The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

"Did You Know?" Series #1 Options
hedy mmm
Posted: Saturday, March 3, 2018 1:58:16 PM

Neurons: 521,622
Dear Fellow Learners:

I learned this week that a friend's husband, who's quite elderly and almost totally blind, just started seeing an acupuncturist for his malady...

Out of curiosity I naturally researched it, I was a bit surprised. As a big proponent of Acupuncture, curing blindness seemed farfetched, so I wanted to share this very interesting info...thus, my "Did You Know? Series #1"...(AKA "A 'Feel Good' Miracle Story", but be rest assured, it was not something I 'hastily pulled out of somewhere')...
hedy

Can Acupuncture Cure Blindness?

Acupuncture, as the traditional Chinese medical treatment of human diseases, does prove somewhat useful in ophthalmology, that is to say, blindness, to some extent, can be cured or at least relieved, by the employment of acupuncture. If the eyeballs of the blind are intact, neurogenic blindness can be relieved by the use of acupuncture.

When it comes to retinitis pigmentosa, or blindness from optic nerve pathology, acupuncture can prove helpful in its treatment where other medical treatment fail.

Instead of inserting the acupuncture needles into the eyeballs, they are applied in the acupuncture points on the arms or legs by those acupuncture masters, since the working philosophy of acupuncture is that the human body is closely interconnected by twelve definite and fixed channels which all have close relationship with the organs of the body.

Medical tests have already affirmed the role of acupuncture in vision health. Maybe someday, the wish that blindness can be cured by acupuncture can be realized.

"God graced us with today....don't waste it." hedy
lauralee1
Posted: Saturday, March 3, 2018 7:40:07 PM

Neurons: 87
Never heard of it before. I don't know much about acupuncture, so it's a big surprise for me that it could be so effective. And it's great, it gives a hope to lots of people. I know not so much people who haven't any problems with eyesight.
TMe
Posted: Sunday, March 4, 2018 2:19:03 AM

Neurons: 4,943
Good research hedy mmm.

But I am of the view the cure will depend much on the reasons of blindness. Retinitis pigmentosa, opaqueness of the lens and certain acquired diseases respond well to acupuncture, I am doubtful about born-blindness.

I am a layman.
hedy mmm
Posted: Sunday, March 4, 2018 8:45:06 AM

Yes, I agree TMe, and the second paragraph indicates it. My friend who is getting acupuncture was diagnosed with Retinitis pigmentosa.

I have 2 close friends that are totally blind. Kitty, from birth and has glass eyes, she's 82 and in her youth taught in the blind school in NYC...and Audrey who is 45, is legally blind from birth, she can only see a pin prick size..she is a very successful musician, she has a music school and plays piano for audiences in NYC...you can't keep these women down!

Thank you for your response.

hedy

hedy mmm
Posted: Sunday, March 4, 2018 8:45:07 AM

Yes, I agree TMe, and the second paragraph indicates it. My friend who is getting acupuncture was diagnosed with Retinitis pigmentosa.

I have 2 close friends that are totally blind. Kitty, from birth and has glass eyes, she's 82 and in her youth taught in the blind school in NYC...and Audrey who is 45, is legally blind from birth, she can only see a pin prick size..she is a very successful musician, she has a music school and plays piano for audiences in NYC...you can't keep these women down!

Thank you for your response.

hedy

TMe
Posted: Thursday, March 8, 2018 12:44:05 PM

Neurons: 4,943
hedy mmm, please tell me what do mean by 'glass eyes'( artificial glass eyes?) and 'legally blind'.

I am a layman.
hedy mmm
Posted: Thursday, March 8, 2018 2:34:15 PM

Glady, here are answers to your questions, TMe...

What does it mean to be legally blind? thus, my friend Audrey
Legal blindness is a level of vision loss that has been legally defined to determine eligibility for benefits. In the United States, this refers to a medically diagnosed central visual acuity of 20/200 or less in the better eye with the best possible correction, and/or a visual field of 20 degrees or less.

What is a Glass Eye? thus, my friend Kitty
The prosthesis fits over an orbital implant and under the eyelids. Though often referred to as a glass eye, the ocular prosthesis roughly takes the shape of a convex shell and is made of medical grade plastic acrylic. A few ocular prostheses today are made of cryolite glass.
The artificial eye should be cleaned at least once a day. Best is to place it in its plastic container with lukewarm water. To remove persistent contamination, place the glass eye in water which contains one teaspoon of salt per litre for about 10 minutes. Afterwards, wash your prosthesis thoroughly with clear water.

It's very interesting, you can google and see the process of ocular prosthesis...truthfully, it makes me nervous when I'm around my friend Kitty, thank God she can't see me NOT looking at her directly!! As far as knowing this subject, it's because I am interested in knowing about my friends...it makes me appreciate them more...I hear from these 2 particular friends about every other week...just to say, "Hey Hedy, miss you, how you doin'!"
hedy

Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2018 12:34:22 PM

Neurons: 74,116
Thanks hedy...

Good elucidation.Applause Applause Applause

Me Gathering Pebbles at The Seashore.-Aj