The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Birthday of Kim Il-Sung Options
Buzzito
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2018 5:16:26 PM

Neurons: 539,221
The birthday of kim il sung ought to be a day in which the civilized world frees the North Korean people from the heinous kim family.
Yarin
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2018 6:36:20 PM

Neurons: 2,482
"the civilized world"!!!? No in fact the barbaric and criminal world, loving wars and bombadment of innocent people.
At least the US criminal regime that makes every now and then wars and spread terrorism here and there.
"Bloodthirty world" that fits better.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2018 8:35:41 AM

Neurons: 174,388
Well - a topic in which I agree with both of two opposing 'posters'! Amazing!

I agree that N.Korea would probably be better off under a different leader. (In fact, "probably" is not really strong enough.)

I agree with Yarin that there IS no "civilised world".
Definitely not the USA - which I guess is what Buzzito meant by "civilised world" - The USA actually surprisingly came second (behind Uganda) in the "Most Warmongering Nation on Earth" stakes.
A study in 1993 by Joseph J. Kelley III of Boston University, found that the USA came out top when 'number of years at war' was compared to 'number of years since founding' (except for some very recently-founded countries).

However, that is just a comparative - there really is no "civilised world" - and hardly any large country can be considered 'peaceful' - though Australia and New Zealand don't look bad from that viewpoint.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
towan52
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2018 10:58:21 AM

Neurons: 175,855
I believe that Tristan da Cunha did very well in that survey!

"Today I was a hero. I rescued some beer that was trapped in a bottle"
TL Hobs
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2018 6:21:20 PM

Neurons: 5,531
Take a look at Costa Rica. It's about as civilized as it gets. No military, does not interfere with other countries, well educated population, tropical paradise. But, nobody goes there. It's too crowded.

"When you don't know where you are going, you have to stick together just in case someone gets there." - Ken Kesey
Y111
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 9:15:42 AM

Neurons: 1,069
Are "civilized" and "peaceful" synonyms in English? In Russian they don't seem to be. At least I don't see them as such. If you are uncivilized, you take a stone and hit your enemy on the head till he dies. Or something similar. Whereas if you are civilized, you just use some more sophisticated way to kill him. Maybe with a missile launched from a submarine.

Maybe that's only one meaning of the word. However, it exists, and I think it's what is meant when we talk about civilized nations. Because they've been fighting each other all the way. Does that mean their civilization wasn't developing and there is no difference between them and some Stone Age tribes?
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 1:35:02 PM

Well, really, "civilised" just means "living in cities, not working the land".

Buzzito's meaning (from experience of his past posts and comments) means "Of the USA".
"The Civilised World" is "The USA".
Anything outside that collection of warring states is uncivilised.

"Peaceful" is a synonym of the normal general meaning of 'civilised', yes.
"Behaving in a civilised manner" (to me) is discussing problems, finding solutions, rather than just killing your opponent or slanging him to try to prove he is SO EVIL that anything he says MUST be untrue.

In my mind, the USA does not behave in a civilised manner (as a country under its current (last couple of centuries) governments). Very likely, the majority of American people ARE civilised. The American society as seen, is not civilised.
The UK, Russia, China, most European countries show the same tendency.
South American states have a different 'uncivilisation', most African states are uncivilised in a different way (more inter-tribal than international).
The Asian states tend to also battle rather than discuss - more, it seems, on religious grounds.

It really does seem that almost no country on Earth could really be called "civilised" - but especially not the USA.

Y111
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 2:01:04 PM

Neurons: 1,069
Thank you, Drag0nspeaker, I see your point. In that sense, probably only some small countries deserve that name.
TL Hobs
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2018 10:53:43 PM

Neurons: 5,531
In view of the recent announcement about a meeting between the leaders of the US and No. Korea, not knowing where, and thinking about this thread: civilized nations, it came to me that I have a solution for where they should meet.

How about sending them both to the International Space Station? It's a neutral place, not flying any country's flag, with no geographical land base. It's outer space. So, why not meet there?

Then, while they are swapping lies and swatting flies the rest of the crew can slip out into the return vehicle, shutting the door behind them and leave both of those idiots to each other.

Think of the money we would save not having to pay to go back and get them.

"When you don't know where you are going, you have to stick together just in case someone gets there." - Ken Kesey
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2018 10:23:48 AM

Or cheaper yet, in the lion's enclosure at the zoo.
No-one can say that the lion would be biased towards any one nationality.

pedro
Posted: Monday, April 23, 2018 1:38:23 AM

Neurons: 61,249
TL Hobs wrote:
Take a look at Costa Rica. It's about as civilized as it gets. No military, does not interfere with other countries, well educated population, tropical paradise. But, nobody goes there. It's too crowded.

Nobody goes there because they're already there. That's why it's crowded.

All good ideas arrive by chance- Max Ernst
coag
Posted: Monday, April 23, 2018 2:53:46 AM

Neurons: 5,635
pedro wrote:
Nobody goes there because they're already there.

True. Wherever you go, there you are.