take some sort of drastic steps to curtail the population explosion and the millions and millions who were born only to starve to death. The poverty & conditions in rural China are horrific.

The problem was in the cultural meme which made women and girls 2nd-class citizens - disposable, lacking rights, used as punching bags, disregarded and unimportant except for their ability to bear boy-children. Before the one child policy women would be forced to go on bearing children until they produced sons (one to take over the family business, one to become a scholar, one to work in the City or even overseas; and girl-babies were buried, abandoned, cast aside by the millions.

In one respect the One Child policy resulted in girl-babies/children becoming more valued. And to-day when, because of the imbalance of gender, millions of young men are facing a future alone and without enough women to marry and bear all those babies, attitudes to women have - and continue to - change.

Plus now they have choices and more and more of them are deciding not to marry at all. So women are valued as they never have been before - and boy! do they make the most of it!! Amongst the youth they now have the upper hand. But it's their parents and families - the older generation - who continue to pressure them to abide by the Old Ways - a reason China has the highest suicide rate in the world and children as young as 7 years old are part of the suicide statistics.

(Just before I left in 2013 I remember the stark images of a village which became inundated with hundreds and hundreds of tiny corpses after a flood.Most still had their hospital tags on their minute little wrists and had been washed downstream from a large hospital. They were all girls and the villagers ensured that these apocalyptic images were splashed all over the media. Seeing this stark, nightmarish scenario shocked the entire country and did more than any Government edict to change the minds of many of even the older die-hards about the value of females.)
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Sunday, July 1, 2018 10:52:09 AM

The plight of widows in India is despicable. Sascha Richter Le in her report described the situation as under and its a true picture.

There are approximately 34 million widows in India. In the traditional view, they are physically alive but socially dead. They were expected to die before their husbands or along with them. Most of the widows experience deprivations and discrimination on a daily basis, not least of which include suffering from severe depression because of isolation and the absence of emotional and social support.
Widows are socially stigmatized and must forego all forms of make up and symbols of marriage or femininity. Traditional superstitions mark them as inauspicious. That is why widows are banned from some religious ceremonies and weddings (sometimes even of their own children’s wedding ceremonies). Widows’ access to resources typically ends with the demise of the husband. A lot of them are not able to support themselves and become economically and socially dependent on their children, who often face problems in sharing their resources with their mothers. In many cases, the mother becomes a burden and is consequently abandoned.
Although the Constitution now guarantees widows certain rights, this is often obscured by lack of information. Widows are often not aware of their legal rights, nor could they afford a lawyer to assist them. Sometimes widows even subordinate themselves under customs, for the sake of the family harmony, and forfeit their inheritance to their children or in-laws. Living in oppressive environments, some widows come to the holy city of Vrindavan in order to devote themselves to Lord Krishna and find salvation and peace. But even here some depend mainly on begging, singing devotional songs and charity.
Fortunately, there is a change happening in the attitudes of people regarding widows, particularly in urban India. The exodus of widows to the holy city of Vrindavan has slowed to a trickle, with more and more widows opting to stay with their children, who are running double income homes. Many widows, if they opt to come to the holy cities, are also doing it out of choice, seeking a life dedicated to spirituality.
Non-governmental organizations are taking measures to empower widows. These organizations run shelter homes and capacity-building centers, where widows are taught skills and are given the comfort of food — at least one warm meal a day — medicine, tap water, and shelter, so they do not fall victim to exploitation on the streets. But still the need for improvement is huge and interventions are few. Change is taking place, but slowly.
Sascha Richter Le is a photographer from Berlin, Germany.