The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Fraudulent Ads on Websites Options
TazDvl
Posted: Tuesday, January 30, 2018 2:31:03 PM

Neurons: 13,636
I was browsing through a website where people can post ads, http://www.kittensforadoption.us/catclassifieds/search#kittens, to adopt/purchase a kitten, one ad I found, I called the # listed, left a vm. Shortly after I received a text and we started going back and forth, long story short, I was a victim of fraud. Before anyone says it, I know, I was dumber than a sack of hammers for falling for it! Will not happen again. Not talking I reported to local police, but I doubt anything will happen. My question is, the website still has the ads, and the one I contacted is still answering calls, had a friend try it. There is no phone # on the website to contact the provider of the service, there is only a "feedback" button, which I filled out, and as of yet have received an answer. Any suggestions on my next steps? I really want to nail these bastards, but my resources are very limited. Thank you.

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes, several days attack me at once.
taurine
Posted: Tuesday, January 30, 2018 2:41:49 PM

Neurons: 63,911
I think that first step might be to contact the internet provider to locate the service provider in question.
You could consider looking for legal advice in Boston, because it could become a tort case.

I am not sure is it possible to locate the service provider accused of wrong through the cooperation of the internet provider without suitable document obtained from the Court.

J'ai perdu mes amis en Afrique durant la dernière semaine de 2017
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Monday, February 05, 2018 10:15:11 AM

Neurons: 155,936
Most internet providers will not supply details, even to law-enforcement agencies, without a court order.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Islami
Posted: Thursday, February 08, 2018 11:02:00 AM

Neurons: 199
Internet providers are supposed to verify or advise for verifying details of advertisers.
My personal advice is to never respond to any such ad as don't have any address,phone or contact number.

Just because the writer of an article is British doesn't mean that they use English correctly-DragOnspeaker.
taurine
Posted: Thursday, February 08, 2018 5:45:54 PM

Neurons: 63,911
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
Most internet providers will not supply details, even to law-enforcement agencies, without a court order.

10% discount

J'ai perdu mes amis en Afrique durant la dernière semaine de 2017