The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

FYI - Polar Bears - New Study and It's Not Good News Options
Hope123
Posted: Thursday, February 1, 2018 11:37:23 PM

Neurons: 46,386
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/feb/01/polar-bears-climate-change

FYI thread - not much to say. Just understand what's actually happening.

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning. - Bill Watterson
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 5:14:33 AM

Neurons: 405,402
The graphic claims there are over 1 500 polar bears in Gulf of Bothnia?

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
will
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 7:43:45 AM

Neurons: 4,453
They should switch to eating fish... they should be easy enough to catch in open water. Think

Hope123
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 8:11:41 AM

Will,

"On occasion, polar bears kill beluga whales and young walruses. When other food is unavailable, polar bears will eat just about any animal they can get, including reindeer, small rodents, seabirds, waterfowl, fish, eggs, vegetation (including kelp), berries, and human garbage."

https://seaworld.org/animal-info/animal-infobooks/polar-bears/diet-and-eating-habits

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning. - Bill Watterson
Hope123
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 8:17:56 AM

JJ,

Apparently the term polar bear is a bit of a misnomer. "Today the animal is found in areas around the Arctic Ocean, but historically the bear’s range was far more southerly. In Europe they were found as far south as Bergen (Norway) and the Gulf of Bothnia, which is an arm of the Baltic Sea."

From "Natural History".

Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Saturday, February 3, 2018 8:00:48 AM

Neurons: 405,402
I know that, Hope. There have been mammoths here few thousand years ago. But the IUCN graph tells us there are 1 500 polar bears on the shores of Finland, and the population is stabile ;-)

We have couple of polar bears in zoos.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
FounDit
Posted: Saturday, February 3, 2018 11:16:41 AM

Neurons: 49,621
JJ,

I direct your attention to the last line in the article:

"• A graphic on this article was amended on 2 February 2018 to remove a mistaken reference to 1,592 polar bears in the Gulf of Bothnia."

So this means that what they first said in the graph was wrong -- er, wait a minute. Global Warming scientists are never wrong, so someone messed up there and that statement should be removed. They studied 9 bears in one area so obviously that represents the whole of the planet. So those polar bears are no doubt there in Finland, they just can't be seen because they blend in so well...(the devil made me do it!...Whistle )

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
Hope123
Posted: Saturday, February 3, 2018 11:25:53 AM

Thanks, JJ. It was as you said when I read it first but it didn't twig with me. They have made the correction since then. Oliver Millman, New York, the writer, made a mistake the first time on the graphics, perhaps looking at a previous time frame? The article was picked up by The Guardian. It doesn't say who found the error in graphics but Editors of reputable and responsible media do try to find and admit all mistakes.

I'm pretty good at reading comprehension and proof reading but not so good at writing and proof reading my own work, so I give them a break on an error found here and there. Nobody's perfect.

I did reread the article and found this:

• A graphic on this article was amended on 2 February 2018 to remove a mistaken reference to 1,592 polar bears in the Gulf of Bothnia.

Hope123
Posted: Saturday, February 3, 2018 11:48:29 AM

JJ, what I found interesting was the body chemistry and metabolism they found out about the bears over a two year period that would be extrapolated to the biology of all polar bears. After all, they are all of the same species.

"Previously, polar bears were thought to expend relatively little energy during days where they often wait for hours beside holes in the ice, which seals emerge from in order to breathe. But the researchers found that they actually have an average metabolism 50% higher than prior estimates.

With previous studies showing recent drops in polar bear numbers, survival rates and body condition, scientists said the new research suggests the species is facing an even worse predicament than was feared.

The Arctic is warming twice as rapidly as the global average, diminishing the sea ice that polar bears rely upon for food and forcing many to embark from water on to land where they desperately forage for goose eggs or rubbish from bins in far-flung towns."

Since the brown bear is a cousin, I wonder if we have been assuming the hibernation story incorrectly for them too. I don't know if they have done any research on them.

Do you have brown bears or any kind of bears there in nature?

Edited:
Here are some interesting facts about the kinds of bears in Canada.

https://www.canadiangeographic.ca/article/11-amazing-facts-about-canadas-bear-species

Polar bear fur on bears in captivity can actually be green!

This article tells more about the world population of the various kinds of bears and how they are faring on the threatened species lists.

http://bearwithus.org/8-bears-of-the-world/