mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Question about 'Jail' Options
QP
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2018 11:12:18 PM

Neurons: 5,098
Hi friends,

In a novel, it said :-

He has a storefront office on Van Nuys Boulevard a block from the civic center. His telephone number can been seen from the high-power wing on the third floor of the jail.

Could you please let me know what is "the high-power wing"? Is it a jail for executed inmate? Is it a solitary confinement on the third floor?

Thank you
FounDit
Posted: Sunday, April 1, 2018 10:26:50 AM

Neurons: 47,261
QP wrote:
Hi friends,

In a novel, it said :-

He has a storefront office on Van Nuys Boulevard a block from the civic center. His telephone number can been seen from the high-power wing on the third floor of the jail.

Could you please let me know what is "the high-power wing"? Is it a jail for executed inmate? Is it a solitary confinement on the third floor?

Thank you

More context would help, but without that, "high-power" would normally refer to those in authority over the jail.

A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~
thar
Posted: Sunday, April 1, 2018 2:13:33 PM

Neurons: 67,565
I'd say it was the high powered prisoners. Where the gang bosses are placed, in the cushy cells. Whistle His clientele - the ones he wanted to call him.

But, as said, context should tell you what his attitude was.
QP
Posted: Sunday, April 1, 2018 10:26:28 PM

Neurons: 5,098
Thank you both of you. I get it now.
mactoria
Posted: Monday, April 2, 2018 4:47:57 AM

Neurons: 1,169,777
QP: thar's comment appears to be totally accurate. Just to put a fine point on the quote, the storefront business is no doubt either a bailbondman's office or a lawyer's office, either of which someone in jail would need, particularly those in the 'high-power wing.'
TMe
Posted: Monday, April 2, 2018 9:47:49 AM

Neurons: 3,710

If the gang bosses are placed, in the cushy cells

Then it should be the high-security wing, instead.

I am a layman.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Monday, April 2, 2018 11:04:39 AM

Neurons: 161,951
Hi TMe.

Both mactoria and thar are writing about the gang-bosses who pay the prison officers large 'tips' to be treated well.
It is not the high-security wing, it is the wing for high-power prisoners who can pay a lot for good treatment.

The full quote is
Quote:
"Valenzuela has a storefront office on Van Nuys Boulevard a block from the civic center, which includes two courthouses and the Van Nuys jail. He calls his business Liberty Bail Bonds. His phone number, in red neon on the roof of his establishment, can be seen from the high power wing on the third floor of the jail. His number is scratched into the paint on the wall next to every pay phone on every other ward in the jail."

The prisoners want to know how to contact him (he helps get them bail - puts them at liberty - "Liberty Bail Bonds").
He has his number on the roof where the rich and powerful prisoners can see it - so they can call him.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
TMe
Posted: Monday, April 2, 2018 11:25:27 AM

Think Think Think Think Think ....is that so? I thought the high-power wing is an official nomenclature.

I am really a layman.

That telephone number must be the number of the interceder.

I am a layman.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Tuesday, April 3, 2018 11:21:45 AM

TMe wrote:
That telephone number must be the number of the interceder.

It is the number of a Bail Bond Agent, Valenzuela. "Inteceder" is a possible word for that job.

thar
Posted: Tuesday, April 3, 2018 1:28:09 PM

Neurons: 67,565
If I were in jail, I would choose these guys to post my bail. They obviously serve a high-class clientele!

This is high-powered, but it was what makes sense in the context. I guess you could make it an attributive noun.

Quote:
[high-powered
ˌ
adjective

having a great deal of power, influence, or dynamism.
"high-powered senior executives"

involving a great deal of responsibility.
"a very high-powered job"/

Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Wednesday, April 4, 2018 3:00:39 AM

Hi again TMe.
I don't know about the way the police and prisons work in India, but the USA has a sort of vigilante system.
If someone is in jail, there are "bail bond agents" who will pay to get them out of jail - in exchange for the rights to the prisoner's house, car, property etc.
If the prisoner then runs away (does not return to court when they should), there are "bounty hunters" who go and chase them to bring them back for a share of the property.

There is no such system in the UK - the police are the ones expected to bring the prisoner to court.

So - this Valenzuela has his phone number in neon lights on the roof - where it can be seen by 'high-powered' criminals who will call him and say "Come and get me out of prison."

"Springing the finest crooks since 1965"!

TMe
Posted: Wednesday, April 4, 2018 10:39:28 AM

Thanks DragO sir, I get it now.

I am a layman.