Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

shopping mall Options
Koh Elaine
Posted: Saturday, April 14, 2018 5:48:24 PM

Neurons: 13,768
shopping mall
mall

The above terms are synonymous.

Could somebody explain how the terms come about when "mall" alone would suffice?

Thanks.

whatson
Posted: Saturday, April 14, 2018 8:25:54 PM

Neurons: 2,532
Koh Elaine
Posted: Saturday, April 14, 2018 8:58:48 PM

Thanks, whatson.

My question is why is a mall also called a shopping mall? I'm wondering because a shopping centre is NOT called a centre.
palapaguy
Posted: Saturday, April 14, 2018 11:12:27 PM

Neurons: 9,134
Koh Elaine wrote:
Thanks, whatson.

My question is why is a mall also called a shopping mall? I'm wondering because a shopping centre is NOT called a centre.

Common usage. English is not rigorously structured or applied. Frustrating, I realize. Brick wall
Koh Elaine
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2018 12:34:48 AM

Thanks, palapaguy.

I think it's similar to the shortened forms of mobile phone and cell phone.

They are referred to as "mobile" and "cell", respectively

The only difference is "mobile" and "cell" are informal, while "shopping mall" and "mall" are on the same footing.
TMe
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2018 11:30:27 AM

Neurons: 3,762
As per TFD:

2. mall - mercantile establishment consisting of a carefully landscaped complex of shops representing leading merchandisersmall - mercantile establishment consisting of a carefully landscaped complex of shops representing leading merchandisers; usually includes restaurants and a convenient parking area; a modern version of the traditional marketplace; "a good plaza should have a movie house"; "they spent their weekends at the local malls"
shopping center, shopping centre, shopping mall, plaza, center
food court - an area (as in a shopping mall) where fast food is sold (usually around a common eating area)
mercantile establishment, outlet, retail store, sales outlet - a place of business for retailing goods

I am a layman.
Eoin Riedy
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2018 7:19:55 PM

Neurons: 1,019
"Mall" is rarely used in the broader sense of "a sheltered walk or promenade". There are exceptions, the National Mall in Washington, D.C. for instance.

"Center", on the other hand, can refer to many different kinds of places, so it's not a very good shorthand for "shopping center". The conference center, the dance center, the medical center, the civic center, Lincoln Center, Rockefeller Center, the convention center, the World Trade Center, the student center - it would be too confusing to just say "center".
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2018 5:48:17 AM

Neurons: 162,136
The ORGIGINAL word 'Mall' (as far as I can see) was a proper name.
It was just the name of a specific street in London.

"The Mall" in London was a street which contained an alley used for the ball-game of 'pall-mall'. The street was named after the game.

Later, the word "mall" was used a little more generally to mean "a sheltered walk or promenade". However, this is not common.

Later, "shopping mall" was used for "a sheltered walk or promenade containing shops". This was very common in America - not so common in Britain.

Later, because 'mall' is so rarely used, people started shortening "shopping mall" to just 'mall'. It also became more common in Britain.

There is one which I know of which is just called "the centre" - there may be others.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
thar
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2018 7:35:07 AM

Neurons: 67,639
I agree in Britain I have only ever heard if shopping centres, never malls - that is an A!American term.

But to show the previous point made about the logic - a shopping mall is the only mall - but there are lots of centres:

This is a sign from Shrewsbury. If you look up 'Riverside Mall' you get results for Riverside Shopping Centre, so I think it has that meaning. But only one mall - loads of potential centres!

It is all about habit - but that habit usually arises from the interplay of convenience vs clear communication.

Kirill Vorobyov
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2018 8:19:56 AM

Neurons: 1,950
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
The ORGIGINAL word 'Mall' (as far as I can see) was a proper name.
It was just the name of a specific street in London.

"The Mall" in London was a street which contained an alley used for the ball-game of 'pall-mall'. The street was named after the game.

Later, the word "mall" was used a little more generally to mean "a sheltered walk or promenade". However, this is not common.

Later, "shopping mall" was used for "a sheltered walk or promenade containing shops". This was very common in America - not so common in Britain.

Later, because 'mall' is so rarely used, people started shortening "shopping mall" to just 'mall'. It also became more common in Britain.

There is one which I know of which is just called "the centre" - there may be others.

This is very interesting. Thank you very much for this post!
Koh Elaine
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2018 11:42:13 PM

Thanks, DragOnspeaker and thar, for the replies with illustrations.