The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Fact check of the US State of the Union speech Options
progpen
Posted: Wednesday, January 31, 2018 9:43:13 AM

Neurons: 313,023
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/jan/30/state-of-the-union-fact-check-trumps-address-analyzed
https://www.npr.org/2018/01/30/580378279/trumps-state-of-the-union-address-annotated
https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/trumps-state-of-the-union-18-wtf-moments-w516105

First and foremost it was an opportunity for the current occupant of the White House to sell 'naming rights' for the State of the Union Speech. On the Monday before the speech, the president's reelection campaign rolled out a gimmick to sell naming rights to the State of the Union. Donors could pay to see their names float luminously over the "Official Donald J. Trump for President livestream" of the State of the Union. The sales pitch read: "This is a movement. It's not about just one of us. It's about ALL of us. Which is why your name deserves to be displayed during Tuesday night's speech" – all for the low, low donation of $35.
https://secure.donaldjtrump.com/sotu-2018

Tonight, I call upon on all of us to set aside our differences, to seek out common ground, and to summon the unity we need to deliver for the people. This is really the key. These are the people we were elected to serve.

Despite the president’s call for unity, he has done little to bring the country or the parties together. The country is as divided as it ever has been in modern times. Polling shows about 40 percent of the country strongly disapproves of the president, and a solid percentage strongly approves of the president. Trump’s approval rating overall is the lowest of any modern president at the same time in their presidency. It is low and yet remarkably stable, because of a hard-core base, described by a rival Republican primary campaign manager at a post-election panel at Harvard as made of “titanium.” And Trump has done little to reach out beyond that base, in policy or rhetoric. In fact, by a 2-to-1 margin (61 to 32 percent), Americans say Trump has divided the country since his election, according to a recent NPR/PBS NewsHour/Marist poll.

In our drive to make Washington accountable, we have eliminated more regulations in our first year than any administration in history.

It’s true that the Trump administration has steadily tried to roll back regulations, but there is no clear way to measure his success – regulations are made through a messy process of rule-making, budgets, court cases, Congress and enforcers. Past presidents and Congress massively deregulated airliners and trains in the 1970s and 80s, and Ronald Reagan tried to use budgetary measures to neuter regulations without necessarily battling to erase them completely.

According to the Office of Management and Budget, Trump has withdrawn fewer regulations in his first year than Bill Clinton, George W Bush or Obama did during their presidencies. Earlier this month, the White House claimed that the Trump administration “withdrawn or delayed 1,579 planned regulatory actions”; according to the OMB, Clinton withdrew 1,824; Bush 2,632; and Obama 1,814.

Nor does ordering regulations gone actually erase those regulations. There is a complex review process behind regulations to make sure they fit with laws, and Trump’s attempt to repeal environmental rules, for instance, have landed him in court.

The Trump administration has, however, has worked with Congress to use an obscure 1996 law, the Congressional Review Act, to rescind more than a dozen rules enacted late in the Obama administration. The law had only been used once before.

Trump claimed victories in wars nobody knew we'd been fighting.
"We have ENDED the war on American Energy" declared Trump, adding: "We are now very proudly an exporter of energy to the world." Trump failed to note that the four-decade ban on oil exports was lifted by his predecessor, Barack Obama. Elaborating on the alleged armistice, Trump also insisted: "We have ENDED the War on BEAUTIFUL, CLEAN COAL."

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
philips daughter
Posted: Wednesday, January 31, 2018 11:41:47 AM

Neurons: 43,601
Some things Trump didn’t mention were the still to be passed budget (they have 3 days until another shut down) and the growing deficit. His speech IMO was another of his campaign and fundraising events and not about unity.
Hope123
Posted: Wednesday, January 31, 2018 12:44:22 PM

Neurons: 48,167
Joe Kennedy for president 2020? He gave an impassioned speech. Young, political upbringing, Kennedy name, would have been in Congress for 7 years and be almost 40 by then. He would appeal to the young and the older prospects have a lot of baggage. At least he's better known after the national exposure. Obama did it, and so could Kennedy.

It was chapstick that the powder people should have seen, but it did keep people fascinated. Think Why does something always happen to the responder to the president?

First time in nine years or more I have not watched the State of the Union address. I can't stomach his supercilious smirk and other mannerisms, I knew it would contain many lies and embellishments, and would be the phoniest speech ever made by a president, because he would just be reading a teleprompter and would go back to tweeting his real ideas later. A CDN paper referred to him as a "Twit- tator".

