The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

John Jay (1745) Options
Daemon
Posted: Monday, December 11, 2017 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 67,902
John Jay (1745)

Though Jay initially deplored the growing conflict between Britain and its American colonies, he became a staunch supporter of the revolution once it began. He was heavily involved in early US government and urged ratification of the Constitution. He served as the first chief justice of the Supreme Court, among other posts. Today considered one of the "Founding Fathers," Jay once joked that he could travel from Boston to Philadelphia by the light of his burning effigies after he had done what? More...
KSPavan
Posted: Tuesday, December 12, 2017 4:26:18 AM

Neurons: 2,106,755
Today's Birthday
John Jay (1745)
Though Jay initially deplored the growing conflict between Britain and its American colonies, he became a staunch supporter of the revolution once it began. He was heavily involved in early US government and urged ratification of the Constitution. He served as the first chief justice of the Supreme Court, among other posts.
raghd muhi al-deen
Posted: Tuesday, December 12, 2017 12:16:57 PM

Neurons: 92,454
American statesman

with my pleasure
philips daughter
Posted: Tuesday, December 12, 2017 3:54:18 PM

Neurons: 25,964
This was a man of such excellent character that he was the first president of the Continental Congress during the revolutionary war. Alexander Hamilton, James Madison and John Jay wrote the Federalist Papers outlining the reasons that our country should have constitutional rule of the people and for the people. I wish I knew him better. When George Washington first formed his cabinet Jay had first choice for any position and he chose The Supreme Court. To me the guarantees of our rights and the laws we live by is what made the USA exceptional. He advocated for the abolition of slavery and the education of slaves. New York abolished slavery when Jay was governor.