The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

(A noun complement Vs. An adjective complement) Options
A cooperator
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 7:33:06 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/27/2011
Posts: 2,657
Neurons: 9,597
Location: Ḩāḑírah, Hadramawt, Yemen
Hi Everyone!
As far as I know:
A noun complement( What can follow a noun?)
An adjective complement(What can follow an adjective)

My questions are:

Firstly:
'installed' and 'a lair' are noun complements in these sentence below in order:
Is it a program I need to have/get installed?
Are you calling me a lair?

Secondly: I read somewhere:
Quote:
A noun clause(but not a noun) can be an adjective complement:
Everybody is sad that Billy drowned.


As long as it is said "A noun clause(but not a noun) can be an adjective complement", you think that 'noun' cannot be an adjective complement(a noun cannot follow an adjective).
However, "This is green grass.". Is 'grass' here not an adjective complement as long as it follows the adjective 'sad'? Yes. I agree with you that 'a green grass' is an adjective phrase. However, the noun 'grass' should be called an adjective complement' as long as follow an adjective.
If I was wrong, then why "that Billy drowned" would be considered an adjective complement, but 'grass' wouldn't? I think both 'that Billy drowned" and 'grass' follow an adjective.








Whoever doesn't own what he promises to those who do not deserve must not promise it.
Fyfardens
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 7:51:49 PM
Rank: Member

Joined: 12/16/2017
Posts: 204
Neurons: 2,986
Brick wall
A cooperator
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 9:48:07 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/27/2011
Posts: 2,657
Neurons: 9,597
Location: Ḩāḑírah, Hadramawt, Yemen
Fyfardens wrote:
Brick wall


Could you please kindly let other reply to me if you're not interested in?


Whoever doesn't own what he promises to those who do not deserve must not promise it.
A cooperator
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2018 7:26:49 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/27/2011
Posts: 2,657
Neurons: 9,597
Location: Ḩāḑírah, Hadramawt, Yemen
The intended meaning is I know many nouns and adjectives can be followed by a nonu clause, such as
I admire your belief that your are always right. . Here the noun cluase is a noun complement.
Thus, why that writer said
A noun clause(but not a noun) can be an adjective complement:
Everybody is sad that Billy drowned.

Whoever doesn't own what he promises to those who do not deserve must not promise it.
Audiendus
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2018 8:37:06 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 8/24/2011
Posts: 4,624
Neurons: 801,921
Location: London, England, United Kingdom
A cooperator wrote:
As long as it is said "A noun clause(but not a noun) can be an adjective complement", you think that 'noun' cannot be an adjective complement(a noun cannot follow an adjective).

That is right. For example, we cannot say: "Everybody is sad Billy's death".

A cooperator wrote:
However, "This is green grass.". Is 'grass' here not an adjective complement as long as it follows the adjective 'sad'?

No - this is a different construction. In the first example, the basic sentence is "Everybody is sad", and "that Billy drowned" is additional information (it says what everybody is sad about). In the second example, however, the basic sentence is "This is grass" (not "This is green"), and "green" is additional information. "Grass" is part of the basic idea, not a complement to it.
A cooperator
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2018 9:18:11 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/27/2011
Posts: 2,657
Neurons: 9,597
Location: Ḩāḑírah, Hadramawt, Yemen
Audiendus wrote:
A cooperator wrote:
As long as it is said "A noun clause(but not a noun) can be an adjective complement", you think that 'noun' cannot be an adjective complement(a noun cannot follow an adjective).

That is right. For example, we cannot say: "Everybody is sad Billy's death".


Thanks a lot,
Audiendus,
Firstly: but do you think in yours, 'Billy's death' is only a noun?

I was expecting that saying "a noun clause(but not a noun) can be an adjective complement" means a noun clause cannot follow nouns. However, I know many nouns and adjectives can be followed by a noun clause, such as
I admire your belief that you are always right. . (Here the noun clause is a noun complement).


Secondly: you think a noun clause can be an object complement, could you give an example where "the object is a pronoun", and the noun clause is an object complement?


Thirdly:you think many nouns and adjectives can be followed by a relative clause? In your example below in other thread, you used a personal pronoun followed by a relative clause.
I consider her a trustworthy person.
I consider her a person who is trustworthy. [object complement]

Finally:
You think "a noun complement" and "an object complement" as in the underlined ones are interchangeable terms?
Is it a program I need to have/get installed.
Are you calling me a liar?
I admire your belief that you are always right.


Whoever doesn't own what he promises to those who do not deserve must not promise it.
Audiendus
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2018 9:37:56 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 8/24/2011
Posts: 4,624
Neurons: 801,921
Location: London, England, United Kingdom
A cooperator wrote:
Audiendus wrote:
A cooperator wrote:
As long as it is said "A noun clause(but not a noun) can be an adjective complement", you think that 'noun' cannot be an adjective complement(a noun cannot follow an adjective).

That is right. For example, we cannot say: "Everybody is sad Billy's death".

Thanks a lot,
Audiendus,
Firstly: but do you think in yours, Billy's death is only a noun?

I was expecting that saying "a noun clause(but not a noun) can be an adjective complement" means a noun clause cannot follow nouns. However, I know many nouns and adjectives can be followed by a noun clause, such as
I admire your belief that you are always right. . (Here the noun clause is a noun complement).

In my example, "Billy's death" is a noun phrase, so it acts like a noun. It is not a noun clause, as it contains no verb.

The same applies to just a noun. For example, we cannot say: "Everybody is sad Billy" or "Everybody is sad the tragedy".
Audiendus
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2018 10:18:30 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 8/24/2011
Posts: 4,624
Neurons: 801,921
Location: London, England, United Kingdom
A cooperator wrote:
Secondly: you think a noun clause can be an object complement, could you give an example where "the object is a pronoun", and the noun clause is an object complement?

No, I cannot. Such a construction would be very odd.

A cooperator wrote:
Thirdly:you think many nouns and adjectives can be followed by a relative clause? In your example below in other thread, you used a personal pronoun followed by a relative clause.
I consider her a trustworthy person.
I consider her a person who is trustworthy. [object complement]

Yes, this construction can be used wherever it makes sense.

A cooperator wrote:
Finally:
You think "a noun complement" and "an object complement" as in the underlined ones are interchangeable terms?
Is it a program I need to have/get installed.
Are you calling me a liar?
I admire your belief that you are always right.

"Noun complement" and "object complement" are not interchangeable terms, but in the second and third examples above, the noun complement (in red) happens to be the object complement, because it complements the blue noun/pronoun, which is the object.

The first example is more complex. The full meaning is: "Is it a program which I need to have/get installed?", where "which" is the object of "have/get", and "installed" is the complement (object complement) of "which". I myself would not use the term "noun complement" for "installed", as it would be confusing; "installed" itself is an adjective, although it complements a pronoun ("which").
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.