The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

deecthetation Options
Sanmayce
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2018 10:19:07 PM

Neurons: 1,963
While watching the funny "Accident Man" movie spotted an unfinished business, namely, uncoined word for "throwing someone from the balcony".

The scene where the exchange happens:

- Do you know the meaning of "defenestration"?
-No.
MIKE: Defenestration: The act of throwing someone out of a window. It's that one up there.
- Now, I couldn't believe there was an actual word for it.
- Look it up in the Oxford English Dictionary if you don't believe me.
- How'd you get on?
- Defenestrated.
- Defenestrated. That's great. But defenestration is the act of... shoving somebody out a window, not tipping them off a balcony. Didn't do your fucking homework, did you?

The word comes from the New Latin de- (out of or away from) and fenestra (window or opening).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defenestration

Seeing that one variant for balcony is:
http://www.latin-dictionary.net/definition/18689/ectheta-ecthetae

We have de+ectheta+tion, deecthetation, so having done the homework, the answer to "How'd you get on?" is 'deecthetationed'.

He learns not to learn and reverts to what all men pass by.
NKM
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2018 11:43:48 PM

Neurons: 207,389
Wouldn't it be "deecthetated"?

IMcRout
Posted: Monday, February 12, 2018 4:05:09 AM

Neurons: 518,486
As ectheta reminds me more of its Greek origin, I'd suggested maenianum for balcony, leading us to demaenianated, a much better solution, in my eyes. Whistle

I totally take back all those times I didn't want to nap when I was younger. (Anon)
Sanmayce
Posted: Monday, February 12, 2018 5:54:52 AM

NKM wrote:
Wouldn't it be "deecthetated"?

de+ectheta+ted

Thanks, exactly, my bad, as the middleman in the movie (quite a character for a weasel) says - erroneous I am (Latin in use, instead of British 'wrong').

Also we have, wonder what of these two sounds more ... melodic.
de+ecthetae+ted

> As ectheta reminds me more of its Greek origin, I'd suggested maenianum for balcony, leading us to demaenianated, a much better solution, in my eyes. Whistle

Applause Thought of this one, also of a 'podium' derivative, thanks, love those e/a vowels in a string. Likey-likey, but the sequence 'dii+etchi+teytiid'is also very ringy, kinda 'cheetah'+'decapitated', heh-heh.
Guess, it is a nice addition to the only word ending in 'anated' here in TFD:
Words ending with anated:
- emanated

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/e/anated

Who knows whether there is a specific/dedicated Latin word for 'balcone/balcony'? Speaking of 'ectheta', my dummy guess/association (and first one) was of 'etching', as if in an engraving, that is, a part of the main body/building being bitten. Looking into 'etch' etymology, maybe so, who knows?!

Sanmayce
Posted: Monday, February 12, 2018 10:26:16 AM

Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1
Posted: Monday, February 12, 2018 11:45:11 AM

Neurons: 488,183
Sanmayce wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defenestration

This word is just a figment, a misconception only good for talking and joking about. And there's no need for another such one.

Unlike it the word fenestration is useful:

აბა ყვავებს ვინ დაიჭერს, კარგო? გალიაში ბულბულები ზიან.
IMcRout
Posted: Monday, February 12, 2018 12:18:01 PM

Neurons: 518,486
Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1 commented on 'defenestration',
Quote:
This word is just a figment, a misconception only good for talking and joking about.

Beg leave to differ. It is a perfectly acceptable noun. Please check the Wikipedia article on the Defenestrations of Prague.

As to remove from a podium, I believe that the above (almost) mentioned 'exethra' might lead us to exexethrate;
'pódion' may be turned into dispodionate.
A rather rude solution, I find, might be borrowed from our colloquial American friends, some of whom like to employ the verb 'unass', used both transitively and intransitively.

Edited as either TFD or Firefox refuse to publish my Wiki-link.

I totally take back all those times I didn't want to nap when I was younger. (Anon)
Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1
Posted: Monday, February 12, 2018 12:23:23 PM

IMcRout wrote:
Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1 commented on 'defenestration',
Quote:
This word is just a figment, a misconception only good for talking and joking about.

Beg leave to differ. It is a perfectly acceptable noun. Please check the Wikipedia article on the Defenestrations of Prague.

I know of those defenestrations:

And they do not make the word any more useful. This is a bastard word.

Romany
Posted: Monday, February 12, 2018 12:35:55 PM

Neurons: 42,268

I didn't see the comment "This word is just a figment, a misconception only good for talking and joking about." Had I done so, however, my reaction would be the same as yours.

It may not be a word which falls from the tongue as often as "threw" or "pushed" but, as I keep saying, it is *the* word for throwing or pushing someone 'out of a window' and is most certainly used when this singular action takes place.

I do remember, however, that in my first semester at Drama School one of the stage directions in a play we were doing concerned the defenestration of a woman in a wheelchair...and I noticed a few people gathered round someone who had a dictionary while they surreptitiously looked it up to see exactly what they were meant to do in that scene!

Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1
Posted: Monday, February 12, 2018 12:59:42 PM

Romany wrote:
It may not be a word which falls from the tongue as often as "threw" or "pushed" but, as I keep saying, it is *the* word for throwing or pushing someone 'out of a window' and is most certainly used when this singular action takes place.

As if they overheard what I was saying they just gave me it in the next game:

:)

thar
Posted: Monday, February 12, 2018 1:55:44 PM

Neurons: 66,338
What always makes me curious about the Defenestration of Prague is how they got anyone through the windows. This was Mediaeval -Prague and elsewhere = narrow windows. And they were burghers, as well, weren't they? Historical!y well-fed and of the rotund persuasion?
I just can't take it seriously as a tragedy when the image it brings into my head is of trying to squeeze large bodies through small gaps.

Sanmayce
Posted: Monday, February 12, 2018 2:20:01 PM

My sore eyes betrayed me once more, again did stupid mistake in transcribing wrongly 'ectheta', who can transcribe it for me, how do we read 'de+ectheta+ted'?

@Харбин
Speaking of this beautiful fully fledged word, you are so wrong, rethink it man.
Don't know what makes you say that some word is a bastard, such disposition scares me.
AFAIU, bastardizations are part of the playfulness that I so much treasure. As for the pleads of uncoined yet words prefixed with de-/dis-/dys- (inhere the 'defenestrate') after advent of Artificial Intelligence you will be amazed how many not merely unheard-of but unthought-of coinages will flood the language.
Харбин, I want to understand what is your opinion on the need for a word describing those draggings/pushings of Ukrainian "senators", don't you think that such regular (not that irregular would change the need) events ought to have their dedicated wording?

@IMcRout
Thanks for the hints, but couldn't get the sequence of deriving. For hours on end I used to look up Japanese dictionaries - these appreciative people have so many words without analogue. Just take Zen, Sumo and their respective ... vocabulary - AMAZING.

oshidashi
1. (sumo) a kimarite in which the attacker pushes his opponent out of the ring, maintaining hand contact at all times

Wiktionary is really good, have enlisted all of the 82 techniques that may be used to win a match:
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/kimarite

Wonder how the "carrying" technique is called, as in the picture above (the bloke with flowers), or as Yokozuna carrying Sly:

Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1
Posted: Monday, February 12, 2018 2:28:54 PM

Sanmayce wrote:
Харбин, I want to understand what is your opinion on the need for a word describing those draggings/pushings of Ukrainian "senators"

I'll refrain from discussing this state and its affairs.