But the Republican politicians lapped it up as they are getting what they want - money distributed to wealthy.

"Beautiful clean coal". lol. With 50% emissions removed, it is encouraged where possible as better than nothing, but never beautiful and not clean. It still makes the lungs black.

The past is to be respected/acknowledged, not worshipped. It is in our future we will find our greatness. Pierre Trudeau
taurine
Posted: Wednesday, January 31, 2018 2:41:53 PM

Neurons: 72,297
Huge amount of reading you have given, progpen, to make a point on the matter.

I dare say that Mr Barack Obama was the first who made black people proud to be Americans.
This doesn't mean that it is impossible to make black people proud to be Americans when Republican Mr Donald Trump is at the helm.
I think that there are values common to the Republican President of the U.S. and the black people.
Black people do not need be put on the shelf of Democrats just because of Mr Donald Trump is white. He, eventually, has the same red blood in his veins.
As read from the first article inside of the link supplied by you: African American unemployment more than halved, from a 16.6% peak in April 2010 to 7.8% in January 2017. I could ask, in which sector? Many jobs have been created artificially to boost employment before the end of the presidency of Mr Barack Obama.
What was the cause of lower employment in this instance?

I understand that black people in the U.S. work hard. But there are more external threats to the American economy, for example, from China which produces cheap steel. It is not a fault of Republican government that steel industry doesn't support low paid workers in China.

My opinion has been based on alleged support for democratic policy of Mr Barack Obama from the black people.
The black people could see that, actually Republicans are going to be thrifty in the fields which are lost to other countries.
Maybe it is a time to stop making a difference based on white Republican President and black Democrat President.

The current government is still not prepared to respond to the events in Puerto Rico as it was not ready to respond to the events in the aftermath of hurricane Katrina in Louisiana in 2005. This could ask for people dedicated to the swift response to help when it is needed.
Mr President may say many words, but what is important is the response from the people responsible for the proper action needed. Regardless are they white Republicans, white Democrats, black Republicans, or black Democrats. They are all Americans.

I apologize that I stop my comments after first of your three articles.
I am of the opinion that the material given by you, progpen, is so demanding that I quit because I am not a political adviser.
You, progpen, have made me thinking about the American policy like never before.
Maybe I just stick to my coffeeDrool

J'ai perdu mes amis en Afrique durant la dernière semaine de 2017
Hope123
Posted: Wednesday, January 31, 2018 2:52:03 PM

Proggy, so how did the the American people take to the commercializing of the State of the Union address by using it as a campaign tool to raise money? This would never have been allowed in Canada whether it was for a campaign or not.

There are even rules as to when campaigning is allowed to begin before an election.

The past is to be respected/acknowledged, not worshipped. It is in our future we will find our greatness. Pierre Trudeau
Hope123
Posted: Wednesday, January 31, 2018 3:05:00 PM

Taurine wrote: Maybe it is a time to stop making a difference based on white Republican President and black Democrat President.

I agree and maybe it is time for all of us to stop making a difference based on white, black, and purple people. Trump was trying to get the black and Latino people to vote for him - that's why he mentioned color.

In this case the point was not that Obama is black or Trump is white but that the statistics show that employment levels in all arenas have been rising since before Trump took office. If he had said it continues to rise under my leadership that would have been fine. But Trump likes to take credit for everything whether he deserves it or not.

But of course he takes credit only if it makes him look good. Anything bad is always somebody else's fault.

And yes, they have cut off aid to Puerto Rico when it is still in shambles.

progpen
Posted: Wednesday, January 31, 2018 10:28:24 PM

Hope123 wrote:
Proggy, so how did the the American people take to the commercializing of the State of the Union address by using it as a campaign tool to raise money? This would never have been allowed in Canada whether it was for a campaign or not.

There are even rules as to when campaigning is allowed to begin before an election.

Just about every major news organization in the US has reported on this and it has only entrenched his base while re-enforcing what the rest of the country already knew. Howard Stern with a bad toupee in the White House and everyone is just waiting to see what the Idiot in Chief does next.

The Executive Branch of the most powerful government in the world has become prime time entertainment.

Hope123
Posted: Wednesday, January 31, 2018 11:13:59 PM

Entrenched his base?

Maybe I should change this ... Edited

I am incredulous.

Edit 2 -

I looked online - from sensible people I saw - no class, money-grubbing, commercialization, corrupting, disgraceful degradation of American institutions - these adjectives are in line with my thoughts.

But then I am not surprised - it is in character.

