The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

provident Options
vkhu
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 10:55:21 AM

Neurons: 5,328
Quote:
He threw one or two dry ones down, put his coat and waistcoat over them, and she had to lie down there under the boughs of the tree, like an animal, while he waited, standing there in his shirt and breeches, watching her with haunted eyes. But still he was provident — he made her lie properly, properly.

Full text here: https://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/l/lawrence/dh/l41l/chapter10.html

I looked up provident in TFD. The only meanings that come up are "being frugal" and "being prepared for the future," and I don't get how these could fit into this context.

The frugal meaning's definitely out, and the prepared one sounds illogical. These 2 people just randomly met one another and decided to have sex right then and there. How had the man had the foresight to prepare for that?
FounDit
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 11:08:53 AM

Neurons: 45,262
vkhu wrote:
Quote:
He threw one or two dry ones down, put his coat and waistcoat over them, and she had to lie down there under the boughs of the tree, like an animal, while he waited, standing there in his shirt and breeches, watching her with haunted eyes. But still he was provident — he made her lie properly, properly.

Full text here: https://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/l/lawrence/dh/l41l/chapter10.html

I looked up provident in TFD. The only meanings that come up are "being frugal" and "being prepared for the future," and I don't get how these could fit into this context.

The frugal meaning's definitely out, and the prepared one sounds illogical. These 2 people just randomly met one another and decided to have sex right then and there. How had the man had the foresight to prepare for that?

I read the context, and the meaning you need is the root word for "provident" which is "to provide". He was provident in that he lay down some boughs for her, placed his coat and waistcoat over them so she would not have to lie on the bare ground. He "provided" a kind of bed for her.

A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~
Romany
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 1:05:32 PM

Neurons: 41,380
(Hey, VK - its things like the repetitions such as "lie properly, properly." that I also disliked! )
Fyfardens
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 1:29:00 PM

Neurons: 2,986
FounDit wrote:

I read the context, and the meaning you need is the root word for "provident" which is "to provide". He was provident in that he lay down some boughs for her, placed his coat and waistcoat over them so she would not have to lie on the bare ground. He "provided" a kind of bed for her.

That could be right. I am inclined to think that your idea is included in Foreseeing wants and making provision to supply them. He was making sure of her comfort for when she lay down and for when, soon after, he would get on top of her.