The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

difference between rigor and chills Options
frasha4ever
Posted: Tuesday, August 9, 2011 6:04:35 AM

Neurons: 208
i know there is a difference between them, like i have been told by our teaching profs! but i keep on forgetting it or mixing up the answer.
i remember rigor is more severe than chills and i think the difference is that a rigor cannot be stopped when a person holds the patient still while chills is involuntary muscle movement that can be stopped by a person who holds the person or shivering body still...

who knows if the above is right?Think

appreciate your help =)
Ray41
Posted: Tuesday, August 9, 2011 6:44:02 AM

Neurons: 45,980
Rigors
A rigor is an episode of shaking or exaggerated shivering which can occur with a high fever.
It is an extreme reflex response which occurs for a variety of reasons.
It should not be ignored, as it is often a marker for significant and sometimes serious infections (most often bacterial). It is important to recognise the patients description of a rigor, as the episode is unlikely to be witnessed outside hospital, and to be aware of the possible significance of this important symptom..
Pathophysiology1
Shivering is a reflex which occurs when someone feels cold and, physiologically, it serves to raise body temperature. The trigger point at which this reflex occurs is set in the anterior hypothalamus. This has been likened to an internal thermostat.1 With infection or inflammation, pyrogens (probably cytokines and prostaglandins) 'reset' the trigger temperature so that the body feels cold and shaking occurs to raise temperature to the new hypothalamic 'temperature point'. The body's attempts to raise temperature are accompanied by other familiar reflex responses including contraction of erector pilae muscles ('goose bumps') and peripheral vasoconstriction. Peripheral vasoconstriction causes cold extremities and pallor. Most of the work done on various pyrogens responsible for mediating this response has been done on animals.

Chills
Chills refers to feeling cold after an exposure to a cold environment. The word can also refer to an episode of shivering, accompanied by paleness and feeling cold.

Considerations
"Goose bumps" are associated with a feeling of chilliness but are not necessarily associated with chills or fevers. Goose bumps raise the hairs on the body to form a layer of insulation.

Chills may occur at the beginning of an infection and are usually associated with a fever. Chills are caused by rapid muscle contraction and relaxation, and are the body's way of generating heat when it feels that it is cold. Chills often predict the coming of a fever, or an increase in the body's core temperature.

Chills may also represent a very significant and consistent finding in certain diseases such as malaria.

Chills are common in young children. Children tend, in general, to develop higher fevers than adults. Even minor illness may produce high fevers in young children.

Infants tend not to develop obvious chills, but any fever in an infant 6 months or younger should be reported to a health care provider. Fevers in infants 6 months to 1 year should also be reported unless the parent is absolutely certain of its cause.

Causes
•Exposure to a cold environment
•Viral and bacterial infections ◦Bacterial gastroenteritis
◦Colds
◦Infectious mononucleosis
◦Influenza
◦Meningitis
◦Pneumonia
◦Strep throat
◦Viral gastroenteritis
◦Urinary tract infections such as pyelonephritis
Home Care
Fever (which can accompany chills) is the body's natural response to a variety of conditions, such as infection. If the fever is mild (102 degrees Fahrenheit or less) with no side effects, no professional treatment is required. Drink lots of fluids and get plenty of rest.
................Reference; Medical Encyclopedia
Off course, rigor mortis is the stiffening of the body following death and is definitely the more severe,Anxious . This is possibly the best way to remember which is the more severe between 'rigors' and 'chills'Think

While I live I grow.
aerie1
Posted: Tuesday, August 9, 2011 3:56:33 PM

Neurons: 36
I know from experience that women in labor often shiver & is usually considered a normal effect of labor/child birth. I didn't perceive them to be temperature related but perhaps my brain did. I wasn't able to control them (they didn't last long)... A side effect of high oxytocin levels? An extreme stress reaction perhaps?

I'm unsure where that falls on the side of rigor - I relate rigor with seizures usually. Chills from being a bit 'chilly' feel very different than chills related to fever. I'm dabbling in semantics b/c it's probably just a difference in medical language in our differing countries. But, interesting none the less.

Also, consider that 'goose bumps' are also a neurological reaction to strong emotions or feelings. Many of our autonomic responses are primitive - as in responses/reactions that alerted us to danger & kept us alive millions of years ago when we were less sentient. They're hard-wired pathways even though our brains no longer require their services. So ends my uninvited lecture on neurology Silenced

Evolution is fascinating & amazing. Our central nervous system is very effective in doing what it's supposed to do.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Tuesday, August 9, 2011 6:18:33 PM

Neurons: 420,088
Zombies got rigors without being in state of rigor mortis and cause chills on living attendants.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
jmacann
Posted: Tuesday, August 9, 2011 6:49:41 PM

Neurons: 3,887
Are responses to distinct health conditions whose etiology is diverse.
IMcRout
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2011 3:34:55 AM

Neurons: 563,379
I'm about to have a shivering fit.

I totally take back all those times I didn't want to nap when I was younger. (Anon)