The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

I have outlived certain desires. I have lost friends, some by death...others through sheer inability to cross the street. I... Options
Daemon
Posted: Tuesday, December 19, 2017 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 75,627
I have outlived certain desires. I have lost friends, some by death...others through sheer inability to cross the street. I am not so gifted as at one time seemed likely.

Virginia Woolf (1882-1941)
KSPavan
Posted: Tuesday, December 19, 2017 3:29:36 AM

Neurons: 2,645,202
Quotation of the Day

I have outlived certain desires. I have lost friends, some by death...others through sheer inability to cross the street. I am not so gifted as at one time seemed likely.

Bully_rus
Posted: Tuesday, December 19, 2017 4:11:53 AM

Neurons: 190,686
Daemon wrote:

Yeah. It is a true blessing to be able to outlive certain desires... Cheer up.
zina antoaneta
Posted: Tuesday, December 19, 2017 5:18:40 AM

Neurons: 157,352
The Waves--such a delightful little book!
raghd muhi al-deen
Posted: Tuesday, December 19, 2017 1:14:44 PM

Neurons: 92,454
English Novelist

with my pleasure
monamagda
Posted: Tuesday, December 19, 2017 2:59:58 PM

Neurons: 4,647,046

Context from :
The Waves

Page 110

‘The truth is that I am not one of those who find their satisfaction in one person, or in infinity. The private room bores me, also the sky. My being only glitters when all its facets are exposed to many people. Let them fail and I am full of holes, dwindling like burnt paper. Oh, Mrs Moffat, Mrs Moffat, I say, come and sweep it all up. Things have dropped from me. I have outlived certain desires; I have lost friends, some by death — Percival — others through sheer inability to cross the street. I am not so gifted as at one time seemed likely. Certain things lie beyond my scope. I shall never understand the harder problems of philosophy. Rome is the limit of my travelling. As I drop asleep at night it strikes me sometimes with a pang that I shall never see savages in Tahiti spearing fish by the light of a blazing cresset, or a lion spring in the jungle, or a naked man eating raw flesh. Nor shall I learn Russian or read the Vedas. I shall never again walk bang into the pillar-box. (But still a few stars fall through my night, beautifully, from the violence of that concussion.) But as I think, truth has come nearer. For many years I crooned complacently, “My children . . . my wife . . . my house . . . my dog.” As
Sue Dalziel
Posted: Wednesday, December 20, 2017 12:48:38 AM

Neurons: 36,246
So she was not talking about herself at all. Somehow this quote seems more appropriate for a man to have said even a fictional one!