Oscar D. Grouch
Posted: Thursday, February 1, 2018 12:09:40 PM

Neurons: 954,919
I hope that I'm not the only one that caught this blatant lie. The donald called himself "righteous." The self-admitted "grab 'em by the pussy" lying sack of shit fake president is "righteous." This is laughable!
Romany
Posted: Thursday, February 1, 2018 12:33:41 PM

Neurons: 46,180
Yeah, but Oscar he also says he is a "stable genius" and "knows lots of words" and is "the least racist person you will ever meet" and that Africa is a country and that England has 'no-go' areas. etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

Everything that comes out of his mouth is risible: I personally would be hard-pushed to just single out one particular item from amongst all the garbage that comes out of his mouth!
Hope123
Posted: Thursday, February 1, 2018 7:29:28 PM

The fact checkers had to work overtime again today re "number of viewers of speech being the most ever". Geo W beat him twice. Obama beat him too.

The call for unity lasted exactly one day till the tweets started again berating the Dems. Even the rats know negative reinforcement doesn't work on them.

But his approval rating went up. lol. He was so "presidential" and "sincere" as he read the teleprompter and clapped for himself.

Romany
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 5:29:45 AM

For the very first time I'm now starting to get genuinely nervous about what's going on in the White House.

Because instead of just the usual rivalry between different political parties, the whole situation is starting to look more ominous. It begins to look as though the current incumbents of the White House are undermining the whole System and crafting events behind the scenes in order to actually introduce a different regime in the USA.

What's happening now bears much more similarity towards the rise of hostile takeovers by oligarchs and dictators, than the process of government in a democracy.

The whole of the last year seems like a "grooming" process: the main point of which was to accustom people to accepting that truth is value-less. Once a group can manipulate reality successfully any checks and balances disappear. Power becomes absolute.
Hope123
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 8:33:35 AM

Exactly what we're thinking, Rom. And not just in the US are they creating danger.

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2018/02/01/the-worlds-strongmen-know-donald-trump-wont-talk-about-human-rights-so-theyre-not-even-pretending-anymore.html

The Nunes memo to be released today perhaps is not just Republican vs Democrat any more. It is a struggle to retain the partial democracy the US has always had.

Only a small percentage of the world has a pure democracy now - 17% I think I saw on a map. So any attack on even partial democracies has considerable influence on the world and it seems the US is not the only democratic or partially democratic regime under attack.

philips daughter
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 9:09:40 AM

Duh 🙄
progpen
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 9:16:55 AM

When the articles were published about the US being an oligarchy, it was actually a very important turning point in the US. What had been whispered by the mainstream and shouted by the tin-foil hatters was suddenly out in the open. I feel that since then, the country has been more observant of and demonstrative against the transition to oligarchy.

philips daughter
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 9:59:43 AM

Propen, I hope you are right. I live in Texas, one of the most gerrymandered states in the south, and I don’t think it can happen. They have bought the Congress and the Presidency. They are attacking the justice department and it looks like they will make it illegal to oppose them. Illegal to demonstrate. Illegal to speak out and a vote that doesn’t count. It has been coming since Johnson signed the Equal Rights amendment. Thomas Jefferson said the democracy would be over when they discover they can vote themselves money. Many people thought that was describing the social network being woven for the security of the people. It wasn’t. It is Congress that was bought and us that are sold out. My new thing of note is that the Koch bros are investing hundreds of millions in rewiring the prison system. They will demand their own private prisons that must have an occupancy requirement. To me that means they can jail anyone, any time,for anything. I know you think I am an alarmist but, this IS alarming. The only thing we have left is our sense of humor.
Hope123
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 1:28:36 PM

Nunes memo is out. Would an American please explain what all the hullabaloo was the last week and why Russian bots flooded social media with #releasethe memo. The GOP are willing to fight with the department of justice over this? I had even heard the memo had been doctored by Nunes. Is it not serious in the US when the DOJ is challenged by the government? Is that the Constitutional Crisis they keep talking about? Why can't the Dems release their side too?

I thought Nunes was fired or had to recuse himself for colluding with the White House months ago?

:::

The FISA was issued on Page before the Steele dossier which was originated by the Republicans and turned over by John McCain to the FBI.

Strzok was the one who pushed Comey to write the letter reopening the case against Hillary.

No?

What did I miss? Is this just desperation and one step closer to firing Mueller?

Why didn't they appoint a special prosecutor Trump couldn't fire to begin with? It seems silly to me to have someone investigating their boss and the boss has the power to fire them.

