The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

I think you are wrong to want a heart. It makes most people unhappy. If you only knew it, you are in luck not to have a heart. Options
Daemon
Posted: Thursday, December 28, 2017 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 67,989
I think you are wrong to want a heart. It makes most people unhappy. If you only knew it, you are in luck not to have a heart.

L. Frank Baum (1856-1919)
kakuuda
Posted: Thursday, December 28, 2017 2:39:57 AM

Neurons: 10,792
Applause indeed
KSPavan
Posted: Thursday, December 28, 2017 6:05:32 AM

Neurons: 2,114,507
Quotation of the Day

I think you are wrong to want a heart. It makes most people unhappy. If you only knew it, you are in luck not to have a heart.

Richard Garrett
Posted: Thursday, December 28, 2017 9:45:49 AM

Neurons: 5,765
Totally agree Applause . I wish I could get some of these words of mind when I was young. Maybe I would be more successful in my life.
ChristopherJohnson
Posted: Thursday, December 28, 2017 10:34:56 AM

Neurons: 950,367
But how about blood circulation?
Javier RS
Posted: Thursday, December 28, 2017 10:37:23 AM

Neurons: 723
Without a heart, we'd be all emotionless like machines! It's something that makes us unique from machines.

Joy and sadness is part of our life and intrinsic to humans!

Merry Christmas to everyone!
Bully_rus
Posted: Thursday, December 28, 2017 1:09:56 PM

Neurons: 144,024
Daemon wrote:

Yeah. But it's not enough. The most happy people mustn't have a brain either... Lucky you!
capitán
Posted: Thursday, December 28, 2017 4:03:11 PM

Neurons: 12,732
Daemon wrote:

Haven't we had this discussion a couple of years ago? Think
monamagda
Posted: Thursday, December 28, 2017 8:00:31 PM

Neurons: 3,878,393
Context from :The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

The Discovery of Oz, the Terrible

The false Wizard looked at him carefully.

"Well," he said with a sigh, "I'm not much of a magician, as I said; but if you will come to me tomorrow morning, I will stuff your head with brains. I cannot tell you how to use them, however; you must find that out for yourself."

"Oh, thank you--thank you!" cried the Scarecrow. "I'll find a way to use them, never fear!"

"But how about my courage?" asked the Lion anxiously.

"You have plenty of courage, I am sure," answered Oz. "All you need is confidence in yourself. There is no living thing that is not afraid when it faces danger. The True courage is in facing danger when you are afraid, and that kind of courage you have in plenty."

"Perhaps I have, but I'm scared just the same," said the Lion. "I shall really be very unhappy unless you give me the sort of courage that makes one forget he is afraid."

"Very well, I will give you that sort of courage tomorrow," replied Oz.

"How about my heart?" asked the Tin Woodman.

"Why, as for that," answered Oz, "I think you are wrong to want a heart. It makes most people unhappy. If you only knew it, you are in luck not to have a heart."

"That must be a matter of opinion," said the Tin Woodman. "For my part, I will bear all the unhappiness without a murmur, if you will give me the heart."

"Very well," answered Oz meekly. "Come to me tomorrow and you shall have a heart. I have played Wizard for so many years that I may as well continue the part a little longer."

"And now," said Dorothy, "how am I to get back to Kansas?"

"We shall have to think about that," replied the little man. "Give me two or three days to consider the matter and I'll try to find a way to carry you over the desert. In the meantime you shall all be treated as my guests, and while you live in the Palace my people will wait upon you and obey your slightest wish. There is only one thing I ask in return for my help--such as it is. You must keep my secret and tell no one I am a humbug."

They agreed to say nothing of what they had learned, and went back to their rooms in high spirits. Even Dorothy had hope that "The Great and Terrible Humbug," as she called him, would find a way to send her back to Kansas, and if he did she was willing to forgive him everything.

Read more: https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~rgs/oz-15.html