The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Happy Valentine Options
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 5:30:26 AM

Neurons: 376,273
Here it's called ystävänpäivä, Friend's Day.

So:

Hyvää ystävänpäivää kaikille ystävilleni TFD:ssä! (Happy Valentine to all my friends in TFD!)

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
Hope123
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 6:26:04 AM

Neurons: 44,392
Thank you, JJ!

Happy Valentine's Day to you too and to Freedelfians.

(It's a personal anniversary for me and my best friend too - 56 years ago.)

Eeyore has good friends.

A man must be excessively stupid, as well as uncharitable, who believes there is no virtue but on his own side. Addison
progpen
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 9:06:02 AM

Neurons: 253,613
My wife and I are both sporting bright red noses from our yearly cold, but we will spend a nice romantic evening together as we order Chinese for delivery and binge watch the Murdoch Mysteries.

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
Wilmar (USA)
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 11:08:11 AM

Neurons: 327,495
Oh my, I wouldn't say Eeyore is clinically depressed. He just needs a hug, and a kind word!
Hope123
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 3:04:02 PM

Neurons: 44,392
Get well, Proggy. At least you don't have to worry about giving it to each other as you've probably already done that. 😀

Murdoch! I heard our show was popular in the States and maybe further afield. I thought they gave it a different title in the US? Something about detective. Maybe they decided to go with the real title now?

You must have recorded, bought them, or got them from the library. All of our favourite programs are not on during the Olympics.

A man must be excessively stupid, as well as uncharitable, who believes there is no virtue but on his own side. Addison
progpen
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 3:12:49 PM

Neurons: 253,613
Hope123 wrote:
Get well, Proggy. At least you don't have to worry about giving it to each other as you've probably already done that. 😀

Murdoch! I heard our show was popular in the States and maybe further afield. I thought they gave it a different title in the US? Something about detective. Maybe they decided to go with the real title now?

You must have recorded, bought them, or got them from the library. All of our favourite programs are not on during the Olympics.

My wife and I have been Murdoch fans for years and I wasn't even aware there was a different name. We watch it on Netflix, Amazon or Acorn.

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
Ravindra
Posted: Thursday, February 15, 2018 2:10:58 AM

Neurons: 47,070
Please accept my Greetings. I wish you all a whale of a time.

Love is our true destiny. We do not find the meaning of life by ourselves alone - we find it with another.
Thomas Merton

Ravindra
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Thursday, February 15, 2018 4:35:51 AM

Neurons: 376,273
Murdoch is very popular here, too.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
almo 1
Posted: Thursday, February 15, 2018 4:41:04 AM

Neurons: 5,715

http://www.history.com/topics/valentines-day/history-of-valentines-day

The Legend of St. Valentine

The history of Valentine’s Day–and the story of its patron saint–is shrouded in mystery. We do know that February has long been celebrated as a month of romance, and that St. Valentine’s Day, as we know it today, contains vestiges of both Christian and ancient Roman tradition. But who was Saint Valentine, and how did he become associated with this ancient rite?

Typical Valentine’s Day Greetings

In addition to the United States, Valentine’s Day is celebrated in Canada, Mexico, the United Kingdom, France and Australia. In Great Britain, Valentine’s Day began to be popularly celebrated around the 17th century. By the middle of the 18th, it was common for friends and lovers of all social classes to exchange small tokens of affection or handwritten notes, and by 1900 printed cards began to replace written letters due to improvements in printing technology. Ready-made cards were an easy way for people to express their emotions in a time when direct expression of one’s feelings was discouraged. Cheaper postage rates also contributed to an increase in the popularity of sending Valentine’s Day greetings.

Americans probably began exchanging hand-made valentines in the early 1700s. In the 1840s, Esther A. Howland began selling the first mass-produced valentines in America. Howland, known as the “Mother of the Valentine,” made elaborate creations with real lace, ribbons and colorful pictures known as “scrap.” Today, according to the Greeting Card Association, an estimated 1 billion Valentine’s Day cards are sent each year, making Valentine’s Day the second largest card-sending holiday of the year. (An estimated 2.6 billion cards are sent for Christmas.) Women purchase approximately 85 percent of all valentines.