The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Inadvertently, the bearded man expressed Options
Nikitus
Posted: Wednesday, April 4, 2018 10:11:34 AM

Neurons: 1,804
Hello.

First of all, thanks for all your time and help.

Are the following sentences grammatically correct?

"Inadvertently, the bearded man expressed his concern. "It's been a while since nothing happened, we spent thinking about plans to make real money, but we have nothing. I know that the old man from the minimarket does not sell much, but it is money to be able to survive."

Thanks.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Wednesday, April 4, 2018 11:08:59 AM

Neurons: 182,147
Hi Nikitus.

I cannot understand it really.

If he said all that, it cannot have been inadvertent - he was deliberately expressing concern, not accidentally.

Do you actually mean "It's been a long time since nothing happened" - that a lot of things have been happening all the time?
Or do you mean "It's been a long time since anything happened" - recently, nothing has happened?

There seems to be a noun missing from the next part. "Spent" is a transitive verb - it must have an object. Something like "We spent hours thinking . . ." or "We spent ages thinking . . .".

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Nikitus
Posted: Wednesday, April 4, 2018 11:26:44 AM

Dear Drag0nspeaker, first of all, thanks for your help.

Drag0nspeaker wrote:
Hi Nikitus.

I cannot understand it really.

If he said all that, it cannot have been inadvertent - he was deliberately expressing concern, not accidentally.

Yes, it was my mistake. Maybe this is better:

"After a long silence where everyone looked at each other's faces without saying anything, the bearded man decided to break it, expressing his concerns."

Do you actually mean "It's been a long time since nothing happened" - that a lot of things have been happening all the time?
Or do you mean "It's been a long time since anything happened" - recently, nothing has happened?

I meant that nothing happened in a long time.

"It's been a long time since anything happened"

There seems to be a noun missing from the next part. "Spent" is a transitive verb - it must have an object. Something like "We spent hours thinking . . ." or "We spent ages thinking . . .".

I believe maybe this is better:

"After a long silence where everyone looked at each other's faces without saying anything, the bearded man decided to break it, expressing his concerns about the future. It's been a while since anything happened, we had lost a lot of time thinking about plans to make real money, but we have nothing. I know that the old man from the minimarket does not sell much, but it is money to be able to survive."

Thanks.

Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Wednesday, April 4, 2018 11:39:08 AM

Neurons: 182,147
Hi again.
That all makes sense to me now - except, I'm not sure who is supposed to survive, the old man or us. I probably would know, if I had read the rest of the story, but I only have this paragraph.

"I know that the old man from the mini-market does not sell much, but it is money which he can use to survive."
"I know that the old man from the mini-market does not sell much, but it is money we can use to survive."

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Nikitus
Posted: Wednesday, April 4, 2018 3:13:49 PM

Dear Drag0nspeaker: Once again, thanks for your help.

Drag0nspeaker wrote:
Hi again.
That all makes sense to me now - except, I'm not sure who is supposed to survive, the old man or us. I probably would know, if I had read the rest of the story, but I only have this paragraph.

"I know that the old man from the mini-market does not sell much, but it is money which he can use to survive."
"I know that the old man from the mini-market does not sell much, but it is money we can use to survive."

Yes, I mean that, (but it is money we can use to survive.

Thanks!