The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

questions Options
Maggie Q
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2018 2:46:24 AM

Neurons: 2,400
She knew exactly how to handle it: open the door and then open her robe. Right there in the Saturday-morning daylight, where anybody passing might see her. She’d make sure it was Frankie first, of course—she had no intention of flashing fat old Mr. Wicker if he’d rung the bell with a package or a registered mail—but it was at least half an hour too early for the mail.

Question 1: Right there --- what does ‘there’ refer to?

Question 2: What’s the meaning of ‘but it was at least half an hour too early for the mail’?

Question 3: In this case, what’s the meaning of ‘flash’? ( if A MAN flashes, or if he flashes someone, he shows his sexual organs in public? )

No, it was Frankie. She was sure.

She opened the door, the little smile widening to a welcoming grin—perhaps not fortunate, since her teeth were rather crammed together and the size of jumbo Chiclets. One hand was on the tie of her robe. But she didn’t pull it. Because it wasn’t Frankie. It was Junior, and he looked so angry—

Question 4 / 1: What does 'perhaps not fortunate' refer to?

Question 4 / 2: What’s the meaning of ‘the size of jumbo Chiclets’?

Angie had seen his black look before—many times, in fact—but never this black since eighth grade, when Junior broke the Dupree kid’s arm. The little fag had dared to swish his bubble-butt onto the town common basketball court and ask to play. And she supposed Junior must have had the same thunderstorm on his face that night in Dipper’s parking lot, but of course she hadn’t been there, she had only heard about it. Everybody in The Mill had heard about it. Angie’d been called in to talk to Chief Perkins, that damn Barbie had been there, and eventually that had gotten out, too.

Question 5: In this case, what’s the meaning of ‘thunderstorm’?

Question 6: that damn Barbie had been there, and eventually that had gotten out, too == that damn Barbie had been in the police station, and eventually that, like Angie, Barbie had been allowed to leave ( the police station ), too? If not, what's the meaning of 'that damn Barbie had been there, and eventually that had gotten out, too'?
Fyfardens
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2018 3:13:27 AM

Neurons: 3,399
1. Where she was at the time.
2. The mail would not arrive for at least another thirty minutes.
3. The meaning of 'flash' is the same whatever the gender of the flasher.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2018 3:36:24 AM

Neurons: 153,691
WOW! - What a strange book you are reading!
It seems like all the characters are a bit crazy!
This is not the way normal people think or behave.

1. "Right there" means "exactly at that point in space" - so it would be "At the door" and "in the daylight, where anybody passing might see her".

2. The mail-man usually comes at the same time each day - my mail arrives between 10:30 and 11:30.
Whatever time this scene occurred, it was half-an-hour before she would expect the mail-man to arrive.

3. It is the same meaning of "flash" - she intended to show her naked body to Frankie.

4/1. Her grin was 'not fortunate' because she had very large teeth, so a grin would not look attractive (in the opinion of the author).

4/2. I don't know what Chiclets are - but I would guess that they are some 'snack-food'.
I just checked - they are pieces of chewing-gum, about 1.0cm x 1.5cm (see picture below). So "Jumbo Chiclets" would be even bigger - like HUGE teeth.

5. "Thunderstorm" is a common metaphor for the look on someone's face when they are VERY, very angry.

6. I guess that this means that Barbie had been in Dipper's parking lot with Junior - I would need to know more about the story to be sure. Angie had not been there, but Barbie had.
It MIGHT mean that Barbie had been at the police-station, and Barbie had told everyone that Angie was pulled in by the police.
However, I think "that had gotten out" means that people had heard that Barbie had been there in the parking-lot.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!