Is the general public going to understand this or is that the idea that he tells them what to think and they believe it?

progpen
Posted: Saturday, February 3, 2018 5:21:47 AM

The Nunes memo is childish political theater. There is nothing of substance in the memo. Everything that is in the memo has already been said. There is no supporting information and it presents a small portion of the larger picture, conveniently leaving out all the facts that counter their accusations.

This is just a small part of the Republican Party's concerted attempts to derail the Russia investigation by discrediting the FBI.

Hope123
Posted: Saturday, February 3, 2018 6:36:20 AM

Thanks, Progpen. If they'd been smart, they'd let the investigation go on without saying a word and thank the FBI for putting them in power. The more they resist, the guiltier they look, and the harder the FBI will look to find anything they can - that being a natural reaction.

I saw this analysis last night: https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/02/opinions/prosecutor-take-on-nunes-memo-callan-opinion/index.html

Paul Callan is a CNN legal analyst, a former New York homicide prosecutor and currently is counsel at the New York law firm of Edelman & Edelman PC, focusing on wrongful conviction and civil rights cases. Follow him on Twitter @paulcallan. The opinions expressed in this commentary are his own”
Over the years I have noticed that it is the Republican Representatives in the US who are always wasting money and time and resources conducting lengthy hearings and investigations, one after the other about the same topic and against their opponents, usually the same ones, to smear them. They are like rats chewing on a shoe. And then they turn around and do the exact same thing or worse. They seem to make more attacks and more personal attacks and are nastier. They are still investigating Hillary - and they are in power. Weird.

Benghazi, Benghazi, Benghazi. Where is Niger, Niger, Niger? Classified information on emails versus telling allied classified information to the Russians right in the Oval Office, and now releasing this to confuse the voters with the rationalization that the "people deserve to know". Think what they could accomplish with all that money if they did the business of the country.

I also have noticed, even taken issue with a couple of Americans who did so here on the Forum, that a fair percentage of Americans believe a lot of conspiracy theories. Maybe that is why they like Trump so much. He's a "Conspiracionist" too.

Anyhow, my point is that the Democrats have the welfare of the people in mind (think healthcare etc.) and try to "go high", as Michelle Obama said. To which the Republicans reply, "Thanks, Sucker".

Just my opinion and observations from afar.

(Digression - Have you heard that Trump has pondered the idea that someday he might be on Mount Rushmore? !!! Please note the word pondered.)

almo 1
Posted: Saturday, February 3, 2018 7:04:42 AM

Neurons: 5,715

The FISA memo has been released: Here’s what’s in it

http://2018/02/02/fisa-memo-released-heres-whats

7 biggest takeaways from the FISA memo that was just released

http://2018/02/02/take-it-away-597169

progpen
Posted: Saturday, February 3, 2018 10:33:29 AM

Thank you Almo, the link to the Fox News article does show exactly how the Republicans have used incorrect information to try to discredit the FBI. One thing they may have gotten right though, if the FBI relied on a Yahoo News article to back up the Steele Dossier and the Yahoo News article was based on the dossier, then that would be negligent.

If it wasn't such a big deal that the conservative website, the Washington Free Beacon, paid Fusion GPS for the investigation (specifically to incriminate Trump), then how could it possibly be a big deal if anyone else did after that to find out if the Trump team was breaking the law?

Hope123
Posted: Saturday, February 3, 2018 10:34:00 AM

Good idea to post the memo, itself, Almo.

One needs to read the memo itself on Almo's first link, then get all the facts, then think critically.

Also, it is always a good idea to check the sources.

A media bias website says this about the source on the second link:

Notes: BIZPAC Review, Inc. operates a news and opinion website that covers conservative news. Bizpac Review has a strong right-wing bias in reporting choices, wording, and does not always source well. They have also failed a fact check. (10/19/16) Updated (7/8/2017)

Hope123
Posted: Saturday, February 3, 2018 11:00:37 AM

The original topic of this thread is about fact checking.

It's always a good idea to read the original (in this case Nunes memo), but then it has to be fact checked. It was written by a Republican who supposedly recused himself as he colluded to help the White House earlier, so I don't know how he is even allowed to be involved.

The other Investigating Committee leader, Schiff, a Democrat, has also read the same information.

"Yet the top Democrat on the House Intelligence panel, Adam Schiff of California, has described the Republican memo as "a profoundly misleading set of talking points" that is "rife with factual inaccuracies" designed to undermine the FBI and DOJ – and special counsel Robert Mueller's ongoing investigation into Russia's election interference and possible collusion with Trump associates. Schiff is one of two lawmakers on the panel who has reviewed the Justice Department records on which the memo is based."

