The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

infringement Options
Daemon
Posted: Monday, January 29, 2018 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 71,298
infringement

(noun) An encroachment, as of a right or privilege.

Synonyms: violation

Usage: Before I could prove to them that this proceeding was a gross infringement on the liberties of the British subject, I found myself lodged within the walls of a prison.
monamagda
Posted: Monday, January 29, 2018 4:29:01 AM

Neurons: 4,179,158

An infringement is a minor offense that involves breaking a rule or a law. If your sister takes a chapter from your book and publishes it as her own, you could sue her for copyright infringement.

An infringement can result in legal penalties if you’re breaking a law, as in the case of a copyright infringement or a patent infringement. An infringement can also be a violation of a rule or an agreement that applies in a specific situation. In that case there are no legal consequences, but there are still penalties. If the referee sees an infringement of the rules during your soccer game, he’ll penalize your team by awarding your opponents a free kick.

Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross, who is also in Davos, hinted at action against China, saying U.S. trade authorities were investigating whether there is a case for taking action over China’s infringements of intellectual property.
ReutersJan 24, 2018

https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/infringement

KSPavan
Posted: Monday, January 29, 2018 5:06:07 AM

Neurons: 2,374,837
Word of the Day
infringement
Definition: (noun) An encroachment, as of a right or privilege.
Usage: Before I could prove to them that this proceeding was a gross infringement on the liberties of the British subject, I found myself lodged within the walls of a prison.
taurine
Posted: Monday, January 29, 2018 10:02:08 AM

Neurons: 67,785
"Have you heard that our pair of police officer fish Officer Nancy and Officer John arrested Gene Scallop for an attempt to sell photos of the beauty Quinn of Bikini Bottom, Princess Mindy?" Asked Barnacle Boy.
"Yes, I have heard but this is strange. For an attempt to sell photos of the beauty Quinn of Bikini Bottom, Princess Mindy?" Answered Mermaid Man.
"No, it is not strange. This despicable criminal Gene Scallop tried to sell photos of Princess Mindy without her consent. Poor beauty Quinn of Bikini Bottom didn't know at all about photos taken without her consent and sold without her knowledge." Answered agitated Barnacle Boy.
"Evil! Evil!Evil!" Exclaimed Mermaid Man three times.

J'ai perdu mes amis en Afrique durant la dernière semaine de 2017
Emel Rapchan
Posted: Monday, January 29, 2018 4:23:08 PM

Neurons: 211,914
Infringement
- violation, infraction, misdemeanor, breach, contravention.
- A crime less serious than a felony

Violation
- misdemeanor, breach, illegality.
- lying under oath, perjury, defined as a crime less serious than a felony (as well)

Felony:
- A crime or offense of graver character than a misdemeanor (violation).
- A serious crime like murder or arson. Such sort of crime that is normally punished by the death penalty.
- A serious crime often regarded to public service. A serious breaking of the public law.
- outrage, atrocity, hideous crime.
Irma Crespo
Posted: Tuesday, January 30, 2018 5:18:20 PM

Neurons: 101,250
infringement

Definition: (noun) An encroachment, as of a right or privilege.