The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Data on Canadian Immigrants in a Merit Based System Options
Hope123
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 12:35:21 PM

Neurons: 44,394
Data on Canadian Immigrants in a Merit Based System:

Are there other countries who have a merit based immigration system like Canada's? What are your country's policies? I'm just curious.

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/contributors/2018/01/15/data-on-canadian-immigrants-from-s--hole-countries-might-surprise-trump.html

Employment, wages, receipt of government benefits were analyzed for third generation Canadians, immigrants from Europe/UK/Norway etc., and immigrants from Central America/Caribbean/Africa etc.

The author found in his research that immigrants from the s...hole countries are no more dependent upon the state than other Canadians.

Trump has a point about merit but as the author in this opinion piece says, according to his research Trump's perceptions in comparing Norway and Haiti are either ignorant or racist. (Besides, Norwegians would find going to the states a downgrade.)

Until I realized the US does not, I had thought every country had a merit based system and one needed a promise of a job before being allowed in except as a refugee. I don't know if the job promise is still a requirement in Canada, but vetting on merit just seems sensible to me.

There are accusations that this is racist. But it is not racist because some of the same race/country/culture are allowed while others are not. We cannot overwhelm our systems as it is hard enough to pay for them as is. We want people who will be grateful for the opportunity to contribute to Canadian life and I see nothing wrong with that practicality.

A man must be excessively stupid, as well as uncharitable, who believes there is no virtue but on his own side. Addison
Romany
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 2:50:06 PM

Neurons: 43,045
Having had to apply for Visas and immigration status to quite a few countries for myself and for my sons, I can assure you that every country I know of has merit-based systems -often referred to as a Points system.

Trump is ill-informed about his own system, too: getting into the USA is tough...and takes forever. Of course people from EU countries move pretty freely around other EU countries, but that's a separate thing. Even though I had been a Permanent Resident in Australia, it still took two years before the boys and I all received our papers.We were "on the run" for the whole of those 2 years, going from place to place, country to country...more like refugees that immigrants!

BTW - have you seen any of the replies from Norwegian citizens and politicians to questions about why USA doesn't get more people from Norway?

They ask what possible incentive they could have to leave one of the most advanced countries in the world to migrate to a place where citizens are killed by other citizens every day of the year. They also cite Americas failed Education system, lack of personal freedoms, lack of holiday pay, maternal & paternal leave, health care,violence "no-go" areas and the point that religion is allowed into politics; as well as it's racism, gender wars, exclusion from the rest of the world etc. etc.

Also heard a guest on a talk-show say how people "from every country in the world" are "clamouring" to get into the USA. Everyone else fell about laughing and the comments from people "from every country in the world" afterwards proved that Trump & Co. are utterly deluded. They simply don't seem to understand that the past year or so has changed everything?

It's going to be a long time before any citizens from developed countries are going to want to migrate to America now that it has exposed how bloody hard life there is compared to other developed countries.

If the Orange One still wonders why people from developed countries aren't pouring in maybe someone should sit him down and show him that having told 1,700 lies to his people in the short time he's been in office; why should they believe their lives would be better off than in a country where their leaders have ethics and moral values?
almo 1
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 8:12:33 PM

Neurons: 5,715

This Canadian woman talks about why
she moved to Japan. (non-political comment):

Canadian woman

This American guy talks about similarities
between Norway and Japan. (non-political comment):

Norway Vs. Japan : Similarities Between The Two

Hope123
Posted: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 3:20:56 PM

Thanks, Romany. Good to hear that.

Also, thanks for expanding my "downgraded" comment re Norway.

Over 2000 lies now. But lies, political fancy-footing and games, moral issues, accusations of racism, an immigration policy that yesterday removed a man (from his wife and children) who was brought to the US as a ten-year old and has paid taxes and tried to become a citizen for thirty years, misogyny and accusations of sexual assault, the question of collusion with Russia, the huge foreign policy gaffs, the governing-via-Tweets activities, testing the lack of judgment which is not the same as aceing and boasting about a cognitive test meant to show advanced dementia, or the sheer political and general Ignorance of a president are not what will ultimately "take him down". Any one of those would have stopped most presidents.

No, it would be money laundering. Decades of it that smarter people than me have been saying all along to watch for. They point to the fact that he does not release his tax returns and what Mueller seems to be uncovering.

IF this is true and he hadn't run for president, nobody would be the wiser. Maybe he had to run - Putin has been suggested...and he and Melania didn't think he'd win.

We'll just have to wait for Mueller so we can know whether or not all these accusations are true.

A man must be excessively stupid, as well as uncharitable, who believes there is no virtue but on his own side. Addison
almo 1
Posted: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 8:02:10 PM

Hope123 wrote:
Thanks, Romany. Good to hear that.
Also, thanks for expanding my "downgraded" comment re Norway.
Over 2000 lies now.

But that is the comment from the person
who likes to use the word like wanker
to describe the president.

This thread should go to politics forum.

Hope123
Posted: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 10:56:13 PM

Stick it in your ear, Almo. I have never used that word in my life, although all it means is a detestable fellow unless you have a dirty mind.

Stop stalking Romany and me again as you did when you got banned for that as Almostfreebird. I'm going to start keeping track and report you again if the harassment doesn't stop.

almo 1
Posted: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 11:15:44 PM

So be it.

Hope123
Posted: Thursday, January 18, 2018 11:20:27 AM

Admins, this thread has evolved into a discussion of Politcs so if you so desire, please change the sub forum for me. Thanks.