The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

plumper Options
vkhu
Posted: Thursday, February 1, 2018 10:47:39 AM

Neurons: 6,028
Quote:
The two women plodded on through the wet world, in silence, while great drops splashed like explosions in the wood. Ben they came to the park, Connie strode ahead, and Mrs Bolton panted a little. She was getting plumper.

The excerpt comes from here: https://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/l/lawrence/dh/l41l/chapter16.html

These 2 were just walking in the forest, how can one of them (I'm not sure who) become fatter all of a sudden?
FROSTY X RIME
Posted: Thursday, February 1, 2018 11:04:51 AM

Neurons: 10,809
I might be wrong but it seems to me it may mean "blunt".
She started talking her heart out, her frustration and anger before then, she must have been concealing her feelings and her knowledge.

plump has a meaning of blunt and direct into the bargain as an adjective

What should be shall be-The fellowship of the ring-
Romany
Posted: Thursday, February 1, 2018 11:14:42 AM

Neurons: 42,896

It was not the done thing at that time to discuss women's bodily functions - including childbearing. Women tightened up their corsets to disguise their condition when in public; and simply retired from society once they could no longer disguise that they were pregnant. One simply hinted that So & So was "putting on a little weight" or becoming "quite plump". The word "pregnant" was taboo.

One does get a little short of breath sometimes as a pregnancy progresses; and if tightly corseted as well it's a wonder any babies ever got born!. (Actually infant mortality and the death of women in childbirth reached a very high point during this period.)

So, rather than meaning she was starting to put on weight, it's more likely (if it fits in the story) that she was pregnant.
vkhu
Posted: Thursday, February 1, 2018 11:34:22 AM

@FROSTY: Though she did lash out at her companion in the next paragraph, at that specific point in time, she wasn't saying anything. The only thing that changed was her speed.

@Romany: That's an interesting interpretation. But still, how could she possibly gain any noticeably weight in just 1 afternoon, even if she were at this point pregnant?
almo 1
Posted: Thursday, February 1, 2018 12:06:59 PM

Neurons: 5,715

<< The two women plodded on through the wet world, in silence, while great drops splashed like explosions in the wood. When they came to the park, Connie strode ahead, and Mrs Bolton panted a little. She was getting plumper. >>

Mrs Bolton is a nurse and caretaker of Connie's husband
so she might be fortyish or fiftyish and getting fat -
which is why she panted.

I simply think that way.

vkhu
Posted: Thursday, February 1, 2018 12:27:45 PM

Even if she's getting fat, it's impossible for a human being to get fatter within minutes of walking through the forest. And this story has no fantasy element, last I checked.
taurine
Posted: Thursday, February 1, 2018 12:45:36 PM

Neurons: 67,785
What about soaking with water? During this time in history women were wearing something what looked like a balloon.

J'ai perdu mes amis en Afrique durant la dernière semaine de 2017
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Thursday, February 1, 2018 2:42:43 PM

Neurons: 164,315
The sentence did not say that she put on weight just that afternoon.

She was getting plumper. It's a general statement - a continuous situation in progress.
It doesn't say "Suddenly she got plumper."

She was getting fatter, as Almo says. It would have been happening for months/years

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
mactoria
Posted: Thursday, February 1, 2018 4:07:15 PM

Neurons: 1,187,261
Agree with DragOnspeaker. Other posters really went rather far out in trying to interpret a pretty common statement about a person who is (somewhat) overweight and thus struggles to breath when they exercise a bit. The woman was panting because she was chubby/overweight; a person pants (or breathes heavily) when they exert themselves. She didn't grow heavier while walking; she was heavy to begin with; very simple for a regular English speaker.
Romany
Posted: Thursday, February 1, 2018 4:35:05 PM

Yes. I was puzzled too at why people thought she had suddenly taken a couple of steps and put on weight?

It follows on from the previous sentence: - "Connie strode ahead, and Mrs Bolton panted a little. She was getting plumper.." It explains *why* Connie strode ahead but Mrs.Bolton lagged behind a little, panting.She was either regularly over-indulging at the dinner table, or she was pregnant.
NKM
Posted: Thursday, February 1, 2018 5:53:46 PM

Neurons: 227,346
One does not "get plumper" in a matter of minutes, but shortness of breath (as a side effect of having gained some weight) may become noticeable during a brief period of unaccustomed exertion.

FROSTY X RIME
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 6:27:48 AM

I was going to swing to alm's suggestion just like others but I put the sentence into Korean and I had to abandon it because as vku had reasoned it, it made no sense-very bad composition.
If it had been "she was plump", or "she had been getting plumper", it would be different but unfortunately it is not.
If it is meant to mean as almo's suggestion, I dare conclude the author constructed the sentence wrong.

Possibly my approach to the matter may be wrong. The English language may not quite work like Korean. Whistle

NKM
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 10:48:43 PM

Surely English does not work quite the same as any other language.

FROSTY X RIME
Posted: Saturday, February 3, 2018 5:20:46 PM

I was wrong. I analysed the sentences from my memory and I saw the sentences again now and realised that my memory had been wrong. I had thought the problem sentence was “she got plumper.”

Brick wall

Romany
Posted: Saturday, February 3, 2018 5:33:28 PM

NK - Frosty's last sentence is being used exactly as the sentence I used in another thread which offended you.

It's a very common way of expressing oneself in BE. It helped that Frosty used a "sarcasm" icon but, even without it, what is being said is tongue-in-cheek/not-serious/used in jest/turned around by the conditional.

In BE "The English language may not quite work like Korean" is understood as an admission that English is not at all like Korean - Frosty is admitting the way he arrived at the conclusion *might not have been the best way to go about it". He knows, everyone know, that Korean is not a bit like any other language. Working upon that knowledge the 'may not quite" is a bit of a blague, a joke.

In the sentence I wrote: "You may not have been intimate with too many men...." and this operates on the fact that I know - and its clear from things you have said - that you are NOT intimate with men.... because you are heterosexual.

I'm really sorry that you took such offence at my sentence; it honestly did not occur to me for a moment that you would take it seriously or not understand. But, seeing your comment above to Frosty, the penny finally dropped! So I took this opportunity to say this on the public forum in case other AE speakers were also confused by this aspect of BE.

Once again, my apologies for upsetting you.
Rom.

*See? I did that unthinkingly but its the same pattern: it WASN'T the best. I could have said "It's a bad idea"...but he knows that, and we know that, so I wouldn't rub it in by saying that. In fact, in BE, that would be considered rude or at least ill-mannered. Different folks/different strokes, I guess.

I don't know if I've clarified this - but to tell the truth, I've never had to explain it before. And, doing so, I can see how it might confuse someone to whom these patterns are not familiar.
NKM
Posted: Saturday, February 3, 2018 9:36:55 PM

Hi, Romany -

As I've already explained by way of a PM addressed to you, I wasn't really offended by your choice of words in that post. I know you well enough to know that you didn't mean to suggest anything untoward. My terse response was intended only to allow for the possibility that other members might mistake your literal phrasing for the euphemism that those words commonly represent in American English.

On the other hand, I did take Frosty's sentence literally (ignoring the Whistle icon), and decided to answer it as if I had taken it seriously. (I guess I should have added an icon, too.)

My thanks to Frosty for providing the opportunity for us to clarify the situation in full view of our fellow members!

FROSTY X RIME
Posted: Tuesday, February 6, 2018 12:23:31 PM

middle-age spread... nobody know what it is like until they get it. Whistle

Dear NKM
thanks for your acknowledgement. I thought I should write a line or two to clear the false screen I created before it would do some damage.