USA Today is the source of this quote.

isaaac
Posted: Tuesday, February 6, 2018 5:54:40 PM

Neurons: 37,988
If democratic elections can be overturned by a computer stroking,the Nation should engaged,in to STROKING,like all previous posts,wake up & smoke some WEED.....Boo hoo! Pray
philips daughter
Posted: Tuesday, February 6, 2018 8:56:13 PM

Trump Campaign Releases Ad Slamming Dems For 'Utterly Disgraceful' Sitting During SOTU - HuffPost
https://apple.news/AMNgmjTebTFed-fpannHkEQ.

At least they didn’t shout at him and call him names like they did President Obama. They acted nice. They don’t have to clap for someone they don’t agree with. He is displaying all his authoritarian aspirations. Plus he is having the Pentagon throw him a parade. What kind of expense will that be? At the end of the Gulf War, Bush I commanded a parade to honor the vets and it cost $8,000,000. But of course, we were finished (?) there. Here we are in our longest war with no end in sight. All their concern about the deficit has flown out the window now that he’s spending the money. And remember when he said he knew more than the generals. This is a parade to honor himself. He is disgusting.
Romany
Posted: Wednesday, February 7, 2018 6:30:04 AM

What I find hard to understand is: Trump's so narcissistic and egotistical; how come he he doesn't care when his jejune ideas cause him to be the laughing-stock of the rest of the world? I thought his minders tried to protect him from doing things that make him look like a not-very-bright child in the eyes of the world outside his 32%?

Good grief. "I wanna parade. Just for me." ???

He certainly IS 'transparent', isn't he?
progpen
Posted: Wednesday, February 7, 2018 7:24:14 AM

Yes, our own occupant of the White House is the US version of Lil' Kim.

almo 1
Posted: Thursday, February 8, 2018 1:13:07 AM

Neurons: 5,715
philips daughter wrote:
Trump Campaign Releases Ad Slamming Dems For 'Utterly Disgraceful' Sitting During SOTU - HuffPost

The link says "Sorry, this item isn't available in Apple News."

This must be it:

https://www.facebook.com/HuffPost/posts/101

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-campaign-

Hope123
Posted: Thursday, February 8, 2018 7:59:27 AM

LOL. Obviously Trump has never watched a State of the Union address before. I can't get the photo to copy where John Boehner, sitting directly behind Obama, is asleep as Obama makes his speech. I used to watch him, and Boehner was always so sour faced. And he was one of the good ones who wanted to be bipartisan for the good of the country but was forced out by the GOP for that very reason.

Trump wants everyone to bow down before him as king - a king who orders and gets his own parade.

I have wondered that too Rom. He attacks individuals on Twitter, but never says a word back to people who are laughing at him. Seems to ignore that part somehow.

progpen
Posted: Thursday, February 8, 2018 9:10:25 AM

Hope123 wrote:
LOL. Obviously Trump has never watched a State of the Union address before. I can't get the photo to copy where John Boehner, sitting directly behind Obama, is asleep as Obama makes his speech. I used to watch him, and Boehner was always so sour faced. And he was one of the good ones who wanted to be bipartisan for the good of the country but was forced out by the GOP for that very reason.

Trump wants everyone to bow down before him as king - a king who orders and gets his own parade.

I have wondered that too Rom. He attacks individuals on Twitter, but never says a word back to people who are laughing at him. Seems to ignore that part somehow.

He doesn't allow himself to see any information that he might not agree with. He has in the past accidentally read something he didn't like and has responded like the spoiled 8 year old he is.

progpen
Posted: Monday, February 12, 2018 10:19:31 AM

Hope123 wrote:
Nunes memo is out. Would an American please explain what all the hullabaloo was the last week and why Russian bots flooded social media with #releasethe memo. The GOP are willing to fight with the department of justice over this? I had even heard the memo had been doctored by Nunes. Is it not serious in the US when the DOJ is challenged by the government? Is that the Constitutional Crisis they keep talking about? Why can't the Dems release their side too?

I thought Nunes was fired or had to recuse himself for colluding with the White House months ago?

The FISA was issued on Page before the Steele dossier which was originated by the Republicans and turned over by John McCain to the FBI.

Strzok was the one who pushed Comey to write the letter reopening the case against Hillary.

No?

What did I miss? Is this just desperation and one step closer to firing Mueller?

