The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Overland component Options
ClaireNguyen
Posted: Monday, April 9, 2018 5:32:53 AM

Neurons: 655
Hi all,

I do not understand the words "overland component" in following sentence:"In September 2013 — about a year after he became secretary-general of the Communist Party and six months after being elected president — Xi Jinping proposed the overland component, the Silk Road Economic Belt, during a trip to Kazakhstan."
Please help to give me an interpretation for it.

Thank you.
Kirill Vorobyov
Posted: Monday, April 9, 2018 6:15:40 AM

Neurons: 2,865
As far as I know, the Chineese have proposed several new routes to facilitate their trade with Europe. The originally proposed route, again, if I am not mistaken, involved shipping goods by sea to some port hub and then taking them from there.

In 2013 they probably added the overland component to this trade infrastructure project, i.e. an alternative route that goes entirely by land (via Kazakhstan and Russia, I've also heard of options involving Iran and Turkey).

I don't know which of the mutiple options discussed they have finally chosen, if any, or whether they are implementing them all in parallel.
ClaireNguyen
Posted: Monday, April 9, 2018 6:25:06 AM

As far I read, there are actually both maritime routes and land routes in their initiative called "One belt, One road".
From your opinion, can I derive that the "overland component" is referring to the route which they intend to build on the land?

I'm an English language learner, please let me know if there are grammatical errors in my posts.
Kirill Vorobyov
Posted: Monday, April 9, 2018 6:32:35 AM

Neurons: 2,865
Yes, it's either an "overland component" of the entire project, in which case I think it refers to a route that goes entirely by land, or an "overland component" to some mixed maritime/land option. From the fact he announced this in Kazakhstan I conclude it's more likely the former.

I am not a native speaker either, so I am not the one to be asked about English.Angel
leonAzul
Posted: Monday, April 9, 2018 12:09:27 PM

Neurons: 27,518
ClaireNguyen wrote:
Hi all,

I do not understand the words "overland component" in following sentence:"In September 2013 — about a year after he became secretary-general of the Communist Party and six months after being elected president — Xi Jinping proposed the overland component, the Silk Road Economic Belt, during a trip to Kazakhstan."
Please help to give me an interpretation for it.

Kirill Vorobyov gave an excellent answer. In this context, the word "component" is synonymous with "part" or "segment". It is also in apposition to the phrase "Silk Road Economic Belt" (SREB).

The SREB and the "21st-century Maritime Silk Road" (MSR) are components of the overall Belt and Road Initiative (BRI), formerly known as One Belt and One Road Initiative (OBOR). On the surface it promotes well-maintained and standardized infrastructure such as rail, road, and seaport facilities across Eurasia. Behind it is involvement with China-based engineering and financing.

"Make it go away, Mrs Whatsit," he whispered. "Make it go away. It's evil."
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Monday, April 9, 2018 5:02:50 PM

Neurons: 182,303
My first 'reading' of the statement gave me the same idea.

The whole route would involve moving the goods by land to a port, then by sea, then by land again.
I guessed that the 'sea-component' would end in Kazakhstan, and the 'overland component' would carry on from there.

Well done Kirill.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
ClaireNguyen
Posted: Monday, April 9, 2018 10:06:56 PM

Dear Kiri, Leon, and Dragon,

I get it now.
Thank you all.
leonAzul
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2018 6:07:22 PM

Neurons: 27,518
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
My first 'reading' of the statement gave me the same idea.

The whole route would involve moving the goods by land to a port, then by sea, then by land again.
I guessed that the 'sea-component' would end in Kazakhstan, and the 'overland component' would carry on from there.

Well done Kirill.

The Silk Road Economic Belt (SREB) is entirely overland and aimed at improving trade between China and Eastern Europe, in particular, and Europe in general. It is a component of the larger initiative called The Belt and Road Initiative (BRI). The latter includes efforts to improve port facilities in India to improve trade there and ultimately Eastern Africa, as well as rail and road facilities into Asiatic Russia.

"Make it go away, Mrs Whatsit," he whispered. "Make it go away. It's evil."