The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

having + a verb in past participle Options
robjen
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2018 4:14:06 AM

Neurons: 3,061
I am going to make up two sentences below.

(1) I'm sorry for having lost your computer after I used it at the staff meeting last week.

(2) Having written for five continuous hours, my hand was very tired.

I would like to ask two questions.

(A) Is it grammatically correct to say "having lost" to describe an action that happened in the past?

(B) I've heard that you have to relate "having done something" to a person because it's the person who does the action.

For example, Having written a warning letter to his irresponsible employee, he will not fire him.

Does it make sense to relate "having written" to a hand?

Thank for your help.
papo_308
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2018 8:10:04 AM

Neurons: 23,059
I think that (1) is correct.
In (2), when the subordinate clause is shortened like this, the two clauses should have the same subject,
which is not the case here.
It would seem more natural to write:

Having written for five continuous hours, I felt that my hand was very tired.

Just my opinion, of course.
sureshot
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2018 12:19:58 PM

Neurons: 355,370
robjen wrote:
I am going to make up two sentences below.

(1) I'm sorry for having lost your computer after I used it at the staff meeting last week.

(2) Having written for five continuous hours, my hand was very tired.

I would like to ask two questions.

(A) Is it grammatically correct to say "having lost" to describe an action that happened in the past?

(B) I've heard that you have to relate "having done something" to a person because it's the person who does the action.

For example, Having written a warning letter to his irresponsible employee, he will not fire him.

Thank for your help.

The specific and brief answers are:

(A) Yes
(B) Your question is not very clear to me. The expression "having + past participle" will indicate an action.
The expression "having written" is not restricted to the use of "hand" only.These days, a "writing" can be done by other ways also. Hint: How did Stephen Hawking write?
BobShilling
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2018 2:02:55 PM

Neurons: 2,294
robjen wrote:

"I'm sorry for losing ..." is simpler and, in my opinion, more natural. The following 'after' makes the sequence of events clear.

Quote:
Is it grammatically correct to say "having lost" to describe an action that happened in the past?

It's possible. ""Having lost your computer, I went out and bought a replacement."

Quote:
I've heard that you have to relate "having done something" to a person because it's the person who does the action.

Not necessarily. "Having spread from the car to the shed, the fire soon leapt to the house itself."

Quote:

I'd be more inclined to regard this as a dangling participle, and think of the 'having written' as relating to the speaker.