The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

White House to reverse organic regulation against farmer's and lobby's wishes Options
progpen
Posted: Monday, December 18, 2017 9:01:56 AM

Neurons: 230,119
https://www.mprnews.org/story/2017/12/15/npr-trump-administration-moves-to-kill-rules-for-organic-eggs
In a move that even has the Organic Trade Organization and organic farmers against it, the current administration says it will "withdraw a regulation that would have required organic egg producers to give their hens room to graze outdoors."

The move was widely anticipated; the U.S. Department of Agriculture has repeatedly delayed the date on which these regulations would go into effect. But organic advocates still reacted with outrage and promised to fight the decision in court.

It's an unusual situation, because in this case the demand for regulation is coming from the very organic farmers who would need to meet those new rules. But those farmers say those rules are needed to maintain a level playing field in the organic industry.

Further diluting the country's food regulation is having the over all effect of making the food production industries in the US closer to those of Russia and China. Granted, this is not something that only the current administration has done. The dilution of the food regulations has been going on for several decades and has nothing to do with health and safety and everything to do with pandering to the big agriculture corporations and business interests against those of the small producers.

The rule to kill the regulations for organic eggs will further muddy the already muddy waters of food safety and labeling in the US, but more than that it will make it even more difficult for small farmers to survive and compete against corporations who are being given unfair business advantages.

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
taurine
Posted: Monday, December 18, 2017 11:35:23 AM

Neurons: 64,579
Dear progpen,

I am not entirely certain, what actually are the requirements to classify produce as organic egg, but I think that giving hens room to graze outdoors is one of the most important conditions to be fulfilled. Otherwise, how can eggs be classified as organic if hens don't graze outdoors?
I don't believe in any conditions artificially created to give hens the same quality of enjoyment of their food. I think that for hens nothing can be more fantastic than lovely worm picked up from the ground.
It is my opinion that to get organic eggs, it is vital for the hens to freely range around, have their time to think about which worm to pick up, and enjoy it in the natural environment.
Some people might have said that mental disposition is not important for animals, because they are animals. I don't agree with this sort of thinking. I think that the better conditions are created for livestock, the better the quality of their produce. Milk included.

J'ai perdu mes amis en Afrique durant la dernière semaine de 2017
Hope123
Posted: Monday, December 18, 2017 11:57:11 AM

Neurons: 43,441
Trump administration cares for nothing except making money for big corporations. The labels will now have to read free range AND organic - IF the consumer is to be made aware.

We have visited the farm where the supermarket gets our organic free range eggs and they are so labelled with both descriptions. We eat only grass fed beef and other meats and have cut down on the amount. We actually drive many miles (and stock up the freezer) to get our meat directly from a farmer.

I've only seen photos and videos of the poor creatures in mainstream farming - poultry, swine, and cattle - that do not even have enough space to move. In a process called debeaking the hens have to have their beaks trimmed or removed so they don't peck each other to death to get room. Pigs need room to root, an inherent need, which they are denied. Recently I saw several videos of humans abusing and hitting cattle. A woman in Canada was charged with giving pigs water as they sat at a truck stop all jammed in waiting for slaughter. I didn't hear the end of the case - I hope they dropped the charges when she was just being humane.

Disgusting what many humans do to animals, each other, and the environment in the name of greed and money.

Consumers are responsible as well when we just grab the supermarket food and our clothing without checking to see where it came from - as long as it is the cheapest, that's all many of us look for.

But we can vote with our pocketbooks to make things better for everyone.

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.
progpen
Posted: Monday, December 18, 2017 12:08:52 PM

I used to deliver feed to hog confinements in north central Iowa and can say the it forced us to stop buying pork from the corporate producers. Just coundn't stomach it after seeing the conditions every day.

Wilmar (USA)
Posted: Monday, December 18, 2017 5:32:51 PM

Neurons: 246,422
NPR and Canadians... Yep.
taurine
Posted: Monday, December 18, 2017 6:05:58 PM

Neurons: 64,579
I don't believe in the opinion that the administration of the President of the U.S. cares for nothing except of making money for big corporations.
I am not living in the U.S. but I am trying to understand what the meaning of the U.S. administration behind their acts might have been.
It is my understanding that the current President of the U.S. has been elected thanks to the voice of people who wanted to make America great.
And I hope that, the voice of the people who know about farming will be taken into consideration while making any decision on the organic food.
I had been 14 years old when I worked on a farm during a summertime. I worked on strawberries, cucumbers, and cutting grass.
And I know the difference between fresh milk from the cow and from the shop. Needless to say about eggs.

In developed countries there is stringent law in force to prevent labeling food as organic if it is not organic at all.
I am more than hoping that in the U.S. there are people working hard every day to prove that they are paid for their work for their good job done. This means that opinion about lack of proper involvement from the responsible American agencies dealing with the quality of the food might have been groundless.

The current U.S. administration has to deal with the problems not solved by the previous administration.

The conditions under which animals are handled have not been created by the current administration of the Government. President Trump is less than a year in his office.
Perhaps, a wise voice from the Canada might be appreciated with the proper guidance. But I am actually more than hoping that in the U.S. are people ready to express their opinion to the proper bodies.

J'ai perdu mes amis en Afrique durant la dernière semaine de 2017
progpen
Posted: Monday, December 18, 2017 6:37:15 PM

Wilmar (USA) wrote:
NPR and Canadians... Yep.

Thank you for agreeing.

progpen
Posted: Tuesday, December 19, 2017 7:32:26 AM

taurine wrote:
I don't believe in the opinion that the administration of the President of the U.S. cares for nothing except of making money for big corporations.
I am not living in the U.S. but I am trying to understand what the meaning of the U.S. administration behind their acts might have been.
It is my understanding that the current President of the U.S. has been elected thanks to the voice of people who wanted to make America great.
And I hope that, the voice of the people who know about farming will be taken into consideration while making any decision on the organic food.
I had been 14 years old when I worked on a farm during a summertime. I worked on strawberries, cucumbers, and cutting grass.
And I know the difference between fresh milk from the cow and from the shop. Needless to say about eggs.

In developed countries there is stringent law in force to prevent labeling food as organic if it is not organic at all.
I am more than hoping that in the U.S. there are people working hard every day to prove that they are paid for their work for their good job done. This means that opinion about lack of proper involvement from the responsible American agencies dealing with the quality of the food might have been groundless.

The current U.S. administration has to deal with the problems not solved by the previous administration.

The conditions under which animals are handled have not been created by the current administration of the Government. President Trump is less than a year in his office.
Perhaps, a wise voice from the Canada might be appreciated with the proper guidance. But I am actually more than hoping that in the U.S. are people ready to express their opinion to the proper bodies

Taurine. I agree, and stated so in my post that the problem didn't start with this administration. I've posted several times over the years about the problems with the FDA, USDA, big AG, organics and food in general here in the US. The problem is not related to one administration, but that does not excuse this administration just because "everyone is doing it". I also do disagree with your observation in the first sentence because the current administration has shown repeatedly through their actions that they are pandering to the largest lobbies and the big moneyed interests. This is not what the people elected him to do.