Why didn't they appoint a special prosecutor Trump couldn't fire to begin with? It seems silly to me to have someone investigating their boss and the boss has the power to fire them.

Is the general public going to understand this or is that the idea that he tells them what to think and they believe it?

This is from my comment in the thread about the Russia interviews.

A very good write up on the Nunes Memo.
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/02/02/nunes_fbi_memo/

Michael Steele, a former Republican National Committee chairman, cracked a good one on the memo's quality:

The folks at @TheOnion after reading the #NunesMemo have sent a cease and desist order to the House Intelligence Committee for stealing their material.
— Michael Steele (@MichaelSteele) February 2, 2018

If this memo resulted in an in-depth and much more honest appraisal of spying laws in the United States, and the seemingly low bar of proof required by the FISA Court, it might even be worth the damage caused to key institutions. But there is next to no chance of that actually happening – because the very people who wrote this memo and pushed for it to be published are the exact same people who prevented debate of one of America's most controversial spying programs – Section 702 – and who prevented additional safeguards from being implemented. Safeguards that would have limited the potential for abuse that this memo purports to demonstrate and is so upset about. The hypocrisy is gut wrenching.

Just to be clear though, this memo does not demonstrate any political bias on the part of the FBI or the DoJ, despite its best efforts. The g-men did their job using the powers that Congress gave them. And if some intelligence officials didn't want Trump elected president, this whole episode has unfortunately demonstrated why: as president, Donald Trump was in a position to prevent the release of this appalling memo and he chose not to.

He put his own personal goals ahead of the country's. And frankly no patriot wants to see that in their president.

Romany
Posted: Monday, February 12, 2018 12:17:58 PM

And now he's finally done it: - couldn't have made it any clearer if he'd given a press conference dressed up like Baby Hughie, in a nappy and bonnet.

His words and behaviour re the Democrats "Memo" are no surprise. No-one is shocked or startled. It was an option no-one would even have considered when dealing with real politicians - but it was always in the back of our minds that he MIGHT get to throw a few toys out of his cot before Nanny put a stop to it.

But even Nanny's in his bad books now and he honestly, truly did what the world has never seen before outside of a Banana Republic: - he stamped his little foot and said we were only allowed to look at *his* stuff; everyone else's "stuff" was to be kept hidden away!

Good: - he has clarified for the rest of the world that he's an intellectual and behavioural lighweight who has done more to dismantle the form of Democracy upon which the USA once prided itself, than any invasion or foreign take-over ever could. And that if the real politicians and the righteous indignation of American citizens doesn't now get serious about this clusterfuck that is bringing down the whole world and get rid of him and his bunch of mentally-challenged Mafia-lawyers, wife-beaters, child abusers, serial cheaters, crooks, criminals and cretins, then America is finished: - though not so the unbelievable National Debt which continues to spiral upwards with every week while he jets around to play golf, tell unforgivable untruths and clog his ancient arteries with his child's diet.

Leader of the Free World? Not on our watch, people.
progpen
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 9:00:07 AM

Romany wrote:
...he has clarified for the rest of the world that he's an intellectual and behavioural lighweight who has done more to dismantle the form of Democracy upon which the USA once prided itself, than any invasion or foreign take-over ever could.

There have never been many here who thought US democracy or its global standing would be destroyed from outside. We've always known it would be an inside job.

Hope123
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 4:45:32 PM

You are right, Proggy. Other countries can interfere but it is how you handle that and other issues that count.

I guess I am naive or too principled or something, but this morning I found out something that shocked me when I should have realized it was probably happening. I went into the Luggage Shop to buy a couple of Maple Leaf luggage tags for our trip to Mexico. I've never done that before in Mexico but figured the Mexicans must be pretty ticked at Americans right now and wanted to make sure they knew we are CDN.

Anyhow, the shop owner said that their Chicago supplier told him that the biggest suitcase tag sales in the US are for the Maple Leaf. They are lying that they are CDN. Is nothing sacred? 😱 But maybe if I were American I'd have at least thought of doing that too. :)

The store clerk said, "They are stealing our identity". I thought about that afterwards and decided they may borrow it for travelling, but if they act with arrogance as I've seen some do, the Mexicans will know who they are. I hope! It is a shame that Americans have tarnished their reputation - even more lately - because many many Americans are not brash like that at all.

However, I decided they can't steal our identity. Only we ourselves can ruin our own reputation. I hope Canadians never do that.

progpen
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 5:46:05 PM

Hope, I confess. I'm one of those identity thieves. When I go abroad, it is so much easier if I am identified as "not from the US".