The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

A promise of forebearance Options
Tomahawk71
Posted: Friday, February 02, 2018 6:23:54 AM

Neurons: 123,003
Hi all,

What does "a promise of forebearance" in the following text, please?

QUOTE:

When an apology was delivered by a CEO who looked sad, the company's stock price rose after the apology, the researchers found. "A good apology can build investor confidence," the study authors wrote, especially in the long run.

In a follow-up experiment, Drs. ten Brinke and Adams hired an actor to portray an airline CEO apologizing for a computer malfunction that resulted in the cancellation of 140 flights, leaving thousands of passengers stranded. The fictional apology contained all the verbal elements of a complete apology, as determined by previous research (an explicit "I'm sorry," an offer of repair, an explanation, taking responsibility and a promise of forbearance).

Test subjects watched the fictional CEO apologize, either happily, sadly or neutrally. Study participants rated the sad CEO as more sincere, and were more likely to want to reconcile with him, according to the report. In contrast, when the actor delivered the apology with a smile on his face, study participants were less likely to trust him, and the apology seemed to even intensify their negative feelings about the situation.
thar
Posted: Friday, February 02, 2018 6:33:15 AM

Neurons: 66,268
I don't know!

It is the people who they are apologising to who have to show forbearance!

In financial terms it means not requiring payment yet - holding back demands for payment.
So here it means 'making reparations' I guess.

But this is talking about personal interactions - that meaning g really seems out if place here. In the common meaning of human interaction, it is the delayed customers who need to show forbearance by not getting angry with the service staff!

Tomahawk71
Posted: Friday, February 02, 2018 7:27:19 AM

Neurons: 123,003
thar wrote:
I don't know!

It is the people who they are apologising to who have to show forbearance!

In financial terms it means not requiring payment yet - holding back demands for payment.
So here it means 'making reparations' I guess.

But this is talking about personal interactions - that meaning g really seems out if place here. In the common meaning of human interaction, it is the delayed customers who need to show forbearance by not getting angry with the service staff!

Could it be "We will not make the same mistake again" promise?
thar
Posted: Friday, February 02, 2018 9:08:15 AM

Neurons: 66,268
Hmmm - sounds a bit odd. Forbearance is putting g up with something, showing restraint.
That would suggest they want to delay flights but promise to restrain themselves from doing so!

Quote:
for·bear 1 (fôr-bâr′)
v. for·bore (-bôr′), for·borne (-bôrn′), for·bear·ing, for·bears
v.intr.
1. To keep oneself from doing something; hold back; refrain: forbear from making a comment.
2. To be tolerant or patient in the face of provocation.
v.tr.
1. To refrain from; resist: forbore criticizing them.
2. To restrain oneself so as not (to do something): "He saw that she was preoccupied, and forbore to question her" (Thomas Hardy).