The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

According to me Options
Koh Elaine
Posted: Saturday, April 14, 2018 2:10:19 PM

Neurons: 15,408
According to me, there were three mango trees in the garden.

Is the part in bold OK?

Thanks.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Saturday, April 14, 2018 3:04:54 PM

Neurons: 170,176
Hi Koh Elaine.

It is correct.
However, it is not common to use it when you are speaking of a concrete fact (like "three trees"). It is more often used when saying what someone else has said. "According to Newton (or "According to Newton's Laws), an object will remain still until someone pushes it."
Speaking of myself, I would expect it more of an opinion - "According to me, English is not used so well as it used to be, colloquially."

Even then, probably more common phrases would be "in my opinion" or "according to my observation" or "according to what I hear".

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
BobShilling
Posted: Saturday, April 14, 2018 6:13:03 PM

Neurons: 2,304
I see Drag0's point, but I do not entirely agree. For me/in my opinion/as far as I am concerned, 'according to me' except jocularly, is rarely natural. I feel that 'according to' is used when a speaker is indicating the source of their information, and is accepting no responsibility for the validity of it. The expressions I have italicised in the second and third sentence of this post are more natural ways of saying that I am talking about something I do not present as an indisputable fact.
NKM
Posted: Saturday, April 14, 2018 8:34:11 PM

Neurons: 244,150
Surely something like "as far as I can see" or "unless I'm wrong" would be far more likely than "according to me".

On the other hand, for the sake of contrast one might say, "According to John there were two trees; according to me there were three of them."

Koh Elaine
Posted: Saturday, April 14, 2018 8:40:33 PM

Neurons: 15,408
Thanks to all of you.
IMcRout
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2018 7:57:55 AM

Neurons: 546,023
I feel it is an attempt at directly translating the Dutch expression 'volgens mij', which has a somewhat different meaning.

--> I think, I reckon, I suspect

Thus, 'I think, there were three mango trees in the garden.' would be a better equivalent.

I totally take back all those times I didn't want to nap when I was younger. (Anon)