The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

And that's why don't like these things, whatever is their name Options
coag
Posted: Wednesday, February 28, 2018 2:12:23 PM

Neurons: 5,640
I read this CNN headline, today: Jared Kushner's fall from Secretary of Everything to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The headline fails a fundamental criterion in communication, and that's clarity. I had to search the Internet to find out what the headline means. According to the urban dictionary, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ means: a shrug, I don't know, I don't care.

I didn't read the article. If the author didn't bother to express his (basic) ideas clearly, the article is probably not worth reading.
Wilmar (USA)
Posted: Wednesday, February 28, 2018 4:31:12 PM

Neurons: 444,444
It's CNN = not worth reading. So, you're correct.
NKM
Posted: Wednesday, February 28, 2018 5:19:11 PM

Neurons: 265,500
That seems to fit CNN's reputation, and seems to justify my unwavering decision to avoid watching CNN.

progpen
Posted: Wednesday, February 28, 2018 10:52:03 PM

Neurons: 290,006
Traditional news organizations are trying to be "hip" and "cool" by using internet jargon, which apparently includes emoticons. Sad thing is emoticons are old school, emojis are more acceptable to those who live on the internet.

The title of this opinion piece never should have made it past the first round of edits.

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
Epiphileon
Posted: Thursday, March 1, 2018 3:46:27 AM

Neurons: 81,149
Hello Coag, the really sad thing is that due to the political biases displayed by some of the major news outlets in the U.S., whatever merit there may be to a story is being dismissed by people according to their personal political bias.

The best course of action is to determine what are the facts, stripped of the editorial spin of any network people should ask, "What actually happened?" then employ critical thinking to draw their own conclusions. Unfortunately critical thinking takes cognitive effort, and from what I've seen lately the majority of people are either not equipped to employ this skill, have become too mentally lazy to employ it, or their mentalities have already been so manipulated by the spin masters of either the right or the left, that they are incapable of rational analysis.

Much of the outraged commentary you hear these days from people is nothing more than the bleating of sheep, following their chosen political shepherds with not a millivolt of truly rational analysis.

Question authority. How do you know, that you know, what you know?