The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Before the bearded criminal could respond Options
Nikitus
Posted: Friday, April 6, 2018 10:19:09 AM

Neurons: 1,479
Hello.

First of all, thanks for all your help and time.

Are the following sentences grammatically correct?

"Before the bearded criminal could respond, the leader made a gesture with his right hand, which caught the attention of everyone present inside the abandoned warehouse. Suddenly, a man with a serious expression in his face, dressed in a sober navy blue vest and black pants, greeted the leader of the group, and then began to speak to everyone."

Thanks.
TMe
Posted: Friday, April 6, 2018 10:36:33 AM

Neurons: 3,732
Its okay.

A small addition I suggest; IMO

"Before the bearded criminal could respond, the leader made a gesture with his right hand, which caught the attention of everyone present inside the abandoned warehouse. Suddenly, a man with a serious expression on his face, dressed in a sober navy blue vest and black pants, appeared greeted the leader of the group, and then began to speak to everyone."

I am a layman.
FounDit
Posted: Friday, April 6, 2018 10:41:45 AM

Neurons: 47,274
Nikitus wrote:
Hello.

I would assume you have already told your readers that the group is inside a warehouse, so that could be omitted. I would omit the comma after "group" because the man did two things -- he greeted the leader and began to speak to the group.

"Before the bearded criminal could respond, the leader made a gesture with his right hand, which caught the attention of everyone present. Suddenly, a man with a serious expression on his face, dressed in a sober navy blue vest and black pants, greeted the leader of the group and then began to speak to everyone."

Thanks.

A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~
Nikitus
Posted: Friday, April 6, 2018 11:49:35 AM

TMe wrote:
Its okay.

A small addition I suggest; IMO

"Before the bearded criminal could respond, the leader made a gesture with his right hand, which caught the attention of everyone present inside the abandoned warehouse. Suddenly, a man with a serious expression on his face, dressed in a sober navy blue vest and black pants, appeared greeted the leader of the group, and then began to speak to everyone."

Thanks!
Nikitus
Posted: Friday, April 6, 2018 11:51:21 AM

FounDit wrote:
Nikitus wrote:
Hello.

I would assume you have already told your readers that the group is inside a warehouse, so that could be omitted.

Yes, I did it.

I would omit the comma after "group" because the man did two things -- he greeted the leader and began to speak to the group.

Understood.

"Before the bearded criminal could respond, the leader made a gesture with his right hand, which caught the attention of everyone present. Suddenly, a man with a serious expression on his face, dressed in a sober navy blue vest and black pants, greeted the leader of the group and then began to speak to everyone."

Thanks.

Thanks.
Parpar1836
Posted: Sunday, April 8, 2018 9:24:20 PM

Neurons: 8,797
Before the bearded criminal could respond, the leader raised his right hand and gestured emphatically, which caught the attention of everyone present. Suddenly, a serious-looking man wearing a sober navy-blue vest and black pants stood up, approached the leader, greeted him, and began to address the gathering.