The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Dialect translation (again) Options
vkhu
Posted: Monday, January 29, 2018 10:29:01 AM

Neurons: 5,714
Quote:
‘Ay!’ he said at last, in a little voice. ‘Ay ma lad! tha’re theer right enough. Yi, tha mun rear thy head! Theer on thy own, eh? an’ ta’es no count O’ nob’dy! Tha ma’es nowt O’ me, John Thomas. Art boss? of me? Eh well, tha’re more cocky than me, an’ tha says less. John Thomas! Dost want her? Dost want my lady Jane? Tha’s dipped me in again, tha hast. Ay, an’ tha comes up smilin’. — Ax ’er then! Ax lady Jane! Say: Lift up your heads, O ye gates, that the king of glory may come in. Ay, th’ cheek on thee! Cunt, that’s what tha’re after. Tell lady Jane tha wants cunt. John Thomas, an’ th’ cunt O’ lady Jane! — ’

This is giving me a real headache.

The excerpt comes from here: https://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/l/lawrence/dh/l41l/chapter14.html

So basically the guy is talking to/as his erect penis. And I have several questions:

1) Is he pretending to be the penis, or speaking to it?
2) What would the non-dialect (or perhaps modern) equivalence of the sentences in bold?
Romany
Posted: Monday, January 29, 2018 11:52:36 AM

Neurons: 42,273
Ah VK - then I'm guessing it's not the same in your culture?

Well, uh...most guys have a name for their penis. And, actually, "John Thomas" was a euphemism for a penis for many years - and is still occasionally used. (Please don't ask me why guys do this - I'm a woman so I have no idea. It's just a guy-thing.)

I'm not going to translate it word for word - just give the overall meaning: -

1. "tha're theer right enough" = There you are.
2. "Theer on thy own, eh? an’ ta’es no count O’ nob’dy! = You're very independent, aren't you?
"Tha ma’es nowt O’ me, John Thomas. Art boss? of me?" = You don't care about what I think: I bet you consider yourself the boss of me.
3. " Tha’s dipped me in again, tha hast" = Now you've started to go limp again.
4. "Ay, th’ cheek on thee! " = You're very cheeky.
5. "John Thomas, an’ th’ cunt O’ Lady Jane!" = The only ladies genitals you want are those of Lady Jane.
vkhu
Posted: Monday, January 29, 2018 12:18:20 PM

Neurons: 5,714
Well that naming thing is certainly new. Where I'm from, we have some sarcastic slang for the penis, but no actual human names or anything. Knowing people actually name their privates is, um,... interesting.
thar
Posted: Monday, January 29, 2018 12:31:51 PM

Neurons: 66,343
You have obviously become comfortable with thee/thou/tha/th' meaning 'you'.

But the other part is how the verbs are formed in this dialect.

Tha art - you are. (So 'art boss?' means 'are you the boss?')
And
tha hast - you have.

In general there are -st endings for second person 'thou _st'.

Congratulations. You are learning Icelandic without even trying. You never know, it might com in handy some day. Whistle
No, probably not.
towan52
Posted: Monday, January 29, 2018 12:34:20 PM

Neurons: 161,849
Discreet translation Romany! Applause

"Today I was a hero. I rescued some beer that was trapped in a bottle"
thar
Posted: Monday, January 29, 2018 12:42:28 PM

Neurons: 66,343
Yeah, this is the bit where you go " OK, so that is why it was banned for 32 years until the sexual revolution came along!

Although I always assumed it was the anal sex that did that. And up against a tree (if I remember correctly - embarrassing if I'm not!Whistle ) - just not cricket, is it!

I saw (part of) a fairly recent film version a while ago. Fine, except the sense was romantic -kiss, roll-over-and-fade-out in front of a fire. Totally missed the whole point of the carnality of it. It had a 'Lawrence advisor' in the credits, who probably pulled her hair out on seeing the script.

There was an old version, wasn't there? Oliver Reed (or was that another Lawrence story?Think ). But that was of its time of sexual liberation and more faithful to the spirit of the writing, I think?
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Monday, January 29, 2018 1:23:40 PM

Neurons: 5,389
thar wrote:
Yeah, this is the bit where you go " OK, so that is why it was banned for 32 years until the sexual revolution came along!

Although I always assumed it was the anal sex that did that. And up against a tree (if I remember correctly - embarrassing if I'm not!Whistle ) - just not cricket, is it!

I saw (part of) a fairly recent film version a while ago. Fine, except the sense was romantic -kiss, roll-over-and-fade-out in front of a fire. Totally missed the whole point of the carnality of it. It had a 'Lawrence advisor' in the credits, who probably pulled her hair out on seeing the script.

There was an old version, wasn't there? Oliver Reed (or was that another Lawrence story?Think ). But that was of its time of sexual liberation and more faithful to the spirit of the writing, I think?

I think it was the film Women in Love you are thinking of.

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
NKM
Posted: Monday, January 29, 2018 4:08:16 PM

Neurons: 207,389
vkhu wrote:
Well that naming thing is certainly new. Where I'm from, we have some sarcastic slang for the penis, but no actual human names or anything. Knowing people actually name their privates is, um,... interesting.

══════════════════════════════════════════════

That's new to me, too. Private parts of both sexes have acquired many pseudonyms through the centuries, but as far as I know most of us don't habitually assign them names and actually talk to them.

Romany
Posted: Monday, January 29, 2018 4:14:12 PM

Neurons: 42,273

NK - Well from what I've picked up about you, I'm prepared to bet that you haven't been intimate with very many men in your life? It's not as if guys walk into a place and say "Oh hello there, I'm Charles - and this is my little buddy Horace"!
NKM
Posted: Monday, January 29, 2018 5:03:19 PM

Neurons: 207,389
I probably shouldn't deign to respond to that, but I shall — only to say that it doesn't deserve a response.

almo 1
Posted: Tuesday, January 30, 2018 3:26:05 AM

Neurons: 5,715
Romany wrote:

NK - Well from what I've picked up about you, I'm prepared to bet that you haven't been intimate with very many men in your life? It's not as if guys walk into a place and say "Oh hello there, I'm Charles - and this is my little buddy Horace"!

Do you, by any chance, have a dick?

Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Tuesday, January 30, 2018 6:26:37 AM

Neurons: 339,971
Almo,
that was one of your most inapppropriate comments so far.
Speak to the hand

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Tuesday, January 30, 2018 7:17:22 AM

Neurons: 5,389
I certainly don't have a pet name for mine, I am not sure that it's as common as you think Romany.

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
Maryam Dad
Posted: Tuesday, January 30, 2018 9:09:06 AM

Neurons: 3,419
vkhu wrote:

We too, name our privates (male only), "si Anang" and "si Utuh", the closest English translations would be "little John" and "little Thomas". Dancing

"And the sun and the moon are brought together --" (Al Qiyamah: 9)
Maryam Dad
Posted: Tuesday, January 30, 2018 9:13:50 AM

almo 1 wrote:
Romany wrote:

Do you, by any chance, have a dick?

I remember when I was a kid, I liked a girl (same age). I knew I liked her but I acted like I hated her, I annoyed her, insulted her, I just couldn't help it.

Maryam Dad
Posted: Tuesday, January 30, 2018 9:15:30 AM

Hello Hope, how are you?

almo 1
Posted: Wednesday, January 31, 2018 6:55:17 PM

Neurons: 5,715

Me neither.